Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemates didn't get me anything for my birthday, should I say anything? Watch

My birthday was during the Christmas period, so most of my housemates were away when my birthday occurred. However, i didn't receive even a card from any of them when they returned.

I wasn't going to say anything, but my other housemates birthday was in November and we chipped in and got her a cake and present. Admittedly, she had a her friends and family over to our house before we all went to a bar so there was more of a celebration for it. I'm not bothered about a present, but I was disappointed to not even get a card from them. We've never argued, we all get on really well so I do feel quite hurt.

Should I say anything or should I just let it go?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Let it go.

Did they know it was your birthday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My birthday was during the Christmas period, so most of my housemates were away when my birthday occurred. However, i didn't receive even a card from any of them when they returned.

I wasn't going to say anything, but my other housemates birthday was in November and we chipped in and got her a cake and present. Admittedly, she had a her friends and family over to our house before we all went to a bar so there was more of a celebration for it. I'm not bothered about a present, but I was disappointed to not even get a card from them. We've never argued, we all get on really well so I do feel quite hurt.

Should I say anything or should I just let it go?
    As harsh as it may sound, they don't have to get you anything if they don't want to. I would let it go, and maybe don't get them anything for their birthdays since they made no effort for you.

Did they wish you a happy birthday?
    • Very Important Poster

Think you are being oversensitive. Did they all know? Maybe as you were away they felt it was a bit after the event and not everyone would take it so seriously. You cna make a point of it subtly or when they ask you to contribute to the next present.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    As harsh as it may sound, they don't have to get you anything if they don't want to. I would let it go, and maybe don't get them anything for their birthdays since they made no effort for you.

Did they wish you a happy birthday?
    I'm not going to not get them anything, because that's petty. I'd rather just get it off my chest and say it bugged me. I don't want an argument with them.

They wished me Happy Birthday on Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not going to not get them anything, because that's petty. I'd rather just get it off my chest and say it bugged me. I don't want an argument with them.

They wished me Happy Birthday on Facebook.
    Well if you confront them about it, don't be surprised if it does turn into an argument. It comes across as you sounding rather entitled. Just because you would do something for someone doesn't mean they'll do the same for you.

ReputationRep:
    no just don't get anything for hers
    one of my own best friends got me nothing for mine... oh well, her birthdays coming up soon and i will get my revenge! :evil:
    • Political Ambassador

They probably forgot to get you something, especially if you said they were away.. I don't think they realize how much it bothered you.

(Original post by Allie4)
    no just don't get anything for hers
    one of my own best friends got me nothing for mine... oh well, her birthdays coming up soon and i will get my revenge! :evil:
    I think I'm just going to leave it. I don't want to not get someone something because they didn't get me one. I'm just going to assume because my birthday was right in the middle of the holidays and nobody was around was the reason.

ReputationRep:
    No need to assume it's personal - it's probably just that if you see someone on their birthday you feel you should do something for them and if you don't see them for a week or two after then you don't feel you need to do something.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite petty.

We had a housemate at uni who is from another country. We agreed that we'd buy her a cake. But we didn't do anything else for anyone elses birthdays.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.