Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared about sequels? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever refused to watch a sequel to a film you love because of the fear that it might not live up to the first film and may in fact jeopardize your impression of that film?

For example, I love Finding Nemo but I've been incredibly reluctant to watch Finding Dory just in case it ruins the first film for me. Even though it got rave reviews and is probably just as great, I've always been too scared to give it a try. The same goes for the upcoming Blade Runner and Trainspotting sequels. I'm just terrified that they'll ruin everything I love about the first films :shock::shock::shock:.

ReputationRep:
    I hate sequels. Say for example pitch perfect 2 :mad: i didnt think it lived up to my expectations
    But finding dory 👍 i thought was great. Not a let down for me.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    I hate sequels. Say for example pitch perfect 2 :mad: i didnt think it lived up to my expectations
    But finding dory 👍 i thought was great. Not a let down for me.
    Me too, 9 times out of 10 they're just unnecessary cash-ins (and it seems that more and more get churned out these days). I have no doubt that Finding Dory is great, maybe I'll give it a watch soon and overcome this silly fear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    Me too, 9 times out of 10 they're just unnecessary cash-ins (and it seems that more and more get churned out these days). I have no doubt that Finding Dory is great, maybe I'll give it a watch soon and overcome this silly fear!
    Exactly!
    I do recommend finding dory. Just pretend it's not a sequel.

ReputationRep:
    Finding Dory actually works as a stand alone tbh. It of course has references too Finding Nemo but they all make a bit of sense to the plot and it's a very well put together movie. I do agree with you however because most of the time it's just the studio looking to make more money for example all of the Transformers sequels, Paranormal Activities, Jaws, Grease, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Matrix and even The Godfather (part 3) the list just goes on and on. However, I have seen a couple of sequels that I've like even better than the original movie but that's mostly because they're telling a completely different story compared to the original film.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the idea of sequels "ruining" the other films in a series/franchise personally, a great film is still a great film and you can instantly refresh your love for it after a bad sequel by just watching the other film(s) again. The Matrix will still go down as a sci fi masterpiece even if its sequels are garbage, the Star Wars and LOTR trilogies will still go down in history as some of the best trilogies of all time even after being given a string of prequels that range from mediocre to downright horrific (Rogue One not included). The real issue is people allowing a completely separate piece of cinema affect their love of another. It's always going to be different, for better or for worse, and by abritrarily not watching sequels you're cornering yourself off from experiencing a whole load of awesome films.

ReputationRep:
    I just look up the Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes score and see if it's worth watching. If it's a bad movie I'll see it as it's own thing, not as ruining the original.

There are some good sequels though, like, Aliens, The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2, Mad Max: Fury Road, the Toy Storys, The Empire Strikes Back, Captain America: The Winter Solider and Civil War, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Back to the Future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.