Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in the idea of teaching english abroad this summer, most likely in Asia or South America although at the moment I'm quite open.

I'm currently 20 and in my first year of university. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of TEFL work without a degree, or knows where the best countries are to do so.

Also, could anybody shine some light on some the other administrative details such as where it is best to apply, online, from the uk, or once you enter the country or whatever?

Thanks,
    Morgan

ReputationRep:
    By degree, do you mean someone who does not have a university degree or are you talking about a TEFL degree?

I have looked into teaching abroad with TEFL before. The only thing you really need is a recognized TEFL certificate. Some countries like South Korea will give you a slightly higher salary if you have an English or Education degree from university plus experience. Just do an internet search for TEFL certificate programs in your area.

I have to warn you though, it is an intensive program. It lasts between one and two months. It could be too late to apply for work this summer, but I am not 100% certain on that. You just have to check with the organization/school you are applying to for their deadline. To answer your other question you would have to apply online BEFORE you go. That is the easy way. Some people plan to be in the country and then look for a job which is harder and takes time. Once you enroll in a TEFL certificate program, the school (where you are studying for the TEFL) will provide you with much of the information you need.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your country.

I'm doing TEFL in Germany right now and I needed a degree and a TEFL cert was preferred (but not required by any school I applied to as they all did their own training program). I also teach privately and it's reassuring for private customers to hear you have qualifications (probably won't be an issue for you if you're only doing it for a summer). I emailed prospective employers before moving here but no one was prepared to go further with the application process before I entered the country.

I have heard different things about different countries though. In some places being a native speaker is plenty qualified and they'll throw you in at the deep end with a class on your first day and in others you need a degree + CELTA. I think the same is probably true about finding a job, I also looked at Japan and I think there were plenty of schemes there I would have applied for while still at home. So some places the norm will be waiting til you arrive and in others the norm will be applying in advance.

I would google information about teaching in countries you're interested in and then perhaps email a few prospective employers to ask what they require/when they applications.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.