Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have been before and did more walking around than I really wanted to do.

So, I'm staying around O'Connell Street. I've done the Castle and did one of the museums. (can't remember what it was called now) I also did a bus tour, which I quite enjoyed.

Not interested in the Guinness Stonehouse or Jamiesons Distillery!

I'll have a weekly travel pass thing again; so should be ok-ish getting by most forms of transport.

ReputationRep:
    Lovely place. I'd recommend the following:

Christ Church and St Patrick's cathedrals
    Trinity College grounds - all lovely architecture.
    Tour of Leinster House (Oireachtas)
    Kilmainham Gaol - slightly our of town, where they executed the 1916 Rising rebels
    Phoenix Park - it is massive.
    National Gallery + National Archaeology museum

I personally enjoyed strolling on the Liffey and stopping in the odd pub that took my fancy. My favourite pub by far is O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row. Wandered in on a mid-Friday afternoon and there were a group of people sat around a table playing traditional music. No-one else there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Kilmainham Gaol - slightly our of town, where they executed the 1916 Rising rebels
    I'm not sure how I forgot I did this one whilst I was there. Probably because I can't spell it. :lol:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What rockrunride said. Especially the library at Trinity. Also Merrion Square (near by) to see Oscar.

And go to Howth.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Are there any places that are worth eating at as well? I pretty much lived on McDonalds, Subway and Chinese whilst there. Want something a bit different this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Are there any places that are worth eating at as well? I pretty much lived on McDonalds, Subway and Chinese whilst there. Want something a bit different this time.
    If you want to try specifically Irish fare then I'd recommend Gallagher's Boxty on Temple Bar. Touristy but decent enough for one visit. Unfortunately in my opinion Dublin is nothing really special for restaurants.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Avoca's cafe is good although can be full of ladies who lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted something out of the city take the DART to Howth. Admittedly better in sunnier conditions.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandbeer2)
    If you wanted something out of the city take the DART to Howth. Admittedly better in sunnier conditions.
    Indeed, and there are supposed to be some good fish restaurants in Howth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Indeed, and there are supposed to be some good fish restaurants in Howth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, saw you had already mentioned Howth after I posted, teach me not to jump straight in!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandbeer2)
    Sorry, saw you had already mentioned Howth after I posted, teach me not to jump straight in!
    The more votes the better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some nice places have already been mentioned - I'd definitely recommend Kilmainham Gaol, and since you have a travel pass it should also be easy enough to get there. From there you could also go to the Modern Art Museum at Kilmainham Hospital, and then out to the Garden of Remembrance at Islandbridge, for Ireland's First World War Dead; it's an interesting place as it was until recently quite neglected for mostly political reasons.

Some other things to consider:

* Hugh Lane gallery for some art (and you could also visit Chapters, Ireland's largest bookshop - it's brilliant)

* Collins Barracks - the Irish history museum

* Marsh's Library, next to St Patrick's Cathedral

* Chester Beatty Library, for their amazing collection of Islamic & early Christian manuscripts. It's beside Dublin Castle and really is fantastic, worth a visit! They also have a nice cafe there.

* The Little Museum of Dublin is also supposed to be worth a visit; it covers life in Dublin across a big time span.

* Definitely go out to Howth on the Dart, it's very picturesque. While you're there, have some food at Crabby Jo's: they have a restaurant but also a takeaway, and the food is the same from both. Their chips are delish, and the calamari are especially highly recommended - the best I've ever tasted!

* Depending on how long you were staying, you could get out of Dublin entirely and go to Glendalough, in the Wicklow Mountains. It's the site of an early Christian monastery (complete with round tower & church), but there's also a stunning, easy walk along a boardwalk around the two lakes in the valley, and it is spectacular with the mountains rising practically vertically around you. There's also a nice hotel there for some food and a drink. I believe a company called St Kevin's Bus brings people out in the morning, and then back in the afternoon; there's only that one service AFAIK, so you'd have to double-check timings.

As regards places to eat, jneill mentioned Avoca on Suffolk Street, which is nice. A handy tip is that in the basement they have a kind of cafeteria-style set up, and you can get things to take away as well as eat at one of the tables there. It's a bit less pretentious than the restaurant on the top floor. Whatever you do, get a scone as they're gorgeous!
    Other handy places include branches of KC Peaches - they have a canteen-style set up as well so you can get sandwiches, serve-yourself salads and hot dishes, and so forth. It's a good place for lunch as there's variety. Queen of Tarts near Dublin Castle is also very good, as is Brewbaker Cafe near Leinster House & Trinity.

Enjoy Dublin, it's great!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/

Fly around the EU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.