Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on how to make it look original? I'm completely stuck for my opening sentance, at the moment it's

Continuing the study of biology at A-Level has sparked a keen interest in human anatomy and physiology, and hence developed my enthusiasm for physiotherapy.

See what I mean? lol

Thnaks for any help given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_babe)
    Any ideas on how to make it look original? I'm completely stuck for my opening sentance, at the moment it's

Continuing the study of biology at A-Level has sparked a keen interest in human anatomy and physiology, and hence developed my enthusiasm for physiotherapy.

See what I mean? lol

That actually sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't base the fact you want to do Physiotherapy on Biology A level. Outside of school, what's made you want to do it? Also, where are you applying? (My sis is doing physio at Nottingham so I know a bit about it, I'll help if you give me some more info )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tiger_babe)

See what I mean? lol

The word 'continuing' is irrelevant and doesn't grab the attention. Physio is really, really difficult to get into unless you have done so much work experience etc. The experience is one of the keys to a good Physio PS as they will want to know how you cope with and appreciate all the different demands that will be made on you in this vocation. Provided you HAVE got lots of work exp under your belt then you could start with something like

My enthusiasm for Physiotherapy is both practical and theoretical. Studying Biology at A level has sparked a keen interest in human anatomy and physiology, whilst my experience at several practitioners has cemented my passion to work in Physiotherapy .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    The word 'continuing' is irrelevant and doesn't grab the attention. Physio is really, really difficult to get into unless you have done so much work experience etc. The experience is one of the keys to a good Physio PS as they will want to know how you cope with and appreciate all the different demands that will be made on you in this vocation. Provided you HAVE got lots of work exp under your belt then you could start with something like

My enthusiasm for Physiotherapy is both practical and theoretical. Studying Biology at A level has sparked a keen interest in human anatomy and physiology, whilst my experience at several practitioners has cemented my passion to work in Physiotherapy .
    How much work experience would you say is 'enough'?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help, I'm interested in Notts, UEA, KCL, Brunel, St Georges, and Liverpool.

I've been doing regular work exp in a private practice and iv got something arranged at the local hospital, so that part is looking pretty sorted. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, thats been a real help!

xxxxx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    How much work experience would you say is 'enough'?
    As much as you can get! Preferably in a variety of different aspects. There is such competition, the colleges can pick and choose, so it stands to reason that they want people who know what they are getting themselves into and have shown a lot of committment over a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    As much as you can get! Preferably in a variety of different aspects. There is such competition, the colleges can pick and choose, so it stands to reason that they want people who know what they are getting themselves into and have shown a lot of committment over a long period of time.
    Ah ok. It's just my mate is also applying to physio, but she's only had one work placement, and probably won't be able to do another one before the deadline. Well maybe one more, but it's quite short notice.

ReputationRep:
    As physiotherapy is a healthcare vocation maybe you could do some voluntary work in a caring environment?
    As for the first line- that's the hardest bit, but I like Geoggers'

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. It's just my mate is also applying to physio, but she's only had one work placement, and probably won't be able to do another one before the deadline. Well maybe one more, but it's quite short notice.
    one would probably be ok if s/he's already lined up another one for the future. It doesn't matter if the second ones after the deadline provided s/he mentions in her PS:

"I've done one week's work experience and have another one lined up in [month] at [name of place] as they were unable to take me earlier"

I know some Uni's don't like people saying "I will be doing work exp in the near future" but if your m8 can give specific details of the place and explain that the institution could not take her before she applied (and get her teacher to mention this in reference too) then it probably won't look bad on her as since she has already done some it is obvious she knows what's involved in physio and she's keen to do more experience it just wasnt feasible before s/he applied.

Voluntary work is also a good idea. My mate got offers for Physio and as well as obvious work experience, she did a week's medical experience in the hospital (which enabled her to see why physio is vital etc) and also had her part time sat job working at the Hospital's opticians!

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my school has only got one work experiece, a week at a physio centre. While there, they offered her a job though, so she will be working there part time indefinately. That's better than having lots of different week long work experiences, right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A girl in my school has only got one work experiece, a week at a physio centre. While there, they offered her a job though, so she will be working there part time indefinately. That's better than having lots of different week long work experiences, right?
    I daresay it'll be more useful as they would be able to give her a reference and support her application. As long as the physio centre deals with lots of different types of patients (not just, say. sports injuries) then that should be fine.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.