Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to Access to Medicine as a foreigner with no GCSE's Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ! My situation is quite complicated but i'll give it my best shot to explain . My name is Klavs , I was born in Latvia and recently turned 23 years old. I had to drop out of high school back home at the age of 16 due family circumstances and since then I've been living in several different countries and working mostly in hospitality and doing volunteer work in Asia and Africa. I arrived in England when I was 21 and decided to stay and continue my education here . I have always been deeply interested in science and medicine , and I do not want to waste any more time by working in hospitality , so I want to apply for an access course starting in September this year . The problem is that I do not have any GCSE's at this moment and the school where I finished grade 9 back home has been closed ,so I have zero qualifications to show when applying. I was wondering would I have time to take the exams this year before September and start in the Access course this year ? I went trough the past papers of Maths and English exams from previous years and it seems fairly simple and I am very confident that I'd be able to pass the Maths exam with grade A and English with at least B ( For the Access course I am interested in, the college requires B or above in both ) .Also for last half of year I have been working as a care worker with elderly and recovering drug addicts and I very much enjoy the kind of work and I feel certain that I have the mental capacity to study medicine . Anyways if any of you could give me any advice of what my next step should be or if I even have a somewhat realistic chance of advancing with this plan , I would appreciate it a lot .
    Thank you
    K xx

ReputationRep:
    Can you contact the college running the access course to ask for their advice?

ReputationRep:
    Contact them. Obviously.

Another option is that you could take A-levels yourself and apply via a conventional route.

Other issues: You need to apply to more than one course. Applying to just one when it is no doubt very popular is not exactly giving you the best chances.

Do you meet the requirements for domestic fees here? If not they you could be in for a shock when you get a massive bill for international fees ... again, maybe best to contact them or student finance if you are unsure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.