The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Freshers week (rubbish!)

the freshers week line up comprises almost exclusively of painfully dull commercial R'n'B nights along with various patronising school disco nights which almost deffinately will comprise of a bunch of sweaty pre pubescent boys trying to get their leg over.

And yes i know that everyone says that these things are essential order to bond and build friendships at university. However does it really have to be this painful? Is anyone else not overly tempted by what amounts to a glorified school disco? I just fancy having a chat and a drink with people and maybe a dance to some music that i actually like.

So is anyone else planning on shying away from the planned nights?

James

Scroll to see replies

I don't plan on going to all of them. But I guess they have to cater to the masses.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
nice sum up hehe, I'm sure there will be something that will be appealing to you and if not maybe you could throw a party in your flat?
Reply 3
I would be interested in going to a pub and spending the night drinking nice Ale or something other than bottled vokda flavoured drinks.

Myself being a tab older than most uni students dont fancy the pulling fest on the club nights.

Regards

Sprout
Reply 4
Hi guys!!

If you aren't up for what the Student Union has to offer, the Christian Union are doing some events that week.

On Mon 17th there is a sports afternoon, meeting at 2 outside the library, on Friday night there is an acoustic night in Bar Med and on Sunday a BBQ from 2 at the Chaplaincy.

Do come and chat to us at our stand at fresher's fair!
Alternatively, if you the S.U events are not to your taste I fail to see why you and some liked minded people can come up with your own plans to enjoy the free weeks before the academic year begins. There will be chances to meet people without going to these events and take it from there.
Reply 6
unknown demon
Alternatively, if you the S.U events are not to your taste I fail to see why you and some liked minded people can come up with your own plans to enjoy the free weeks before the academic year begins. There will be chances to meet people without going to these events and take it from there.

Indeed, still theres nothing like a good moan along with a liberal dose of superiority :smile:

No, its just i was a bit miffed at the line up thats all...dunno really what i was expecting. The comedy night sounds ok though, i guess i'l just loiter around the various pubs in the area and see if i can scout out any decent indie nights.
Reply 7
Hi, i do agree that freshers is being held in this way. I recommend going to only the main two events - Turnmills and that new Fabric last freshers event on the 27th Sept. I didn't make any of my real friends at freshers - my real friends are the ones i found on my course after freshers. It's not all about bonding...most of the ppl there are drunk anyway lol.
Reply 8
sprout
I would be interested in going to a pub and spending the night drinking nice Ale or something other than bottled vokda flavoured drinks.

Myself being a tab older than most uni students dont fancy the pulling fest on the club nights.

Regards

Sprout

I'm and old guy as well. I'm up for a few pints if you are. PM me.
Reply 9
Count me in for some pints, sounds like a nice change of pace from some of the events.

Fabric sounds like a good last night and the comedy could also be good, depends on the line up.
jimmy87
Indeed, still theres nothing like a good moan along with a liberal dose of superiority :smile:

No, its just i was a bit miffed at the line up thats all...dunno really what i was expecting. The comedy night sounds ok though, i guess i'l just loiter around the various pubs in the area and see if i can scout out any decent indie nights.

Each to their own. Your in London plenty of opportunities.
All freshers weeks are like this mate in fact If you look closley you will find all end of year ball's, freshers weeks, school disco's, comapany work do's, employee surprise birthdays, etc etc are all organised by exactly the same group of unimaginative folks.

Dont get me wrong its not a complaint just an observation.

Additionally theres always a healthy number of people hanging round the bar wondering "dear god who the hell put these idiots in charge again" and those will be the same people you will be hanging round the bar with in every school disco, freshers week or work do you ever attend.... so your not alone mate.

Anyhow, you wouldnt get me to an RnB night if you cut off my limbs and dragged me so if you wanna get together and do something less embarrassing then Im with you all the way.:biggrin:
SkinnyPuppyBones
Anyhow, you wouldnt get me to an RnB night if you cut off my limbs and dragged me so if you wanna get together and do something less embarrassing then Im with you all the way.:biggrin:

Yeah, yeah. We get it. You like industrial. Some people just choose to groove with music that isn't 15 to 20 years old.
aristademis
Yeah, yeah. We get it. You like industrial. Some people just choose to groove with music that isn't 15 to 20 years old.

OK Mr patronization, what do you suggest? shall we whip out the Banjo's and put a show on the barn like you did back in the good ol day's?

My eye's do this --->:rolleyes:
SkinnyPuppyBones
OK Mr patronization, what do you suggest? shall we whip out the Banjo's and put a show on the barn like you did back in the good ol day's?

My eye's do this --->:rolleyes:

Actually, I was just giving you a hard time, but since you asked...

You weren't even born when Skinny Puppy was relevent, let alone old enough to see them perform. Let me guess, you hang out with other "children of darkness" smoking cigarettes and trading pseudo-intellectual tales of of life, while complaing that everyone that likes current music is just being trendy while following a trend yourselves that was already two decades old by the time you picked up your copy of VIVIisect VI?

P.S. I'm still just giving you ****, so don't go strainin' your eyes with all your eye rollin'.
flirts gonan be int he great hall... hahaha wonder how that will turn out

the only one i'm genuinly intrested in is the DnB room at fabric
<3 fabric

that said since i'm at halls i'll probably hit some of the other ones, but most likely i'll check out other uni's freshers stuff
Reply 16
Can't believe there's flirt in the great hall! To me, great hall = EXAMS- it'll be so weird...
aristademis
Actually, I was just giving you a hard time, but since you asked...

You weren't even born when Skinny Puppy was relevent, let alone old enough to see them perform. Let me guess, you hang out with other "children of darkness" smoking cigarettes and trading pseudo-intellectual tales of of life, while complaing that everyone that likes current music is just being trendy while following a trend yourselves that was already two decades old by the time you picked up your copy of VIVIisect VI?

P.S. I'm still just giving you ****, so don't go strainin' your eyes with all your eye rollin'.

....yes thats obviously me, tell me is it psychology your studying? cos it sure isnt social etiquette is it! (i think more eye strain is on order) :rolleyes:

I could defend myself from your rather spontaneous and uncalled for insult and dull attempt to stereotype me but Im sure without the constraints of a few thousand miles of distance between us and the anonymity of the internet you perhaps wouldnt be quite so bold to as to lash out at people in such a fashion.

Nevertheless you have utterly misread me.

Likely enough we could both fill pages with this brand of discussion, but in all honesty it really doesnt matter to me how you feel I dont know you and utterly indifferent about ever meeting you.

I have little time to spare continuing this silliness here, however perhaps if ever you felt sufficiently neanderthal to "give me ****" as you so eloquently expressed (yep more of this):rolleyes: there is precisely no confusion as to where I will be living in a few weeks so perhaps you could drop in and be a little more precise about how morally superior you must feel being as "mature" as you imply you are?

yes/no?

or perhaps you'd like to finish with a smart/dismissive remark here?

Additionally I hope everyone here has a great freshers week, I apologize if I have accidentally offended anyones taste in music or whatever I didnt intend to appear derogative.

Anyway, whatever, I feel no reason to bore others who post here with further clarification, anyone who would like me to can always drop by.:dontknow:

I look forward to meeting people at freshers week im sure we will all have a great time even the OP :biggrin:
SkinnyPuppyBones
whining

Christ. I'm teasing you. Get over yourself and stop being such a baby. How do you expect to make it through life without the occasional rib?
Would anyone here be kind enough to send me the freshers week info?

QMUL screwed up my address so all my mail is going to arabia! :eek:

I have tried to change it twice but nothing seems to have happened...

my email is [email protected]

Latest

Trending

Trending