Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't focus with a foggy head Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had this problem for a while and I can't figure it out, I often find that when I have to focus on anything, I can focus for a few hours usually in the morning and then my head just gets foggy and I really struggle. Sometimes it doesn't affect me all day and sometimes I wake up like it, my head goes all cloudy, my eyes go blurry and the more I try to focus the harder it is. I also get frustrated which affects the people i care about.

I don't know if it has something to do with my aspergers, if it's a medical thing or I just somehow worry too much or something. It's not been too much of an issue before because I've been able to get through school without needing to focus, but now in university it's starting to get difficult and affect me.

Any help would really be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much but general advice is to make sure you have a good diet, sleep pattern, fresh air and decent exercise. I can't stress this enough.
    Also consuming food you are allergic to can cause brain fog -e.g. wheat, gluten, soy ...etc
    Make sure to get plenty of water -keeping hydrated is important and dehydration can too cause brain fog.
    It would be worthwhile to get your vitamins etc tested -ask for a blood test at your GP. Deficiencies can also cause brain fog. Off the top of my head, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. I would advice you to take multivitamin supplements for this.
    You could meditate. Are you feeling particularly stressed? This too can be a cause of brain fog.
    If you suspect you have an underlying health condition, go to the doctors to know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I'm feeling stressed, I'm not sure how to tell, I'm told I worry a lot but I don't think I do, besides when I do its necessary. It does often feel worse under artificial lights and I do wear glasses so it could partly be eye strain, but I wouldn't know what to do if it was.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes struggle with brain fog too! 😔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suiagg)
    I don't know if I'm feeling stressed, I'm not sure how to tell, I'm told I worry a lot but I don't think I do, besides when I do its necessary. It does often feel worse under artificial lights and I do wear glasses so it could partly be eye strain, but I wouldn't know what to do if it was.
    Okay. Any other symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    Just what I mentioned I think. Blurry eyes and the more I try to focus the harder it is, I get easily irritated and just find myself staring a lot. I feel fine physically it's just my head.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking regular breaks? Even if it's just to get a cup of water. I can only study for about an hour and then I have to take a break. I work much better that way.

ReputationRep:
    I can't take a break when I have four hour labs or so. Even then I can end up like this or worse after a break or after not doing any work at all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.