Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU citizen - 5-year residency evidence Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am having a bit of a tricky time with evidencing the 5-year residency requirement for a tuition fee loan and seem to be getting some conflicting advice from SFE. Is anyone able to clarify or give some advice?

I am an EU citizen but have lived in the UK continuously for nearly 10 years now. I have been at my current address for more than 5 years, so I thought that proving 5 year residency would be fairly straightforward. This has not turned out to be the case.

On the 5-year residency form, one of the acceptable forms of evidence is stated as follows:

"Letter from your local council or housing association
    Dates on the letter must cover the dates you’ve given us"

So I asked my council to write a letter on headed paper, with a reference number so that it could be followed up with a phone call, confirming how long I have been resident at my current address (well beyond 5 years ago) and confirming that I have been paying council tax at this address for the entire time. I thought that this would prove to SFE rather nicely that I have indeed been resident in the UK for the required 5 years. I phoned SFE before sending this letter along with the 5-year residency form to confirm that this is acceptable evidence, and was told that it was. When I phoned up a couple of weeks later, I was told that the evidence has not been accepted and I would need to send other evidence, covering the entire 5-year period continuously.

This is a difficult requirement - I do have old council tax bills going back some years, but not all the way back to 5 years ago. The alternative of providing bank statement/utility bills seems unworkable as I can't just provide a few, I have to cover the entire ~1.5yr period not covered by council tax bills continuously. And of course, these cannot be printed from online accounts, they have to be originals. Surely I cannot be the only one who is struggling with this, in this age of paperless billing? I have phoned my landline telephone provider (just as an example) and asked them if they can re-generate my bills covering that period but they want to charge me a not-insignificant fee for this and I'm sure this would take them a while to do. I don't even know whether they would be counted as "originals".

It really doesn't help that I get slightly different advice every time I phone SFE and time is ticking on for the start of my first module - I really need to get funding in place.

I still don't understand why the letter from my local council, which is dated and confirms continuous residency for the entire 5-year period, is not acceptable when "letter from council" is so clearly stated as an example of acceptable evidence on SFE's own paperwork. What are my chances of trying to get this escalated to someone senior in SFE and getting the evidence looked at again?

I totally understand and support the legal requirement for 5-year residency but surely to any reasonable person I have proved that I have been living in the UK for that time already, with such a clear letter from my local authority.

Apologies for the long post. Any words of wisdom would be very gratefully received.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

There are other forms of evidence you can send, it must cover the full 5 years. I'm sorry I don't have access to your account to see why the council tax letter was not accepted. Please see below.

Evidence for Students

Council Tax Bills

One for each year

Housing and Council tax Benefit Letters

Covers period stated in letter

Utility Bills

Water Bills, Electric Bills, Gas Bills, Phone Bills

P60’s

One for each year if showing full time wage

Not hand written.

Wage slips

Must look genuine not ones which look like they could be easily typed up on a computer

HMRC letters

Covers period stated in letter or issue date

Child Tax Credits letter

Covers period stated in letter

Tax Returns and Tax Calculations

Showing Full name and address

(Not Hand written) – One for year each year stated in the letter e.g. 11/12 would cover two years.

Original Bank statements

Must cover start of course and show regular UK activity.

EDOSTAR Statements

These can be accepted as full evidence as long as they are received with a cover letter on headed paper from the bank.

They must show regular activity.

Duplicate Bank Statements

Must cover start of course and show regular activity.

To be accepted they must also either be:

Be received with a cover letter from the bank.

Be stamped by than bank or

State they are duplicate

EDOSTAR Statements

These can be accepted as full evidence as long as they are received with a cover letter on headed paper from the bank.

They must show regular activity.

Internet printed bank statements

Internet bank statements must be

Printed in the branch

Be stamped by the bank and

Must have the banks URL showing.

Most statements will state Printed in Branch at the top of the statement and the URL will usually show at the bottom of the page.

UK Border Agency Letters

Confirming date status granted

Home Office Documents

Confirming date status granted

For Students who are Minors

(Under 18 at 1st date requested)

Original Certificates

These would cover the year before the certificate was issued as this would confirm student was in the UK studying.

Letters from College or School

Stating dates they attended to and from on letter. Letter must be on headed paper with full address and hand signed.

Young Persons account

Showing small amounts in and out e.g. EMA payments

Child Tax Credits letter

In Parents name as long as Student is named on the award

School Reports

Showing year they attended, letter must be on headed paper with full address and hand signed by a teacher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.