Turn on thread page Beta

how long does santander student overdraft take? watch

ReputationRep:
    so I had a current account with santander for a long time and on the 30th Dec 2016 I went in to the branch to change it to a student current account. it was all done straight away, and the guy said it would take 24 hours max for the £250 overdraft to come in. I also deliberately took £500 out and put it back in deliberately to trigger the £1500 overdraft - he said this would be fine.

however, it's now Jan 4th and none of the overdraft is showing on my online banking whatsoever, including the £250 I'm on holiday in america right now so I'm unable to visit my local branch or call and I'm starting to run out of funds so I really need my overdraft asap...

I had an email saying my new contactless card has been dispatched already, and when I was at the bank he said it was all approved so I don't understand what's taking so long. has anyone else had the same experience? does anyone know how long it should take or any suggestions what I should do? I don't get back to London till the 12th.

thanks a lot if you can help me or give me any information at all!!

ReputationRep:
    There has also been bank holidays since then.. It could be that it wasn't set up properly and they've been working through the backlog of christmas.

When you go on holiday you should always make sure you have enough cash to cover you.
    Since you're away i'd limit what you spend for the next week and go in as soon as possible, the issue is you've gone away so you've made yourself completely unavailable to contact them in case this happens.

ReputationRep:
    Did this get sorted? Currently sorting out my student bank account with Santander and panicking. I was already with them and had an overdraft of £700, by upgrading to the student account they have reduced my overdraft to £250, and needing to know how long it will take to up to £1500 (bank advised me today to withdraw £500 and put it straight back in to trigger the overdraft). Relying on it unfortunately as I have a daughter as well and student loans only go so far.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.