Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 99% sure I'm not getting any offers :/.

Both Warwick and Leicester (I applied for the 5 year here) have declined and I am waiting for Newcastle and Southampton, but given that applicant day dates and the stats, I'm not feeling confident.

I graduated in September so I am currently on a year out, working two jobs ones of which is in the NHS! (but apparently a degree and experience is not enough). However, that’s not my point. I don't want to take another year out. My family are already being weird about it and I am starting to think maybe it is just not meant to be.

I don't want to give up so I’m thinking maybe there will be something in clearing? I have no idea what to do or when to call, any advice? also what universities should i be looking at/ how or when is this information available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nehal:))

Both Warwick and Leicester (I applied for the 5 year here) have declined and I am waiting for Newcastle and Southampton, but given that applicant day dates and the stats, I'm not feeling confident.

I graduated in September so I am currently on a year out, working two jobs ones of which is in the NHS! (but apparently a degree and experience is not enough). However, that’s not my point. I don't want to take another year out. My family are already being weird about it and I am starting to think maybe it is just not meant to be.

I don't want to give up so I’m thinking maybe there will be something in clearing? I have no idea what to do or when to call, any advice? also what universities should i be looking at/ how or when is this information available?
    If you have two jobs why are they being weird about it?

ReputationRep:

I know the feeling, but if you want it don't give up too soon.
    If you really feel it's not for you, you will know.

Sorry, but from what I know medicine does not have clearing, definitely not for GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (but apparently a degree and experience is not enough).
    Out of interest what was your degree grade and your entrance exam scores? Unfortunately for GEM a degree and experience is the bare minimum.

Also for GEM universities keep a pool of applicants that have been rejected to fill any spots available in case people drop out etc. So unfortunately clearing won't be an option i'm afraid.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mightybadger16)
    So unfortunately clearing won't be an option i'm afraid.
    This is incorrect. People got offers on results day last year from 5 years course through clearing. They interviewed over the phone and that was it.

OP, keep the hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    This is incorrect. People got offers on results day last year from 5 years course through clearing. They interviewed over the phone and that was it.

OP, keep the hope!
    Woah for which unis??

ReputationRep:
    If you read the topic it does say Graduate entry medicine and my answer is correct for graduate entry places. I am aware that sometimes they could offer GEM candidates places on the 5 year course but I didn't think of that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mightybadger16)
    If you read the topic it does say Graduate entry medicine and my answer is correct for graduate entry places. I am aware that sometimes they could offer GEM candidates places on the 5 year course but I didn't think of that.
    I have read the quote thank you.

If YOU read the quote you'll see he also applied to 5 year courses. In addition was asking if clearing is an option.

The answer is yes. It is an option. Regardless of GEM or not, your answer to his question was no, it was not an option. Therefore you were incorrect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by rishi.sekhri)
    Woah for which unis??
    Hull York and St. George's from the top of my head and a couple of others here and there.

This only happened last year though. There may be a repeat this year? Who knows

ReputationRep:

Clearing is not something you can rely on. It has happened in the past, but it's not something you can bank on with any degree of certainty.

Have you received any feedback from Warwick or Leicester about why you weren't successful?

Regardless, the admissions cycle is still not over and all you need is one interview and one offer, so hopefully Newcastle and Southampton will be more promising. I know it's nerve wracking and frustrating, but try to be patient and see what happens with your remaining choices.

Why don't you want to take another gap year and re-apply? It's your life and if you're working, I'm not really sure why your family would be unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    The year before last at Nottingham everyone on the waiting list was given a place, and in my year they were still taking people onto the course after the first day of lectures. So that's a possibility.
    A lot (a lot!) of people get in on their second or even third round of applications. I don't have any stats but anything up to half of people in my year had applied once before.
    Increasing your work experience will definitely help, in every sense. Do more UKCAT and GAMSAT practice and think about interview technique, if you still want to do it.
    Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.