Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Getting into the anime scene =^.^=

Which animes can I binge-watch to escape my crippling depression?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by BlindingLight)

Paging @AngryJellyfish !!

(Except I can't tag on the app )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jneill)
    Paging @AngryJellyfish !!

(Except I can't tag on the app )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *pages AngryJellyfish on your behalf and moves to TV Shows*

ReputationRep:

Gin Tama
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'm relatively new to Anime and have begun watching the series Death Note which I think is fantastic. A friend of mine said to me that it's a good place to start. Watching the first episode will give you a good indication of whether you'll like it or not.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Hello! :wavey:

For general newbie-friendly series, I'd suggest looking at the recommendations in Aiko's Beginner's Guide to Anime thread, at the bottom below the history and other info (but all that makes for good reading as well if you're interested!)

Otherwise, I'm happy to make more personalized recommendations, if you let me know what genre(s) you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of anime do you like? Action, comedy, romance, horror, crime, etc?

I'm not an anime connoisseur by any means, but some of my favourites are Psycho Pass, Blue Exorcist, Noragami, Saint Young Men, Death Note, and if you haven't already seen it, Ouran High School Host Club is a good one for something uplifting and not-so-serious. Very "fluffy" but it's satire of cliches in Shoujo. It really depends on your tastes.

ReputationRep:
    Steins;Gate (my fav anime, it's about a group of people who figure out a way to send emails back in time),
    Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (you don't need to have watched any other stuff for this - this series is amazing, the art is stunning and the action scenes are great),
    Monster (really good psychological thriller about a doctor accused of murder),
    One Punch Man (great animation and it's quite funny, about a guy who's depressed because he's become too strong),
    Cowboy Bebop (classic scifi western set in space - everyone loves this show),
    Death Note (about someone who realises that the names of people he writes in a book end up dead - it's really good),

Another one you may enjoy is Attack on Titan.

ReputationRep:
    The first anime that really got me into anime was death note, i highly recommend it.I also recommend black butler,blue exorcist,mirrai nikki and noragami,these are some of my favourite animes.

ReputationRep:
    I would highly second that Gin Tama recommendation; certainly one of the best comedy anime/manga I've encountered in a while. I would also suggest Osomatsu-san. It's a really quirky comedy, which doesn't require a lot of understanding of Japanese pop culture like Gin Tama does, and all of the jokes immediately land.

My favourite series is probably Code Geass: Lelouch's Revolution.

ReputationRep:
    Not really into anime that much anymore, but sword art online will always be my fav, closely followed by death note.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    If you want to find out about all upcoming Anime series, AngryJellyfish has kindly created a thread for anyone interested!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of genres do you like
    also do you want subbed or dubbed ( I like anime but I always do something else while watching so I generally watch dubbed)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    If you want to find out all upcoming Anime series, AngryJellyfish has kindly created a thread for anyone interested!
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4457774 :blow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fardm76)
    Gin Tama
    YAAAAAAAAASSSSSS I love how you put it separately, you sneaky little thing

ReputationRep:
    https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity

This would help you get in touch with popular series!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have not really seen much but....

Typical beginner options:

Naruto
    Bleach
    FMA: Brotherhood (awesome)
    Death Note
    Attack on Titan

Random recommendation as I watched it recently:

Claymore

Also, some of the films are great: Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke etc. are worth a watch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    https://myanimelist.net/animelist/vi...der=4&order2=0

If you are new avoid the ones I've put below 8 (especially the 4 and 2 rating ones, fml) apart from nisekoi (that was weird), maybe watch log horizon but it was pretty bland to me and it wasn't that odd to be honest so you can get into it easily. Also watch the extra Shingeki no Kyojin stuff after the main series.

I would also suggest Angel Beats on there since I haven't actually updated that page in ages. Also avoid Hellsing with a mile long stick, that ****s weird if you are new especially ultimate.

Also violence warning on the ones in 8-10:
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Another (just lol)

ReputationRep:
    It would help if you are more specific. There are hundreds and great anime but a general genre would be helpful.

i think a good starting point is Afro Samurai, because it has the best soundtrack of all the anime.

ReputationRep:

I honestly didnt really like crime/murder/mystery but Death Note was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK3lkfhX_XY - FAN MADE TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZtOrm-WPk - THIS REVEALS MORE (dont click if you dont want hints/spoilers about the plot).

It was my first anime and a good first anime for anyone really.

Personally I really like fluffy anime - Ao Haru Ride is a good one

SORRY I COULDNT FIND SUBS FOR THE TRAILER - the actual anime has subs though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.