Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, since I'm at work and doing absolutely nothing because I can't stop checking my e-mail and refreshing LSE4U, I figured I'd see if anyone knows if there is any truth to this myth.

I applied October 20th, 2016 to the MISDI program and have not yet heard a peep. This puts me at 11 weeks of holding my breath. I've heard rumors that a decision would be made within 8 weeks and if you are rejected you will most certainly know within the 8 week average, however, you won't receive an offer until January.

This implies that if you survive beyond the "8 week" mark without being rejected, if you applied before the new year, you are likely accepted. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Or your own speculation about it?

Of course... I'm only posting this to calm my nerves!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have applied for Management courses in early October and haven't been contacted till now so it's been over 10 weeks (before Christmas vacation) and you post did make me feel hopeful. In fact I know that a decision is 8-week timeframe and those who apply early in October will be notified by Christmas if they get rejected. If not then it hope it is a good news as LSE starts releasing offers in January after New Year. At least I'm delighted that I'm not the only one who has this logic ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy2534)
    Hi

I have applied for Management courses in early October and haven't been contacted till now so it's been over 10 weeks (before Christmas vacation) and you post did make me feel hopeful. In fact I know that a decision is 8-week timeframe and those who apply early in October will be notified by Christmas if they get rejected. If not then it hope it is a good news as LSE starts releasing offers in January after New Year. At least I'm delighted that I'm not the only one who has this logic ^_^
    Join the official Facebook LSE postgraduate page at 'LSE Postgraduate Offer Holder 2017/2018' and start building your network early!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanjb55)
    So, since I'm at work and doing absolutely nothing because I can't stop checking my e-mail and refreshing LSE4U, I figured I'd see if anyone knows if there is any truth to this myth.

I applied October 20th, 2016 to the MISDI program and have not yet heard a peep. This puts me at 11 weeks of holding my breath. I've heard rumors that a decision would be made within 8 weeks and if you are rejected you will most certainly know within the 8 week average, however, you won't receive an offer until January.

This implies that if you survive beyond the "8 week" mark without being rejected, if you applied before the new year, you are likely accepted. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Or your own speculation about it?

I personally know a few people who got rejected from LSE in the New Year while they were on Week 11/12 for Econ and Philosophy. I imagine that the proportion of rejections : offers gets better after Week 8, but then again this is based on entirely anecdotal evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, figured as much. Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at it in similar terms.. that the longer I go without a rejection, the more likely an acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alejandro123)
    Join the official Facebook LSE postgraduate page at 'LSE Postgraduate Offer Holder 2017/2018' and start building your network early!
    Thanks a lot for this. Your post really gives me a great hope. ^_^

ReputationRep:

It's a myth.

The 8-week limit is purely advisory, and it varies from course to course. Your application goes to an academic in the department for consideration, and how long you wait purely depends on how often said academic sits down and sifts through all the applications.

The only time I'd ever be anxious is if applicants that applied before you for your exact programme are receiving decisions and you haven't.

There are also (very rarely) hold ups in graduate admissions, as they need to check the conditional offers being made are fair before releasing them to the candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)

The only time I'd ever be anxious is if applicants that applied before you for your exact programme are receiving decisions and you haven't.
    Very informative, thanks. I'm seeing people that have applied after me get accepted.. could you explain why "applying before me" is an issue?

ReputationRep:
    Very informative, thanks. I'm seeing people that have applied after me get accepted.. could you explain why "applying before me" is an issue?
    Just because you'd expect applications to be processed by the academic selector in chronological order. You'll more often than not see that people applying for the same programme at a similar time will receive a decision on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    It's a myth.

The 8-week limit is purely advisory, and it varies from course to course. Your application goes to an academic in the department for consideration, and how long you wait purely depends on how often said academic sits down and sifts through all the applications.

There are also (very rarely) hold ups in graduate admissions, as they need to check the conditional offers being made are fair before releasing them to the candidate.
    Hi

My application has been hold for much longer than 8 weeks (10 weeks I guess) but it's the Management program which I haven't seen anyone in this forum have got offers yet. Most of offers I have seen are mostly in Economics and Finance and I'm not sure if this is weird or not.

ReputationRep:
    Just got offer for MSC Economics & Management after painful 4 months of waiting ^_^ Best of luck to everyone who is waiting. The longer you wait the higher chances you will get in (I've been waiting since October so I completely understand your feeling) ^_^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.