Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR GCSE Latin Paper 1 + Paper 2 Mock Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone here did the 2016 paper? did you find the paper hard? what do you recommend doing for revision?

ReputationRep:
    I did Latin GCSE in June (last year now). The first language paper was easy, the second wasn't as hard as I was expecting either (though I say that not knowing whether I translated anything incorrectly!). Prose was easy, verse not so much (though I'd hardly done any proper past papers b/c the set texts were new so there weren't any verse ones - it was Virgil.). I hadn't practised the mini essays at the end but they weren't expecting anything too complex, and I'd already done English lit.
    Revision - learn the vocab. and practice translating constructions. There'll be some words you could translate two ways, e.g. malo.
    For the set texts, learn the English translation of the texts and know how each word contributes to the meaning. I printed off the set texts and wrote the translation in and connected the translated words to the Latin words.

ReputationRep:
    I did the 2016 paper and got an A* overall, i found that all the practice paper I did were far harder than my actual exam!

my most important revision tip is to drill in your grammar, like DRILL, i jumped into latin the year before GCSE without any experience before and ended up getting 100% in one of my language papers- all because my teacher chiseled away at my sanity until my grammar was pinned down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennysons_maud)
    I did Latin GCSE in June (last year now). The first language paper was easy, the second wasn't as hard as I was expecting either (though I say that not knowing whether I translated anything incorrectly!). Prose was easy, verse not so much (though I'd hardly done any proper past papers b/c the set texts were new so there weren't any verse ones - it was Virgil.). I hadn't practised the mini essays at the end but they weren't expecting anything too complex, and I'd already done English lit.
    Revision - learn the vocab. and practice translating constructions. There'll be some words you could translate two ways, e.g. malo.
    For the set texts, learn the English translation of the texts and know how each word contributes to the meaning. I printed off the set texts and wrote the translation in and connected the translated words to the Latin words.
    Thank you! I did the first paper. I finished it way too early for my liking, but I guess it's done. Now I have the paper 2 and Prose tomorrow. We have a verse later on. Our prose is Pliny and Tacitus. Any tips on what to do the night before haha. Our verse is Virgil. If you remember the actual story and can explain, I'd be grateful cause I have no idea about it

(Original post by uni2018)
    I did the 2016 paper and got an A* overall, i found that all the practice paper I did were far harder than my actual exam!

my most important revision tip is to drill in your grammar, like DRILL, i jumped into latin the year before GCSE without any experience before and ended up getting 100% in one of my language papers- all because my teacher chiseled away at my sanity until my grammar was pinned down
    and vocab? haha. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey what is the translation part for paper 2 like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.