Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UUU to A*A*A* in 5 months? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Most a level courses I have seen for private study online courses (not worth it your basically paying them way to much to send you kites way worse then you can get for books you would spend pennies on)

Suggest 360 hours per a level study time. 360*3=1080

Now it's early January and exams are in may may should be used for revision not learning from scratch. However a few days in may wouldn't hurt so I'll assume we have four months. Let's call it 30 days a month this gives us 120 days

This equates to 9 hours a day this may sound bad but With good time management is definitely doable. Although this is assuming your starting from scratch which is not the case because you have covered some stuff. So it might be anywhere from 6-8 hours a day it's hard to say depending on what you have really covered how your mind works your ability etc a lot of unknowns.

Long story short if your smart and you work very hard it's doable. But no time to waste you need to jump on it right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    If this is to get into uni, I wouldn't bother. If you're too lazy to study for your A levels, imo you don't deserve uni.
    agahaha dude, i barely turned up to col and i went to 2 lectures in november and 1 in december and im averaging 69-71% in my modules, get off your high horse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    agahaha dude, i barely turned up to col and i went to 2 lectures in november and 1 in december and im averaging 69-71% in my modules, get off your high horse
    Are you going to have that same attitude with employment as well? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to have that same attitude with employment as well? Good luck.
    Youve posted twice and i can tell ya probably an arrogant lil 14 year old, i had a job for over a year and was late once when my car didnt start. Employment is different to uni kiddo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    Youve posted twice and i can tell ya probably an arrogant lil 14 year old, i had a job for over a year and was late once when my car didnt start. Employment is different to uni kiddo
    Blinding logic there. A 14 year old posting on a thread about A levels, which are typically done by 16-18 year olds. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    Blinding logic there. A 14 year old posting on a thread about A levels, which are typically done by 16-18 year olds. Good job.
    literally just facepalmed, no idea if you're familiar with someone using age especially a young one such as 14 to highlight the immaturity of someone but yoy obviously didnt understand what i said.

ReputationRep:
    He's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    literally just facepalmed, no idea if you're familiar with someone using age especially a young one such as 14 to highlight the immaturity of someone but yoy obviously didnt understand what i said.
    How immature of me for stating the fact that if you don't work hard during your A levels, you're chances of succeeding in university are incredibly slim - a post that 6 people obviously agreed with. The horror.

ReputationRep:
    How immature of me for stating the fact that if you don't work hard during your A levels, you're chances of succeeding in university are incredibly slim - a post that 6 people obviously agreed with. The horror.
    I know several people who didnt try at a level, or barely tried that are doing pretty well. Youre extremely naive if you dont understand the extremely vast difference between a levels and uni

ReputationRep:
    I did an assignment in about two hours and got 81%. I got BCC at a level and i honestly dont care because i also revised for like two hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaredzzC)
    He's not worth it.
    What're you worth though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    I did an assignment in about two hours and got 81%. I got BCC at a level and i honestly dont care because i also revised for like two hours
    Fantastic attitude right there. I'm sure your future employers will love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epistasis)
    Okay so I'm probably not at UUU probably DEE or something but is this possible? Been lazy and yet to start learning stuff let alone revising, taking biology chemistry maths. How much work will i need to put in? First exam just over 5 months away
    Like everyone else said 3 A's are realistic however I think you can possibly get A*AA if you grind really hard, sort of like getting up early in the morning around 5 and doing revision for 12 hours a day with breaks in between. However if you are used to being lazy than it would be very difficult to turn your lifestyle around in one day. But hey give it all you've got and prove every single one of us wrong. One of my friend did A levels in one year and he said the longest it took him to get through a unit for all of his subjects was 1 week, he ended up achieving 2 A*'s 1 A. He was doing Chemistry maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic attitude right there. I'm sure your future employers will love it.
    They'll see someone who is pretty happy, and is extremely passionate about the things they love. Sorry if that doesnt conform to your narrow minded views on education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    They'll see someone who is pretty happy, and is extremely passionate about the things they love. Sorry if that doesnt conform to your narrow minded views on education.
    My narrow minded views on education? You mean facts right. Seeing as that's pretty much all i've been stating to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealLifeBane)
    Short answer (Motivational):

Yes you definitely can by working as though you have a full time job for most students in your case but you surely can though how much work depends on many factors such as your intelligence, resources available and many more.

Long answer (Practical):

Firstly, it depends on your academic ability but it seems as though you can given your AS results or not, as anyone made it to be able to chose to do those A-levels has the potential to ace it no matter what. Secondly, it requires a true dedication if you want to obtain those grades.

Therefore, I will give you what worked for me when I was in similar situations and it can be done in less than that time but you must be willing to follow through for each module or then no, I cannot say that you will achieve those results. However, you seem to have that drive that will at least kick start your journey to those A stars by just making a TSR account in order to ask for if it is possible. Again, it is difficult but doable though others say it is not unless your gifted but do not listen to that because many I know, with myself included, prove such people wrong.

Note that, obviously, you have to adapt a few steps for subjects differ greatly and for the subjects you do differ from most of mine so not everything will be applicable. Nevertheless, read everything for the fundamental concepts that attend these steps will get you those grades. In fact, I can almost guarantee you that if you truly follow each step to the point you will get 3 A*s for sure and it is common sense to me so it really does amaze me how so many never do these things.

On the other hand, albeit this is doable, this is hard work and far higher work than the average student can handle so I really do need to emphasize the point but then again A*A*A* is exceptionally above what the average student achieves.

The steps to get an A* :

Step 1) Improve yourself:

Some general tips for productivity and being better overall is necessary for what will follow or this will all feel impossible and will be impossible without this so sub list here:

a) Sleep well, Eat well and stay fit - try to adopt a sport but ensure that it wont get you addicted such as gym instead of football for many but if you can, you can (Sleep is such a prominent issue for many students its a joke so get 8 hours its more important than 7 hours with a more revision)

b)Learn how to study, which is easier said then done so dedicate one week to this. Trust me this will save so much time in the long term.

(the mark of a good student is not in on who knows what to study it, by how to study it - from someone important I forgot :P)

c) Figure out where you find it best to revise (Library and living roof for me with headphones course as my family will say hey if im chilling to long or off task and show my hard work off really )

d) Figure out what ways you find it best to revise and note take - Thomas Frankly (Sub) did a great video on it (Outline method works 4 me)

e) Figure out what types of break for you - but ensure it is a break and not a distraction and you can tell if it is if it is taking your mind away from revision after your break is done (I like long revision sessions matched by slightly less yet still long breaks so if I do 2 hours I will play a game for an hour or slightly more if I am close to ending but be strict to actually end)

f) Get organized because your day to day schedule will get very busy using many apps (but 4 me it was My Study Life and more improtantly Habitica - especially cuz I cannot stick to a revision plan for the life of me)

Now the educational content section...

Step 2) Get hold of the specification (Do it ASAP)

Simple. So important it is a point of its own. Besides that, not much commentary here so do it quick.

That should not have been too hard. Now prepare yourself...

Step 3) Cover it all in detail (100% the hardest but most tied-crucial step as it include many stages) by:

a) Read and using appropriate books (I recommend those that are CGP and whatever your college/sixth form provides)

b) Watch videos (Don't know about the other subjects but for maths was Hegarty Maths and Exam solutions)

c) Practice exam questions

d) Create a glossary

Do not brush over or miss out a single thing at all.

Once more, this is the 'hard work' step that I never liked but got to do because it does take away from your social life and requires real mental toughness for someone like me who used to struggle to do one pomodoro a day. For you specifically, I recommend a chapter a day for maths so that within 30 days give or take a few days for different books have different amounts of chapters or whatever have you.

Clearly, this stage will take many hours of your day everyday but do not measure your work in terms of hours per subject but rather topics covered. Thus, you need to total the amount that must be learnt and plan accordingly as well as realistically.

Hence, as an extension from point (1f) I created a simple yet effective spreadsheet that shows me how each chapter or topics I need to cover and what I have touched, covered and mastered through colour coding. Moreover, I have an overview sheet as the homepage to enable quick inspection in table format of my progress, which displays percentage of the course covered and exactly how much more work must be done from the sum of the custom ranking I adopted for work done from 0, 0.5, 1 representing my understanding. If you want screen shot examples I could post a few.

Then take a week or two for a break and chill. Have real fun. By that time, most ppl wont but most ppl won't get the grades you will ;D Again, have real fun to refuel yourself; you're about to do the boring part.

Step 4) Cover it all again and improve (Aim to finish within a week; this is not as long or demanding as you might expect)

a) Redo notes

b) Update your glossary

c) Revisit troublesome and key questions/topics/ideas and so on

This step is almost relaxing compared to its predecessor and is good way to ease in to the state after that break. Furthermore, step 3 is here is to embed all the knowledge you have gained into your soul as well as to double check you have covered everything in detail. In addition, it is quite fun for some reason. Possibly since you feel as though you are now smart or that you finally finished what you think was unthinkable.

Take a week off for the next step..

5) Sharpen you exam technique and familiarize your self with the exam (this was the the step that rivals step 2 in importance)

a) Do all past/specimen/practice papers in exam conditions (4 real like honestly time yourself in a silent area with nothing but the equipment and assume the accompanying conditions)

b) Do all Solomon papers

c) Mark harshly after each paper (If you can get a good grade with harsh examiner you know you can get a better score with a normal or lenient one)

WAIT! After step 3 you are probably thinking I never want to work this hard again but do not fear. Why? This is not harder at all and it will probably go like this...

Once you do the first exam with a bit of an awkward struggle knowing you know everything that you will be tested on. Market it and it will be a weird of feeling happy and a bit disheartening that after all your hard work you improved but not as much as you desired as a result of all these silly mistakes or lack of familiarity with exams.

Second exam comes around and you do not get fooled by the same traps and start to spot the repeated layout and how much time to spend on it. Mark it and see results increase or decrease by a bit but then you pick up from those mistakes.

Third exam done and you fly through it easily and you now understand the layout and start to spot patterns. Mark it and you see improvements that will drive you to want to do more - or in other words after this point you will not see this as a task but fun because the grade increasing is addictive reward for all that you have done.

10th exam or so and you breeze through the paper expecting certain topics and predicting the questions as well as how it will be marked. This will be the first exam that you are marking with the mark scheme and just ticking and ticking until you reach the end of the mark scheme and realize you got 74/75 or 98/100 and so on. Now, your hooked and excited to do each paper than dreading it.

A couple of papers later and you finally get that 100% and you are so ecstatic and overwhelmed with proud joy that you show everyone in your house, your neighbors, the shop keepers at your local corner shop and then you realize your at that point you dreamed of.

However, once you reach that stage, it is dangerous place for your ego. Subsequently, you have to do the rest of the papers and do not worry if you do a bit worse after wards for exams vary in difficulty and mistakes do happen but just learn from them. (Count for your subjects but for maths doing 2 a day with space for 4 more exams for other subjects you should be done within a month with some float)

Then take two weeks break again because step 4 can be a bit annoying but still reassuring as you will see.

Step 6) Repeat step 5:

a) Do all papers twice and aim to better yourself in each one by aiming for 100%

b) Do all papers thrice and aim to better yourself in each one by getting 100%

c) Do some exams from other exam boards if you want

d) Do those crazy papers if you really want

By now, you already know you will get nothing less than an A grade but you are trying to get an A* so you do not stop eating papers until a day before exam and moments before the exam just look back at what you have from step 4 and chill.

Told you it was a long answer but it follow it right and I promise you the A*s

Spoiler:
    Show

I spent 3 hours writing this cuz I have this much belief in these steps so I really hope you benefit from it

Good luck to everyone I wish you the best

Salaam

may i ask, what did you get in your as levels?

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm probably not at UUU probably DEE or something but is this possible? Been lazy and yet to start learning stuff let alone revising, taking biology chemistry maths. How much work will i need to put in? First exam just over 5 months away
    If this is your attitude towards work you are, quite frankly, f*cked for a degree in medicine

ReputationRep:
    My narrow minded views on education? You mean facts right. Seeing as that's pretty much all i've been stating to you.
    go on then pal. state some facts. I want sources for your statement that low attendance equals low grades at all universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    go on then pal. state some facts. I want sources for your statement that low attendance equals low grades at all universities.
    So, you can admit that with those A levels, you got into a top level uni, and are getting a highly respected degree?

ReputationRep:
    I got through the whole year's worth of biology and chemistry in 3 weeks last year and got an A and a B so I don't think I'm deluding myself honestly now I've thought about it
    Trust me I'm in the same position, I believe you'll do it and most importantly do you believe you can do it - (yes) go for it and prove everyone wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.