Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weightlifting-PBs?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    yoke, farmers walk and log to overhead, where do you do all this?? sounds fun, and great numbers btw!
    Gym in the city centre, walking distance from my flat- I'm pretty lucky

(Original post by BCam.)
    Nice press at almost body weight. Farmers would be a killer, never really tried any strongman type training apart from farmers for cardio, never heavy though just for multiple shuttles.
    Farmers are one at my favourites because I'm good at it, if I can lift it off the ground then I can walk with it for as soon as needed.

Farmers for cardio is cross fit not strongman

ReputationRep:
    My best bench press for 1 rep was 145kg and that was 2-3 years back. Never attempted max deadlift or squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Yep, PT at my work like to make us do cross fit stuff every now and again, I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    He doesn't squat (or not heavily) is why.
    You can get great legs without squatting but i'd strongly recommend it!
    Squats are always a must if you have the means to do them. I used to squat 3 days a week when I was training properly a year ago. Now I've just got back to training and don't have access to a power rack. I've only got deads and leg press to use and know I won't get as much out of it as deads coupled with heavy squats, but still hitting legs 3 days a week though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Squats are always a must if you have the means to do them. I used to squat 3 days a week when I was training properly a year ago. Now I've just got back to training and don't have access to a power rack. I've only got deads and leg press to use and know I won't get as much out of it as deads coupled with heavy squats, but still hitting legs 3 days a week though.
    You'll get good gains for now and squats aren't the be all and end all. You can work around them (if injury or potential to be injured stops you) but they are great.

I barely squatted for most of the time i've trained, kind of avoided it tbh. The gains i saw since squatting have been fantastic.

Well get yourself to another gym then, for now i'd still recommend squatting and keeping that mobility. Use what you can clean (which won't get you gains) and that will keep you in shape ready to squat when you get a better gym.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    At my peak (about 3 months ago)
    Squat: 120kg (Its about 110 atm)
    Deadlift: 170kg (Cant quite do 160 currently)
    Bench: 70kg (can only really manage 55 or so now)
    OHP: 40kg (32.5 at the moment)

I had to take a 2 week break for medical reasons (have a scan tomorrow to see if there's anything wrong with me), and then life happened so i haven't been able to get back into the swing of things.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get good gains for now and squats aren't the be all and end all. You can work around them (if injury or potential to be injured stops you) but they are great.

I barely squatted for most of the time i've trained, kind of avoided it tbh. The gains i saw since squatting have been fantastic.

Well get yourself to another gym then, for now i'd still recommend squatting and keeping that mobility. Use what you can clean (which won't get you gains) and that will keep you in shape ready to squat when you get a better gym.
    I do squats with some resistance and bodyweight at work, I don't think mobility will ever be an issue for squats. If anything I squat too low, I'd rather squat higher (still below parallel though) use less energy and be more efficient for a heavier squat.

Not squatting obviously isnt ideal but I'm not paying anything for the gym I'm at so I will make do. My logic is if I get very strong on deadlifts and leg press, chances are I won't have small legs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I do squats with some resistance and bodyweight at work, I don't think mobility will ever be an issue for squats. If anything I squat too low, I'd rather squat higher (still below parallel though) use less energy and be more efficient for a heavier squat.

Not squatting obviously isnt ideal but I'm not paying anything for the gym I'm at so I will make do. My logic is if I get very strong on deadlifts and leg press, chances are I won't have small legs.
    Fair fair. Yeah i get that.
    As long as you're parallel...

Friend of mine put a 200kg squat on facebook.... No way NEAR parallel.
    I'm not hating as that's good weight so fair play but honestly to claim he squats 200kg is BS. Lift it, don't shift it.

Sound logic. Angry Cucumber on here doesn't squat due to knee issues and yet he does not skip legs.
    James Grange is a guy who just entered the Arnold (yeah roids) but the guy (you can read about his story) had an almost fatal car crash and has to do so much mobility just to walk half decently.
    Still has ok legs as does what he can.

Nice work on starting a blog btw

ReputationRep:
    Bench: 80kg for 3
    Squats: 105kg for 3
    Deadlift: 135kg for 2

ReputationRep:

I'm not hating as that's good weight so fair play but honestly to claim he squats 200kg is BS. Lift it, don't shift it.

Sound logic. Angry Cucumber on here doesn't squat due to knee issues and yet he does not skip legs.
    James Grange is a guy who just entered the Arnold (yeah roids) but the guy (you can read about his story) had an almost fatal car crash and has to do so much mobility just to walk half decently.

Yeah all very true mate, started watching your log hope those nagging injuries heal up sooner rather than later.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Yeah all very true mate, started watching your log hope those nagging injuries heal up sooner rather than later.
    Thanks man. Invested in a decent physio so should clear up.

Similar to yourself but a touch taller and 10lbs heavier (although slowly falling) so we should both make truly SICKENING gainz in 2017

ReputationRep:

Lift it, don't shift it is quite possibly my new favourite saying
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Lift it, don't shift it is quite possibly my new favourite saying
    Stole it from Lex Griffin (Youtuber) but he's a fake natty so screw it, it's my saying. I can decieve people too!

But in all seriousness, it is very true. Anyone can DB row good weight (one of the worst exercises for people 'shifting' it) but if it is achieving nothing then literally what is the point?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    At my peak (about 3 months ago)
    Squat: 120kg (Its about 110 atm)
    Deadlift: 170kg (Cant quite do 160 currently)
    Bench: 70kg (can only really manage 55 or so now)
    OHP: 40kg (32.5 at the moment)

I had to take a 2 week break for medical reasons (have a scan tomorrow to see if there's anything wrong with me), and then life happened so i haven't been able to get back into the swing of things.
    Can totally relate to 'life happened' hahaha, good way of putting it
    A really short spell of being ill kinda put me off last year, then there was exams which put me even further off track and i'm only just getting back into the swing now.
    Hope your scan went well, here's to getting back to our peaks this year lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Gym in the city centre, walking distance from my flat- I'm pretty lucky

Farmers are one at my favourites because I'm good at it, if I can lift it off the ground then I can walk with it for as soon as needed.

Wait, is it a crossfit gym you train at? I did think the excercises sounded rather crossfit-ish lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    The fact that you have a 'leg day' might be the issue. I mucked about with splits when I was 15 and didn't get anywhere, then I started training full body every other day and my legs responded very well to the increased frequency on squats and deads.
    Nah it's not that, I call it leg day cause that's the meme. I normally have a lower day in my upper/lower split. I'd say it's probably due to some mental restraint. I'm just scared of squats for some reason so don't go too heavy but it's not too much of an issue, I find ways around it with split squats and other exercises and machines. Another problem is that my ass is just huuuuge like everyone comments on it and either say it's amazing or that I'm some freak kim kardashian/nicki minaj wannabe so I'd like to keep that in equilibrium haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nulliverse)
    Nah it's not that, I call it leg day cause that's the meme. I normally have a lower day in my upper/lower split. I'd say it's probably due to some mental restraint. I'm just scared of squats for some reason so don't go too heavy but it's not too much of an issue, I find ways around it with split squats and other exercises and machines. Another problem is that my ass is just huuuuge like everyone comments on it and either say it's amazing or that I'm some freak kim kardashian/nicki minaj wannabe so I'd like to keep that in equilibrium haha.
    Fair one mate I'm sure you will find a way around it.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, is it a crossfit gym you train at? I did think the excercises sounded rather crossfit-ish lol
    No, I'm not the one doing cardio farmers

ReputationRep:
    This guy also never did squats

Same with this guy:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    This guy also never did squats

Same with this guy:

Point well made!

I never said they are needed but i think most beginners should be squatting (myself included) if we want bigger legs.
    This does not mean Deadlifts, leg press, lunges etc etc can't give you great legs.

Thought you did 6x6 with 140kg a day or so Woody... Or did i imagine those posts about your Squatting?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.