Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finished HIMYM and I need something to fill the void Watch

ReputationRep:
    I managed to finish HIMYM the other day and it it by far the best show I have seen imo it (just) beats Friends.
    I was wondering I there is anything else like HIMYM which is hilarious throughout but the characters grow along with the show.

Any other genres are welcome (already watch TWD on season break though).

ReputationRep:
    I mean there's rules of engagement but that got canceled, it's not as good as friends or HIMYM. I'm currently rewatching Fresh Prince of Belair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccaism)
    I mean there's rules of engagement but that got canceled, it's not as good as friends or HIMYM. I'm currently rewatching Fresh Prince of Belair
    Yeah thats actually a good shout as the two do sound simular to a degree. Hows Fresh prince of Belair a second time? As far as I'm aware I have actually seen that but the storyline is a little hazy

Gave New girl a go and it seems ok so far but I wouldn't say I'm enjoying that much tbh .I think I just miss the randomness of Barney .
    Will definitely give Rules of engagement a go.

ReputationRep:
    List of shows I'd recommend that are on Netflix UK:

- Arrested Development (the first few eps are rough and awkward, but it's funny)
    - BoJack Horseman (watch up to the 6th episode at least and then decide if you want to watch the rest - warning very emotional, more so than HIMYM could ever be)
    - Community (Wayyy better than HIMYM)
    - Fawlty Towers
    - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    - The Marvel Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage)
    - Rick and Morty
    - Sherlock
    - Star Trek
    - Stranger Things
    - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Shows like HIMYM:
    - Big Bang Theory
    - Brooklyn Nine-Nine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena64)
    List of shows I'd recommend that are on Netflix UK:

- Arrested Development (the first few eps are rough and awkward, but it's funny)
    - BoJack Horseman (watch up to the 6th episode at least and then decide if you want to watch the rest - warning very emotional, more so than HIMYM could ever be)
    - Community (Wayyy better than HIMYM)
    - Fawlty Towers
    - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    - The Marvel Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage)
    - Rick and Morty
    - Sherlock
    - Star Trek
    - Stranger Things
    - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Shows like HIMYM:
    - Big Bang Theory
    - Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    More emotional than HIMYM? Challenge accepted!

Anyway will also give community a go and maybe Big bang theory but I remember hating it when I was younger so I guess I'll see how things go.

Thanks for your recommendations

ReputationRep:
    Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    this is building on someone's netflix list but including amazon stuff as well as tv stuff:

Arrested development- avoid season 4 as it is crap (why must isla fisher ruin so many things)
    Bojack - season 1 was hit and miss, season 2 was good, season 3 awsome.

community is semi-overrated

fawlty towers- classic

rick & morty and its always sunny... good if you like crude humour otherwise ignore

sherlock i hear is good

startrek is a no unless your into it

big bang theory: s1 &2 good, s3 ok, s4 decent, s5 crap s6 decent, s7-9 rubbish, s10 (current season) is the best since season 3 (season 2 best overall imo).

a few more shows to recommend:

scrubs: s1-8 worth watching; view s9 as a spin-off

veronica mars: highly underrated

izombie: surprised it is only on netflix and hasnt been released on tv as it is great

chuck - season 1,2,3 good, s4 starts out ok but becomes crap, season 5 is crap minus last episode which is awsome;

allo allo - imo the best classic british sitcom made but beware it is quite un-pc

inbetweeners
    blackadder (all seasons minus 1st season)

sons of anarchy if you like drama stuff

outlander (game of thrones minus mythical stuff)

person of interest - season 1 had a good ending (i found it mostly dull but most people who seen it like s1) s2 good, s3 & s4 great. s5 awsome.

my wife & kids - good comedy but feels a bit forced humour

fresh prince - no intro needed

suits - good humour and drama

gilmore girls - lorelai & rory = female harvey and mike from suits. gilmore is however more feminine and drama but has some interesting comedy actors (melissa mcarthy, alex borstein, seth macfarlane)

buffy the vampire slayer (series not crappy 90s movie) & angel. the former has better stories; the latter better acting.

ReputationRep:
    Fam watch How to Get Away with Murder if you haven't already
    I almost puked it was so intense
    Season 3 resumes on the 19th!!

Also Stranger Things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    this is building on someone's netflix list but including amazon stuff as well as tv stuff:

Arrested development- avoid season 4 as it is crap (why must isla fisher ruin so many things)
    Bojack - season 1 was hit and miss, season 2 was good, season 3 awsome.

fawlty towers- classic

rick & morty and its always sunny... good if you like crude humour otherwise ignore

sherlock i hear is good

startrek is a no unless your into it

big bang theory: s1 &2 good, s3 ok, s4 decent, s5 crap s6 decent, s7-9 rubbish, s10 (current season) is the best since season 3 (season 2 best overall imo).

a few more shows to recommend:

scrubs: s1-8 worth watching; view s9 as a spin-off

veronica mars: highly underrated

izombie: surprised it is only on netflix and hasnt been released on tv as it is great

chuck - season 1,2,3 good, s4 starts out ok but becomes crap, season 5 is crap minus last episode which is awsome;

allo allo - imo the best classic british sitcom made but beware it is quite un-pc

inbetweeners
    blackadder (all seasons minus 1st season)

sons of anarchy if you like drama stuff

outlander (game of thrones minus mythical stuff)

person of interest - season 1 had a good ending (i found it mostly dull but most people who seen it like s1) s2 good, s3 & s4 great. s5 awsome.

my wife & kids - good comedy but feels a bit forced humour

fresh prince - no intro needed

suits - good humour and drama

gilmore girls - lorelai & rory = female harvey and mike from suits. gilmore is however more feminine and drama but has some interesting comedy actors (melissa mcarthy, alex borstein, seth macfarlane)

buffy the vampire slayer (series not crappy 90s movie) & angel. the former has better stories; the latter better acting.
    You didnt like s4 of Chuck? Agreed about s5. First half about Morgan was boring. Last few episodes was good. My favourite tv show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverWater)
    More emotional than HIMYM? Challenge accepted!

Anyway will also give community a go and maybe Big bang theory but I remember hating it when I was younger so I guess I'll see how things go.

Thanks for your recommendations
    But like... depressed emotional. Like, seriously man.

I don't like Big Bang Theory, but everyone I know that likes HIMYM likes it too, and so I assumed they were similar. Never watched it because of what I have seen it is very bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Gasp!

Maybe on the Internet, but I'm not part of the fandom or whatever. By itself it's an example of masterful storytelling arcs and homages. So many fun explorations of genre and tropes!

However, the first season has some major awkwardness. Watch it, but continue watching until season 2. Avoid Season 4 like the plague, it's when they kicked of genius Dan Harmon and turned into BBT levels of bad.

EDIT: Oh, also add Firefly to my list, whoops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs?
    Hows scrubs? Would be weird seeing Stella (yes I know that's not her name) in a different character but if it's good why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena64)
    But like... depressed emotional. Like, seriously man.

I don't like Big Bang Theory, but everyone I know that likes HIMYM likes it too, and so I assumed they were similar. Never watched it because of what I have seen it is very bad...
    May dodge that one then because I need something just to make me escape from reality for a few minutes a day. A levels can take a bit of a toll nasty times.

I guess if I get desperate I'll go with Big Bang Theory

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing to fill the void

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowcey Rahman)
    There is nothing to fill the void
    Really? I hope not. Himym has one hell of a controversial ending which makes it kinda worst lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverWater)
    Really? I hope not. Himym has one hell of a controversial ending which makes it kinda worst lol
    Well, I'd recommend a show called 'Suits' on Netflix. It's amazing!
    A disadvantage of it would be that they don't air all series, to which this ended up making me quite upset and lost as I didn't know what website to go on to carry it forward.

ReputationRep:
    Silicon Valley (Not comedy like Friends per se, but extremely satirical)
    Chicago Fire, P.D., Med (Great shows--PD is my favourite but Med is getting there as well)
    The Blacklist (James Spader makes it fantastic)
    Outlander (Think GoT but less misogynistic and less fantastical)
    Scream (It's quite cheesy at times but the characters and the score make it worth it)
    Sense8 (Very, very different from anything you've seen. Give it 5 episodes before you make any judgements.)
    Homeland (An intense thriller with great acting and story cough *Season 3 notwithstanding* cough)
    Billions (It's bloody great)
    Mr. Robot (A phenomenal show that might confuse you at times but it's one of the best. Plus, it portrays hacking almost perfectly unlike every other show where everyone just types with 670 words per second and crack any firewall in less than a minute)

There must be more, but this is off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denkata)
    Silicon Valley (Not comedy like Friends per se, but extremely satirical)
    Chicago Fire, P.D., Med (Great shows--PD is my favourite but Med is getting there as well)
    The Blacklist (James Spader makes it fantastic)
    Outlander (Think GoT but less misogynistic and less fantastical)
    Scream (It's quite cheesy at times but the characters and the score make it worth it)
    Sense8 (Very, very different from anything you've seen. Give it 5 episodes before you make any judgements.)
    Homeland (An intense thriller with great acting and story cough *Season 3 notwithstanding* cough)
    Billions (It's bloody great)
    Mr. Robot (A phenomenal show that might confuse you at times but it's one of the best. Plus, it portrays hacking almost perfectly unlike every other show where everyone just types with 670 words per second and crack any firewall in less than a minute)

There must be more, but this is off the top of my head.
    Yeah I have seen all of mr robot (the season finale just made me rethink about the whole series) and it's amazing

I think I have a lot of tv catch up on now.

Thanks for everyone help

ReputationRep:
    HIMYM the best you show you've ever seen. Cor blimey.

Objectively speaking, that title is reserved for the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos. The Wire takes first. I'd put Breaking Bad third.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 23six)
    HIMYM the best you show you've ever seen. Cor blimey.

Objectively speaking, that title is reserved for the likes of The Wire and The Sopranos. The Wire takes first. I'd put Breaking Bad third.
    Well I have seen some others like TWD , Mr Robot and Friends etc but HIMYM is my favourite. Fair enough I haven't watched that much TV in my life but is that necesarily a bad thing?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.