Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So looking for a basic laptop for just homework/browsing so don't think I need massive specs so thinking the budget of around £300 should work (but there is some flexibility).

Looking around and so far I've seen stuff like:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1...skuId=515-1253

I guess the only real issue might be I could get a better processor?

Anywhere else I should look or brands to avoid?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That's actually a pretty good price for 8GB of RAM! Processor not too bad especially for what you want to do, only things I would consider are weight-it's not too heavy but if you're planning on bringing it into school/university every day you might want to try to find something a little lighter, and battery life is fairly poor compared to what you can get nowadays

ReputationRep:
    Reasonable laptop for the price, it's rare to find 8GB of RAM in super cheap models. That said £300 is pretty much the entry price for new laptops nowadays, to get something better you'd be spending closer to £400. But even finding a solid device at £300 can be a challenge. Not a personal fan of acer myself but there's nothing inherently wrong with the laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ions)
    That's actually a pretty good price for 8GB of RAM! Processor not too bad especially for what you want to do, only things I would consider are weight-it's not too heavy but if you're planning on bringing it into school/university every day you might want to try to find something a little lighter, and battery life is fairly poor compared to what you can get nowadays
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Reasonable laptop for the price, it's rare to find 8GB of RAM in super cheap models. That said £300 is pretty much the entry price for new laptops nowadays, to get something better you'd be spending closer to £400. But even finding a solid device at £300 can be a challenge. Not a personal fan of acer myself but there's nothing inherently wrong with the laptop.
    Thanks both - I figured there would have to be some compromises with such a low price.

Also saw this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Idea...eywords=laptop

£35 more expensive but same memory and RAM but with an i3-5005U processor. Is it worth paying £35 extra for that? Not sure how highly Lenovo's are thought of these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Thanks both - I figured there would have to be some compromises with such a low price.

Also saw this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Idea...eywords=laptop

£35 more expensive but same memory and RAM but with an i3-5005U processor. Is it worth paying £35 extra for that? Not sure how highly Lenovo's are thought of these days.
    Personally I'd say it absolutely is worth the extra money. I'd put a lot more trust in Lenovo than Acer.

It's difficult to say if you'll get a major boost in performance though. Tesco don't list the processor model, other than it being an A8. A little bit of searching suggests it is an A8 7410 but I can't guarantee that. Comparing the two here:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-A8-7410

We can see that the A8 is outperformed by the i3. Interestingly it also provides the results for the i5 5200U, which is an option on the Lenovo for an extra £70. It's unlikely you'd need it but it's worth considering.

But yes, the Lenovo and Ideapad range are generally far more trustworthy than the Acer and spec wise the Lenovo wins. I'd say it were worth the extra £35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    So looking for a basic laptop for just homework/browsing so don't think I need massive specs so thinking the budget of around £300 should work (but there is some flexibility).

Looking around and so far I've seen stuff like:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1...skuId=515-1253

I guess the only real issue might be I could get a better processor?

Anywhere else I should look or brands to avoid?

Thanks
    I paid £329 for a Lenovo laptop. I was recommended it by the adviser at currys, seems perfect for your purposes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Personally I'd say it absolutely is worth the extra money. I'd put a lot more trust in Lenovo than Acer.

It's difficult to say if you'll get a major boost in performance though. Tesco don't list the processor model, other than it being an A8. A little bit of searching suggests it is an A8 7410 but I can't guarantee that. Comparing the two here:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-A8-7410

We can see that the A8 is outperformed by the i3. Interestingly it also provides the results for the i5 5200U, which is an option on the Lenovo for an extra £70. It's unlikely you'd need it but it's worth considering.

But yes, the Lenovo and Ideapad range are generally far more trustworthy than the Acer and spec wise the Lenovo wins. I'd say it were worth the extra £35.
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I paid £329 for a Lenovo laptop. I was recommended it by the adviser at currys, seems perfect for your purposes
    Thanks both! Really much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Like already said, I would trust lenovo a little more than acer, I like lenovos
    If you can, go into a curry's or john lewis to try them both out. Make sure to pick them up to assess the weight and most importantly test out the keyboard properly! Some people like a lot of travel (keys push down far) and others don't.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.