Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Israeli Soldier Elor Azaria Guilty of Manslaughter of Disarmed Palestinian Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the first time in 11 years a military court has found an IDF soldier on operational duty guilty of manslaughter.

'Hebron Shooter' Elor Azaria was videotaped shooting & killing a disarmed Palestinian attempted knife attacker who was already on the ground.

The verdict was "unanimous" - all 3 military judges, 2 legal professionals and 1 field commander all found Sgt. Elor Azaria guilty of manslaughter.

Israeli MKs from center left to far right are calling for Elor Azaria to be pardoned.

Pro-Azaria protests outside the Jaffa Military Court turned ugly with clashes with police and anti-Islamic chants ("Mohammed is dead" ) caught on video (see below).

The IDF has investigated at least 262 Palestinian deaths since 2000, which has resulted in only 17 indictments.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/st...96105601449984
    https://twitter.com/adanielroth/stat...07026369429505
    Yesh Din
    https://twitter.com/adanielroth/stat...72868389699584
    https://twitter.com/adanielroth/stat...83566096220160
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/politic...ebron-shooter/
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/liberma...st-respect-it/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    What a load of ****
    Care to explain why you disagree with the unanimous verdict of 3 military judges, 2 legal professionals and a field commander?

ReputationRep:
    This is the video of the incident in question, filmed and published by B'Tselem:

On 24 March ‘16, B'Tselem volunteer 'Imad Abu Shamsiyeh documented a soldier shooting and killing 'Abd al-Fatah a-Sharif, a Palestinian who had carried out a knife attack and was lying wounded on the road after soldiers had shot him. The footage garnered sharp domestic and international criticism, leading to an investigation and indictment of the soldier. The act was a direct consequence of the public view, fueled by vitriolic politicians, that shooting to kill is legitimate whenever a Palestinian attacks or attempts to attack an Israeli.

ReputationRep:
    It was wrong for him to do this, but it will unfortunately lead to more animosity and hatred against Israel when the media report this as though the victim was innocent (he was a terrorism who tried to kill the officer)

ReputationRep:
    A 2016 poll by the Israel Democracy Institute found that 47 percent of Jewish Israelis supported the sentiment that “any Palestinian who carries out a terror attack against Jews should be killed on the spot, even if he has been captured and clearly does not pose a threat.”

A recent report by Human Rights Watch documented “numerous statements” made by senior Israeli politicians and religious figures “calling on police and soldiers to shoot to kill suspected attackers, irrespective of whether lethal force is actually strictly necessary to protect life.”

http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=774744

ReputationRep:
    Manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of 20 years, but Azaria can appeal both the conviction and the sentence. However, this is unlikely as a majority of Israeli soldiers indicted for manslaughter since 2000 accepted a plea bargain instead.

Moreover, it will be interesting to see whether Rivlin grants a Presidential pardon, as Naftali Bennett (Education Minister) had supported.

ReputationRep:
    A good terrorist is a dead terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    A good terrorist is a dead terrorist.
    So you advocate the killing of Elor?

I wouldn't go that far!

ReputationRep:
    How in the hell is that manslaughter? He deliberately shot him in the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    So you advocate the killing of Elor?

I wouldn't go that far!
    I understand the feelings of the soldier, whose friend was badly wounded by the terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admonit)
    I understand the feelings of the soldier, whose friend was badly wounded by the terrorist.
    I understand the feelings of the resistance fighter, whose family has suffered greatly at the hands of the terrorists who killed him.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the feelings of the resistance fighter, whose family has suffered greatly at the hands of the terrorists who killed him.
    Do you support the stabbings of Israeli soldiers or even Israeli citizens by Palestinian "resistance fighters"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    Do you support the stabbings of Israeli soldiers or even Israeli citizens by Palestinian "resistance fighters"?
    In a military occupation I believe that citizens have a right to resist. This does not, however, translate to supporting violence against civilians.

I was reversing what admonit was saying to illustrate how ridiculous and detrimental the radical elements on both sides are/sound.

ReputationRep:
    So you advocate a terrorist? I wouldn't go that far! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    This is the video of the incident in question, filmed and published by B'Tselem:

Wow, my first instinct was 'wtf', how can they charge him for killing a terrorist??

I had never seen this video actually. I know the guy instigated an attack, but I find it chilling. Sent shivers down my spine. The guy was down, completely 0 threat and the Israeli solders had the situation under control.

That was an execution. He does not have the right to carry out an execution. I think he needed to be charged. Not because this guy was a Palestinian terrorist, but because he clearly sees himself as above the law.

I hope this sets an example.

Another thing I find disturbing, is the reaction of the soldiers. If I had witnessed this, I would have thought the solider lost the plot and restrained him? The way they reacted makes me wonder if this happens more commonly, but perhaps it was caught on tap for the first time?

Luckily someone had the foresight to film from the beginning. Otherwise all we would have seen was a dead body on the ground. I have to admit, had I not seen this footage, I would have came here defending the actions of the Israeli solider.

Support for Israel (which was never a massive base) is beginning to waiver, they need to tread carefully.
    Thankfully Isreali courts had convicted him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfricanPrinceXI)
    Wow, my first instinct was 'wtf', how can they charge him for killing a terrorist??

I had never seen this video actually. I know the guy instigated an attack, but I find it chilling. Sent shivers down my spine. The guy was down, completely 0 threat and the Israeli solders had the situation under control.

That was an execution. He does not have the right to carry out an execution. I think he needed to be charged. Not because this guy was a Palestinian terrorist, but because he clearly sees himself as above the law.

I hope this sets an example.

Another thing I find disturbing, is the reaction of the soldiers. If I had witnessed this, I would have thought the solider lost the plot and restrained him? The way they reacted makes me wonder if this happens more commonly, but perhaps it was caught on tap for the first time?

Luckily someone had the foresight to film from the beginning. Otherwise all we would have seen was a dead body on the ground. I have to admit, had I not seen this footage, I would have came here defending the actions of the Israeli solider.

Support for Israel (which was never a massive base) is beginning to waiver, they need to tread carefully.
    Thankfully Isreali courts had convicted him.
    PRSOM.

It is fortunate that this was caught on camera, otherwise it would be brushed off as just another "terrorist killed by brave IDF soldiers".

As you say, it is good that he has been convicted, but he can still appeal and may still get pardoned. Israel has a very poor history of prosecuting such criminals, so many are commenting that this is merely a show trial and he will get a lenient sentence. Many Israeli Members of Knesset (from left to the right) support a Presidential pardon.

I agree that the reactions of those around him were very disturbing - almost as though it was a natural thing they had seen many times before... But it is not that surprising when you consider that half of Jewish Israelis believe that “any Palestinian who carries out a terror attack against Jews should be killed on the spot, even if he has been captured and clearly does not pose a threat", or that half support forcibly expelling all Arabs from Israel.

ReputationRep:
    In a military occupation I believe that citizens have a right to resist. This does not, however, translate to supporting violence against civilians.
    What about random acts of violence against soldiers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfricanPrinceXI)
    Yep.

Look up the Rodney King beating tape and consider that none of the officers not involved in actually hitting him thought it necessary to report the behaviour.

It is fortunate that this was caught on camera, otherwise it would be brushed off as just another "terrorist killed by brave IDF soldiers".
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    Netanyahu has released a statement and officially supports a pardon for Elor.

This is a difficult and painful day for all of us - and first and formost for Elor and his family, for IDF soldiers, for many soldiers and for the parents of our soldiers, and me among them.

We have one army, which is the basis of our existence. The soldiers of the IDF are our sons and daughters, and they need to remain above dispute.
    http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.763054

This is not really a surprise, but I wonder what he meant by "the IDF... need to remain above dispute" - the obvious interpretation seems to be that he doesn't believe the IDF should ever be held accountable for anything they do...

ReputationRep:

I was reversing what admonit was saying to illustrate how ridiculous and detrimental the radical elements on both sides are/sound.
    No equivalence between a brave Israeli soldier killing terrorists and a filthy Palestinian Islamist militant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.