Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weightlifting-PBs?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Point well made!

I never said they are needed but i think most beginners should be squatting (myself included) if we want bigger legs.
    This does not mean Deadlifts, leg press, lunges etc etc can't give you great legs.

Thought you did 6x6 with 140kg a day or so Woody... Or did i imagine those posts about your Squatting?
    I know mate, I was agreeing with your examples of people not squatting I do them personally because they work for me, but then I do the "novelty exercise" that is the Arnold press because they work for me as well :lol: I don't think squats are the holy grail that you simply cannot build legs without though, as you said there are always other options. Hack squat machines are a great replacement, leg extensions also build more mass than people give them credit for.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I know mate, I was agreeing with your examples of people not squatting I do them personally because they work for me, but then I do the "novelty exercise" that is the Arnold press because they work for me as well :lol: I don't think squats are the holy grail that you simply cannot build legs without though, as you said there are always other options. Hack squat machines are a great replacement, leg extensions also build more mass than people give them credit for.
    Yeah i briefly got confused but worked that out haha.

Why did DY not squat?

Yeah, whatever works and certainly if not at an advanced level of training then i think most variations of major exercises if done with consistency, good technique over time will yield results.

Great shout re hack squats. Yeah Leg curls and extentions would certainly help get that bit more hypertrophy.

ReputationRep:
    Shoop ahh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i briefly got confused but worked that out haha.

Why did DY not squat?

Yeah, whatever works and certainly if not at an advanced level of training then i think most variations of major exercises if done with consistency, good technique over time will yield results.

Great shout re hack squats. Yeah Leg curls and extentions would certainly help get that bit more hypertrophy.
    Pretty much, he squatted heavy for a while and his legs were s***, so he started trying other stuff. He says he built his legs by starting his workouts with leg extensions before moving on to hack squats and leg presses, though I'd only recommend that if your quads need catching up with your glutes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, he squatted heavy for a while and his legs were s***, so he started trying other stuff. He says he built his legs by starting his workouts with leg extensions before moving on to hack squats and leg presses, though I'd only recommend that if your quads need catching up with your glutes.
    Fair. Each to their own i guess.
    He looks v v natty in that photo you out up very attainable physique. 1-2 years training yeah? Incredible

ReputationRep:
    Approx 71-72kg BW, compete at 69.
    Snatch 87.5kg
    Clean and Jerk 116kg
    Don't even know my squat, currently doing lots of pause work, did a paused atg single at 145kg a week or so back. No longer chasing a huge squat, its more important that I'm squatting in a way with carry-over to my olympic lifts, hit 180kg with sleeves 6 months ago but there was very little carry over there - inclined torso, sleeves, parallel.

I've been mostly out of action for a little while now due to chronic illness, but I'm getting back on the horse now. Been using Vince Gironda methods mainly, I always like to go with more pump-based stuff when getting back into it to help fill myself back out with glycogen and stuff, always seems to work better than diving back in with heavy stuff.

6x6 is my main method atm, basically 6 sets of 6 with 30 seconds rests between sets using your 12RM or 70% of your 1RM. Set a PB yesterday with this particular method, I'd been using 140kg on squats with it and not being able to finish the last set for the past couple of workouts (though the second attempt was much closer than the first!) but I managed it yesterday, so strength is definitely on the up Supposed to decrease the rests to 25 seconds at this point but I'll just bump the weight up to 145kg instead.
    That sounds absolutely brutal, props to you for sticking with it.

ReputationRep:
    Fair. Each to their own i guess.
    He looks v v natty in that photo you out up very attainable physique. 1-2 years training yeah? Incredible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)
    I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it :lol: Several positives though. It works, first and foremost. Allows me to go lighter and still be very productive. Great cardio. Very simple progression system and there's not a huge punishment for increasing the weight a little more than you should do when it comes time to up the weight
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So much 'toblerone' in that room.
    I think your test levels hit normal ranges Woody just from looking at that photo hahaha.

At least Bradley Martyn doesn't deny it...

ReputationRep:
    Fairly recently with 74kg BW:

Squats 1x5 on 177.5kg
    Deadlift 1x5 on 197.5kg
    Bench Press 1x5 on 92.5kg

Competition numbers last month at 70kg with IPF rules:
    Squat - 182.5kg
    Bench Press - 95kg (lols)
    Deadlift - 210kg
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    Fairly recently with 74kg BW:

Squats 1x5 on 177.5kg
    Deadlift 1x5 on 197.5kg
    Bench Press 1x5 on 92.5kg

Competition numbers last month at 70kg with IPF rules:
    Squat - 182.5kg
    Bench Press - 95kg (lols)
    Deadlift - 210kg
    Stronk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Approx 71-72kg BW, compete at 69.
    Snatch 87.5kg
    Clean and Jerk 116kg
    Don't even know my squat, currently doing lots of pause work, did a paused atg single at 145kg a week or so back. No longer chasing a huge squat, its more important that I'm squatting in a way with carry-over to my olympic lifts, hit 180kg with sleeves 6 months ago but there was very little carry over there - inclined torso, sleeves, parallel.

How do you cut down for competing at 69? Like it's only a couple of kgs, but is that still not quite a pain in the ass? Nice numbers btw, oly lifting is hands down the best

ReputationRep:
    I am embarrassed by my PBs because of how old they are. It's like having last season's clothes :nn:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a proper PB in ages because I don't push myself enough. All my PBs were when I wasn't working and went to the gym every day and ate well. Now I'm working full time and exhausted Monday-Friday.

Squat: 75kg
    Deadlift: 100kg
    Bench: 37kg
    OHP: 25kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    How do you cut down for competing at 69? Like it's only a couple of kgs, but is that still not quite a pain in the ass? Nice numbers btw, oly lifting is hands down the best
    Thanks!
    I water load on the week of the competition, aiming to drink about 7-8l a day M/T/W, Thursday I'll drink about 4l, then Friday all I'll have is a coffee at breakfast (so stop drinking 24 hours before weigh in).

As far as I understand there's a lag between when you cut out the water and your body realising you've stopped drinking so much, and you just wee out another couple of kilos (it dehydrates you ofc, but its easier than sitting in a sauna for ages). I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly.

Going to compete in the 77kg category for the next 1/2 comps, and then cut back to 69kg for British Universities in April.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I water load on the week of the competition, aiming to drink about 7-8l a day M/T/W, Thursday I'll drink about 4l, then Friday all I'll have is a coffee at breakfast (so stop drinking 24 hours before weigh in).

As far as I understand there's a lag between when you cut out the water and your body realising you've stopped drinking so much, and you just wee out another couple of kilos (it dehydrates you ofc, but its easier than sitting in a sauna for ages). I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly.

Going to compete in the 77kg category for the next 1/2 comps, and then cut back to 69kg for British Universities in April.
    Ohh, yeah okay that makes sense although I'd say sitting in a sauna for ages would be enjoyable haha
    Is that for powerlifting or olympic?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.