Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher going to write a bad reference? Watch

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm filling out my UCAS application, my side is done. My tutor is happy with my PS and we've been waiting for the only teacher to complete my reference. She said she would get it done before the internal deadline on 30th Nov, and she missed that.

Then she said she would get it done by the time the new term begins, she still hasn't done that. Bare in mind that there are only 4 of us in her lessons, and our other teachers who have a lot of students still managed to make a good reference on time.

Now I am being told that she has nothing much that is positive to say in my reference, despite having 100% attendance in her lessons and contributing as much as I can in her lessons. I have the highest grade in her class, yet I'm going to get a bad reference?

I guess this all started in Year 12 when she assumed I was cheating when I left my notes at the far corner of my table. Since then, she always assumed I am untrustworthy even though we had a meeting and agreed that it was a mistake. I have made sure that I do everything I can to make her know that I am putting in the effort. I believe it is a massive slap in the face despite all the hard work I've been putting in last term when certain extenuating circumstances happened. (close cousin passed).

My referee has assured me that if it doesn't meet the standards that he believes makes a good reference then he'll send it back to her. I don't know why she'd leave it for so late when she knows how important it is to us.

I am so worried, I have really good references from my other teachers but this is going to make me look like a poor student. I don't know what to do, I really want an unconditional from a couple of unis but I feel this is going to hinder me so much...

ReputationRep:
    Can you ask for a different teacher to write your reference? You only need one, surely, so the good references from other teachers are all that matters?
    If you can't, I've heard a couple of people say that when someone can't be bothered to do the reference, they'll write their own and get the referee to sign it off. So you could ask her if it'd be okay to get another teacher to write a reference and see if she agrees with what it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm filling out my UCAS application, my side is done. My tutor is happy with my PS and we've been waiting for the only teacher to complete my reference. She said she would get it done before the internal deadline on 30th Nov, and she missed that.

Then she said she would get it done by the time the new term begins, she still hasn't done that. Bare in mind that there are only 4 of us in her lessons, and our other teachers who have a lot of students still managed to make a good reference on time.

Now I am being told that she has nothing much that is positive to say in my reference, despite having 100% attendance in her lessons and contributing as much as I can in her lessons. I have the highest grade in her class, yet I'm going to get a bad reference?

I guess this all started in Year 12 when she assumed I was cheating when I left my notes at the far corner of my table. Since then, she always assumed I am untrustworthy even though we had a meeting and agreed that it was a mistake. I have made sure that I do everything I can to make her know that I am putting in the effort. I believe it is a massive slap in the face despite all the hard work I've been putting in last term when certain extenuating circumstances happened. (close cousin passed).

My referee has assured me that if it doesn't meet the standards that he believes makes a good reference then he'll send it back to her. I don't know why she'd leave it for so late when she knows how important it is to us.

I am so worried, I have really good references from my other teachers but this is going to make me look like a poor student. I don't know what to do, I really want an unconditional from a couple of unis but I feel this is going to hinder me so much...
    That teacher is leaving it a bit late to say she can't write a nice reference for you.
    Why didn't you just get your referee to write your reference?
    You should recommend what to write in the reference if they're struggling.
    Still idk why you'd choose that teacher to write it unless they know you fairly well and you get on well???

ReputationRep:
    Taking your story at face value, we have to accept teachers are still just human beings, and some human beings are bad people.

If your tutor is standing in the path of your university application escalate the issue internally with the college/school. They have a vested interest in students progressing from further education to higher education, they will not look kindly on a member of staff standing in the way of that.

Speak to your student's union, head of year, or the dean. Just keep kicking up a fuss until someone resolved the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If as you say your attendance is solid and you're academically solid there is no reason not to provide a reference for you. They know you cannot progress onto university without one. If there has been any disciplinary action then if they aren't willing to provide a reference they should have expelled you from the courses, if you haven't been expelled then they have no argument for not providing a positive reference.

(Original post by oopqoo)
    Can you ask for a different teacher to write your reference? You only need one, surely, so the good references from other teachers are all that matters?
    If you can't, I've heard a couple of people say that when someone can't be bothered to do the reference, they'll write their own and get the referee to sign it off. So you could ask her if it'd be okay to get another teacher to write a reference and see if she agrees with what it says.
    She's the Head of Faculty, I have another teacher that teaches me the subject but I don't know if he's even allowed to. I have a feeling that she has it in for me, personally rather than professionally.

(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    If there has been any disciplinary action then if they aren't willing to provide a reference they should have expelled you from the courses, if you haven't been expelled then they have no argument for not providing a positive reference.
    We had a meeting back in Year 12, we both signed a document stating that I'll pass the year as long as I retake the exam papers, hand h/w in time and so forth.

I still don't know why after 7 months she decides to bring this up as an excuse to write a poor reference after all this hassle of retaking an exam paper just to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We had a meeting back in Year 12, we both signed a document stating that I'll pass the year as long as I retake the exam papers, hand h/w in time and so forth.

I still don't know why after 7 months she decides to bring this up as an excuse to write a poor reference after all this hassle of retaking an exam paper just to prove a point.
    You say what you did was an honest mistake, maybe it was actually a silly mistake it shouldn't matter, as a young person mistakes happen and they dealt with it according to their own disciplinary procedure in a way they were satisfied to allow you to continue attending your courses.

That alone means they are obligated to assist you in your application to higher education otherwise, why didn't they just expel you?

If you're not confident kicking up a sufficient fuss alone to escalate your grievance get your parents involved.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    She won't give you a bad reference, it might just be pretty run of the mill. If you have someone who is going to check it for quality - which you do - I wouldn't worry about the content too much. I would start making formal complaints and escalating this very quickly the the school governors.

I remember when I applied I had to chase the individual teachers and then edit the reference myself to make sure it was submitted by the Oct deadline, lol.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Just get someone else to do your reference? It can be written by any teacher as far as I know. Or speak to someone at the college about it, thye generally won't give bad references because why would it matter to them, it's better for them to have students get into good unis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.