Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to Access to Medicine as a foreigner with no GCSE's Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ! My situation is quite complicated but i'll give it my best shot to explain . My name is Klavs , I was born in Latvia and recently turned 23 years old. I had to drop out of high school back home at the age of 16 due family circumstances and since then I've been living in several different countries and working mostly in hospitality and doing volunteer work in Asia and Africa. I arrived in England when I was 21 and decided to stay and continue my education here . I have always been deeply interested in science and medicine , and I do not want to waste any more time by working in hospitality , so I want to apply for an access course starting in September this year . The problem is that I do not have any GCSE's at this moment and the school where I finished grade 9 back home has been closed ,so I have zero qualifications to show when applying. I was wondering would I have time to take the exams this year before September and start in the Access course this year ? I went trough the past papers of Maths and English exams from previous years and it seems fairly simple and I am very confident that I'd be able to pass the Maths exam with grade A and English with at least B ( For the Access course I am interested in, the college requires B or above in both ) .Also for last half of year I have been working as a care worker with elderly and recovering drug addicts and I very much enjoy the kind of work and I feel certain that I have the mental capacity to study medicine . Anyways if any of you could give me any advice of what my next step should be or if I even have a somewhat realistic chance of advancing with this plan , I would appreciate it a lot .
    Thank you
    K xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I honestly have not looked into the specific requirements of medicine as I'm going for paramedic practice however, I have heard that medicine is a highly competitive course to get places.

The only thing I would suggest is once you are doing your access course and applications are open it doesn't hurt to try and apply for some courses. After all, the only thing you will loose is a possible fee for the application and travel fees if you get interviews.

If you do not get an offer and this is really what you want to do then you can work on your qualifications and apply again the next time. It may also help to explain yourself in your application.

I hope you succeed in getting into medicine!

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klavskruz)
    Hey guys ! My situation is quite complicated but i'll give it my best shot to explain . My name is Klavs , I was born in Latvia and recently turned 23 years old. I had to drop out of high school back home at the age of 16 due family circumstances and since then I've been living in several different countries and working mostly in hospitality and doing volunteer work in Asia and Africa. I arrived in England when I was 21 and decided to stay and continue my education here . I have always been deeply interested in science and medicine , and I do not want to waste any more time by working in hospitality , so I want to apply for an access course starting in September this year . The problem is that I do not have any GCSE's at this moment and the school where I finished grade 9 back home has been closed ,so I have zero qualifications to show when applying. I was wondering would I have time to take the exams this year before September and start in the Access course this year ? I went trough the past papers of Maths and English exams from previous years and it seems fairly simple and I am very confident that I'd be able to pass the Maths exam with grade A and English with at least B ( For the Access course I am interested in, the college requires B or above in both ) .Also for last half of year I have been working as a care worker with elderly and recovering drug addicts and I very much enjoy the kind of work and I feel certain that I have the mental capacity to study medicine . Anyways if any of you could give me any advice of what my next step should be or if I even have a somewhat realistic chance of advancing with this plan , I would appreciate it a lot .
    Thank you
    K xx
    I think the best place for you to start is to look into local colleges that offer the Access course you would like to do and ask them what the entry requirements are. It may be that the college will need you to complete Maths and English GCSE's before you can start the Access course. Either way, the college will be best placed to advise you.

You might also want to think about funding for GCSE's/Access course. An Advanced Learner Loan can be taken out to fund such courses however you would need to check if you are eligible for this due to how long you have been resident in the UK. You can find out more on the .gov website. https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice ! I booked a spot in information sessions next month at Sussex Downs College , and i sort of have my mind set on that since I have been based in Brighton for last year and I find this city really amazing ! Now I just need to figure out how to take the GCSE's as a private candidate before the course starts

ReputationRep:
    Good luck,

Generally assessments can only be done by an institution that has been approved by the awarding body so your mostly likely looking at calling schools and colleges to see if they have any capacity or allow private candidates.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of contacting the exam board directly ( AQA for example) ,and asking them for an advice. Do you reckon that I should just look up the schools and colleges in my area and contact them instead ?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You need to check if the college you are interested in has minimum requirements. And they can advise on how to take them.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx

What qualifications do students need to start an Access to HE course?

Access to HE courses are designed to meet the needs of people who have few formal qualifications, though some courses may require GCSEs in English and/or maths.

Courses which don't require any specific previous qualifications normally ask applicants to complete some kind of written assessment, to identify whether they are likely to cope with the demands of the course and be able to meet the standards of the Access to HE Diploma. This kind of assessment is usually designed to test applicants’ skills in written English. For some courses, there may also be a numeracy test, if skills in this area are important for the particular Diploma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.