Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from university with a degree in mechanical and thermal engineering last year. Since then, I've struggled to find a job in that field in the UK.
    It's been almost a year of doing absolutely nothing and I feel like I went to uni for nothing. I have found a German company now and I'm thinking of applying for a job there, since they are looking for trainees. Since it's a trainee position I don't think it will pay a lot and I'm scared of moving so far away from home. On the other hand, it could be a really great job opportunity and it would look great on my resume.

What would you do? I can't find a job here at all :/
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Moving to Germany could be very exciting for you!
    There's a lot of things you need to think about though: Are you able to find out the salary of this position? And if you do find out and notice it is lower than what you are expecting, is there a chance to progress in the company and get promoted? Will their be a language barrier?

Also, have you had a look on the Milkround website? They have a whole section dedication for Engineering roles:
    http://www.milkround.com/jobs/engine...ring/#browsing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenife)
    On the other hand, it could be a really great job opportunity and it would look great on my resume.
    I think that you answered your own question, assuming that the issues can be overcome.
    What would you do? I can't find a job here at all :/
    I did. My first job post-university was in France.
    Since it's a trainee position I don't think it will pay a lot and I'm scared of moving so far away from home.
    Apply anyway, and, if they offer it you, you'll get all the information.

It's not that far, especially if a low-cost airline flies to nearby. I assume that you went away to university, so it's only a step-up from that IMO. At some point, it's wise (IMO) to go out on your own. Life is about experiences, and this would be a big one. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.