Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm concerned that my college are trying to lie about the requirements of my course. They have said all year that we HAVE to complete work experience in order to pass the course, if we don't it's an immediate fail. I have applied to over 30 companies, had my application/cover letters checked by teachers (which were all perfect), and I still haven't secured a placement.

Naturally I have been getting extremely stressed, particularly when I need this grade to secure my university place. However I went online and looked at the specification for this year of my course and it says 'the unit may include a unit of work placement for those students wishing to progress directly into employment'. The spec includes other alternatives including research portfolios, CV writing, applications, research into agencies and freelancing work. There is nearly a page of alternative methods to pass this particular unit.

I took this to my teacher and asked her if I could focus on the alternatives and pass on that, like the spec clearly suggests. She point blank refused and said there is no way I can pass without placement. The spec even states that the teachers should 'select a delivery method that supports the development and interests of each particular student'. I'm not even applying for a degree in what I study now! I don't need this placement anyway.

Am I wrong in thinking they're making things more awkward than necessary?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm concerned that my college are trying to lie about the requirements of my course. They have said all year that we HAVE to complete work experience in order to pass the course, if we don't it's an immediate fail. I have applied to over 30 companies, had my application/cover letters checked by teachers (which were all perfect), and I still haven't secured a placement.

Naturally I have been getting extremely stressed, particularly when I need this grade to secure my university place. However I went online and looked at the specification for this year of my course and it says 'the unit may include a unit of work placement for those students wishing to progress directly into employment'. The spec includes other alternatives including research portfolios, CV writing, applications, research into agencies and freelancing work. There is nearly a page of alternative methods to pass this particular unit.

I took this to my teacher and asked her if I could focus on the alternatives and pass on that, like the spec clearly suggests. She point blank refused and said there is no way I can pass without placement. The spec even states that the teachers should 'select a delivery method that supports the development and interests of each particular student'. I'm not even applying for a degree in what I study now! I don't need this placement anyway.

No, they're not making things awkward. They have selected the option they think is best and that they want to offer. If you don't like it then you can go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:

You could apply for a charity shop job?

(Original post by Juno)
    No, they're not making things awkward. They have selected the option they think is best and that they want to offer. If you don't like it then you can go elsewhere.
    No other course on the UAL exam board at my college is doing compulsory work experience. I'm flagged at that college as someone with pretty severe PTSD and stress disorders, hence the worry i'm experiencing right now. The spec states it's at the discretion of the teacher and individual, and should meet the individuals needs first. Don't be so ridiculous as to suggest I fail getting into uni and 'go elsewhere'.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

have you actually asked the college for help or tips on how to find a work placement? And why would your college lie?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    This is 100% something that can only be dealt with at your College. You need to take the paperwork, your CV, you application history etc to someone else at your College and ask them to explain why the work experience seems to be treated as mandatory, and why you can't take alternatives to complete the course. Keep asking people until you get a satisfactory answer, but be aware that a satisfactory answer might explain why the work experience element is mandatory - ie the answer might not be what you want. However, you are entitled to an explanation.

Just keep going in a polite, rational and well informed way until you get an explanation.

I've taken evidence to and had meetings with the work experience tutor and my teachers 5 times now. It has to be subject related which makes it harder. I just don't see how they're happy to let my future go down the drain like that over a work experience placement. Even if I have to do it within college to complete the hours, i'd just rather get it done.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken evidence to and had meetings with the work experience tutor and my teachers 5 times now. It has to be subject related which makes it harder. I just don't see how they're happy to let my future go down the drain like that over a work experience placement. Even if I have to do it within college to complete the hours, i'd just rather get it done.
    When i went to college back in 2000, they actually had a dedicated work placement officer, who secured us all placements. Are you sure that your college doesn't have someone like that? If not i would definitely ask to speak to a manager/team leader, because you shouldn't be failing for this, something that is not your fault!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.