The Student Room Group

UUU to A*A*A* in 5 months?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CarysJSLewis
So, you can admit that with those A levels, you got into a top level uni, and are getting a highly respected degree?

Im at a uni I like, which is good for the course i do, which is history. By the sounds you're extremely elitist and from what you've already said Id stay far away from someone like you.

'With those a levels' first off if id have wanted 3 A's, id have got three A's. Instead i focused on being happy and usually just sat in the common room with friends listening to music and playing chess.
Secondly define top level uni. Because other than Cambridge/Oxford i dont believe theres such a thing, different universities excel for different things and labeling one as better than the other is only okay to a certain extent.
As for highly respected degree, im assuming you mean something like Law or medicine, neither of which appeal to me as i wouldn't be happy or interested while doing it, i went with history because i enjoy it and for no other reason.
Original post by Jory
Im at a uni I like, which is good for the course i do, which is history. By the sounds you're extremely elitist and from what you've already said Id stay far away from someone like you.

'With those a levels' first off if id have wanted 3 A's, id have got three A's. Instead i focused on being happy and usually just sat in the common room with friends listening to music and playing chess.
Secondly define top level uni. Because other than Cambridge/Oxford i dont believe theres such a thing, different universities excel for different things and labeling one as better than the other is only okay to a certain extent.
As for highly respected degree, im assuming you mean something like Law or medicine, neither of which appeal to me as i wouldn't be happy or interested while doing it, i went with history because i enjoy it and for no other reason.

Top level unis can be found on the league tables if you're confused.
And it's probably good that you'd stay away from me. I have respect for people who work hard for what they want in life, not those who have an attitude like yours, and just expect to scrape by.
Reply 82
Top level unis can be found on the league tables if you're confused.
And it's probably good that you'd stay away from me. I have respect for people who work hard for what they want in life, not those who have an attitude like yours, and just expect to scrape by.

I dont expect to just scrape by? Im working at a first ahahaha if thats just scraping by you might want to reconsider your position. And I do work hard for what I want in life, its just probably different to what you want.
Original post by Jory
I dont expect to just scrape by? Im working at a first ahahaha if thats just scraping by you might want to reconsider your position. And I do work hard for what I want in life, its just probably different to what you want.

That's nice. This has been fun. I have to sleep now so I can study in the morning, you know, that thing A level students are meant to do.
Reply 84
That's nice. This has been fun. I have to sleep now so I can study in the morning, you know, that thing A level students are meant to do.

Im currently doing a report on the representation of ethnic minorities, dont expect you to understand, uni is a hell of a lot different to a level, which ill be glad to see you learn.
AAA, maybe. Gotta work your butt off my friend
You can do it, just put on the hard work, learn the subjects inside out, practice as many questions as you can, and yeah always try to be positive towards achieving it and believe in yourself. Good luck :borat::borat:
Original post by epistasis
Okay so I'm probably not at UUU probably DEE or something but is this possible? Been lazy and yet to start learning stuff let alone revising, taking biology chemistry maths. How much work will i need to put in? First exam just over 5 months away

same here
This is what's wrong with the current generation people don't respect achievement they hate you for it.

Someone says they want to get A*A*A*

And people hate on them for daring to be so arrogant or wanting to do well apparently hat makes them a snob.

I mean asking why they are in the situation where they need to go from UUU to Thier desired grades in such a short time period is a good question which should be raised but hating on them for targeting such grades and not wanting to just diss and calling them elitist stuck up scum etc is just so wrong and bad for society it is staggering.

the fact that so many young people have such hatred towards those that work hard is not healthy. I previously compared this mentality to communism I take that back I think it's worse and I honk it will have worse results. I have to get out of this country.

Anyway a 2.1 or first from weaker universities is not the same as a 2.1 or first from elite universities.

One girl I know at work got a first she says she worked very hard on her degree putting in 30 hours a week. I don't call that hard work at all a degree should be a full time job 37.5 hours a week is acceptable effort anything above that is working hard/impressive anything below that is not working hard or acceptable effort.

To be fair this girl in question did everything right because only one university did the specific course she wanted to do and it was directly relevant to the career she wanted. If anglia Ruskin was the only uni to do a maths degree then I guess I'd go their. I get that so I do t want to knock that but 30 hours a week should not be sufficient to get a strong first.

I seriously doubt Many people could get a 2.1 at imperial or Cambridge with 30 hours a week. In fact a lot of people would struggle to get a 2.2 with that effort.
Original post by Luke7456
This is what's wrong with the current generation people don't respect achievement they hate you for it.

And people hate on them for daring to be so arrogant or wanting to do well apparently hat makes them a snob.

I mean asking why they are in the situation where they need to go from UUU to Thier desired grades in such a short time period is a good question which should be raised but hating on them for targeting such grades and not wanting to just diss and calling them elitist stuck up scum etc is just so wrong and bad for society it is staggering.

the fact that so many young people have such hatred towards those that work hard is not healthy. I previously compared this mentality to communism I take that back I think it's worse and I honk it will have worse results. I have to get out of this country.

Anyway a 2.1 or first from weaker universities is not the same as a 2.1 or first from elite universities.

One girl I know at work got a first she says she worked very hard on her degree putting in 30 hours a week. I don't call that hard work at all a degree should be a full time job 37.5 hours a week is acceptable effort anything above that is working hard/impressive anything below that is not working hard or acceptable effort.

To be fair this girl in question did everything right because only one university did the specific course she wanted to do and it was directly relevant to the career she wanted. If anglia Ruskin was the only uni to do a maths degree then I guess I'd go their. I get that so I do t want to knock that but 30 hours a week should not be sufficient to get a strong first.

I seriously doubt Many people could get a 2.1 at imperial or Cambridge with 30 hours a week. In fact a lot of people would struggle to get a 2.2 with that effort.

I understand your point but we want to do better than last year also to get into uni

i, not asking for a star grade but to help ,e get a decent C or B grade for the suvbject I am studying
Original post by Luke7456

I don't think you know many Imperial or Cambridge students.
Original post by kaldrogo123
may i ask, what did you get in your as levels?

Despite a good start to the year, at AS I also had to resit GCSE English (its a complicated rare case for me though) on top of doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geograpy then came out with A* in the GCSE and CDDU in college but it got changed to CDEE for whatever reason, which is horrible nonetheless; it is exacerbated by the fact that 3 of them were modular.

However, English was not an excuse because I was bunking, late, did not do homework and played football more than work so it was my fault that I got what I got. Consequently, on top of the continuation into A2's, resitting was the only way I could get an A* in my a levels but I started working for the exams in August to redeem myself.

I thought you would also ask: what did you get in your A-levels too? Or perhaps you assumed I got straight A*'s but I personally have not finished A-levels but it does not discredit those steps at all because I was not the main example but rather my friends who did this were. Simple system though they did things a bit different, the steps were identical and they managed to get A/A* grades.

Moreover, I do think I also count as proof too; I am currently in the process of the different steps for different modules and for those that I am in the later steps with, I am achieving A*'s, 70 to 75/75 marks and getting 100% consistently.

With that, it was even more confirmation that those steps can get anyone an A* because I do not consider myself naturally smart or else I would not have got those AS results, leading to me having so much confidence that anyone who is willing to do it can do it.

Think about it. the OP has 3 subjects. Roughly 21 chapters each to equal 63 chapters to cover. Assuming a chapter takes 2 hours to learn, then with 6 hours he has covered a chapter per subject daily. Within 21 days the OP is done and it was very doable. Say 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 2 hours in the evening. It is not that hard and there will be some topics that will take more than 2 hours might even take 4 but many topics will take less than 2 hours as well.

Additionally, as time goes on, you start to develop and the study sessions can be longer and feel the same. Anyone can spend 6 hours a day with friends and having fun, so just substitute that fun for 21 days or so cuz 3 weeks is not a long time and neither is a month. If it is more chapters, oh well, just deal with it! Increase the amount of chapters you do or extend your due date although the latter option is not the best solution most of the time. That's it really. Anyone can do spend 6 hours of their day if they really wanted it. If you want something bad enough, you will make time for it. Like last time, I am pretty sure that is another famous quote I cannot remember who said but it is too good to exclude.

Unfortunately, sometimes it will take more hours and it cannot be avoided but I could and did stop playing footy and games for weeks at a time but I said its like a full time job that is worth it in the end. However, the sooner it gets done, the sooner you can have that break and closer you get to obtaining great grades. Thus, I included the breaks in to the steps where I said have real fun and not just break from revision. Motivation is one thing, but it is not motivation that people need to do this work but rather is that they really desire it because if they do they can. Repeating myself to illustrate the quote and point.

- Perhaps it was a bit of a rant but I guess its just my enthusiasm that was sprouted from my results, progression and evidence from my friends that there is actually known working ways that guarantees the best grades yet people will not read or act upon it because it is hard or long. But hey if it was easy, everyone would do it. Yet if it was not easy but doable with hard work, not everyone would? I guess not everyone cares enough or is satisficer than a maximiser.

Well now, I procrastinated long enough now so fare well friend I got class in a bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
if you got ABB last year (and presumably didn't work to your utmost ability then either) then AAA is probably possible if you really knuckle down now, I'm talking multiple hours revision every day and arrange meetings with teachers for extra help if anything if tricky
Reply 93
I don't care what the hell you guys are arguing about. Aside the arguments, you all just inspired me for the IAL exams that I've coming from the 9th. Thank you.
Okay so I'm probably not at UUU probably DEE or something but is this possible? Been lazy and yet to start learning stuff let alone revising, taking biology chemistry maths. How much work will i need to put in? First exam just over 5 months away

yes it is possible ive gone from a UUU to an A*A*A all you need to do is give the examiner a blowjob after the exam is over
Easily, but depends on how naturally intelligent you are, time management, ability to cram and how quickly you pick stuff up

Not precisely comparable, but at GCSE I went from getting 4A* and a bunch of As and Bs to getting 10A* in 5 months, and then onto getting into Cambridge. Yeah, it's possible. Just knuckle down and learn how to game the mark schemes.

Edit: to enable that GCSE turnaround I started revising about now, and didn't take any days off until GCSEs, not even for my birthday! It was a sad few months, lol. I had a rigorous revision plan and stuck to it; starting so early meant that I didn't actually have to put in a huge number of hours per day closer to the exams (that's ineffective revision anyway), but where necessary I did things that now seem weirdly obsessive (7 hours of maths a day in the run-up to my first maths exam, because maths was my weakest subject - I also learnt ~5000 words of Latin to English translation off by heart to guarantee an A* in my Latin Literature paper. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can still remember a lot of it.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Well it's not exactly the same but in my first English Lang&Lit mock I got a U. I realised how badly I screwed up and went crazy on my revision; studying to get ahead before the lesson for whatever topic we were due to start, etc. By the end of Year 12 I got a C, now at A2 I'm on my way to a B or A. I had to really buckle down though and my other subject grades suffered because of it. However, I did get all As apart from English at AS so I think you could do it. Might kill you though :tongue:
Extra info: I'm applying for unis that require As and Bs and haven't been turned down for any (yet) despite my predicted grades being low.

not with biology lol, AAA maybe but A* needs dedication from sept of year 12 - good luck though!
Yes you can and you can still have a balanced life just make sure you work consistently, but just from your post it seems to me like you'll look back at this post in 4-5 months time having done no work and think '****'

Quick Reply

Latest