Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finished HIMYM and I need something to fill the void Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverWater)
    I managed to finish HIMYM the other day and it it by far the best show I have seen imo it (just) beats Friends.
    I was wondering I there is anything else like HIMYM which is hilarious throughout but the characters grow along with the show.

Any other genres are welcome (already watch TWD on season break though).
    Scrubs? or Chuck? or Psych? If you like Barney I think you would like Shawn too!

Person of Interest
    Suits

Some more I saw and thought are worth mentioning again:

The Blacklist
    Homeland
    Billions
    Breaking Bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    chuck - season 1,2,3 good, s4 starts out ok but becomes crap, season 5 is crap minus last episode which is awsome;

person of interest - season 1 had a good ending (i found it mostly dull but most people who seen it like s1) s2 good, s3 & s4 great. s5 awsome.

suits - good humour and drama
    Almost all the ones I recommended! :five:

And well maybe, but by the end of S3 I loved Chuck so much I didn't care it got worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    You didnt like s4 of Chuck? Agreed about s5. First half about Morgan was boring. Last few episodes was good. My favourite tv show.
    Mine too! Well along with Scrubs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    You didnt like s4 of Chuck? Agreed about s5. First half about Morgan was boring. Last few episodes was good. My favourite tv show.
    s4 was good till ellie gave birth. then it dragged too much and the wedding episode was crap imo
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena64)
    Gasp!

Maybe on the Internet, but I'm not part of the fandom or whatever. By itself it's an example of masterful storytelling arcs and homages. So many fun explorations of genre and tropes!

However, the first season has some major awkwardness. Watch it, but continue watching until season 2. Avoid Season 4 like the plague, it's when they kicked of genius Dan Harmon and turned into BBT levels of bad.

EDIT: Oh, also add Firefly to my list, whoops!
    season 3 was good, as were the paintball episodes. otherwise I wasnt a huge fan of it (still irked abed didnt end with annie but liked the relationship with brie larson - weird meta joke surprised harmon didnt use: abed has a brie fixation (his romantic interests were played by alison brie and brie larson)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hows scrubs? Would be weird seeing Stella (yes I know that's not her name) in a different character but if it's good why not
    the actress' name is sarah chalke. imo, her role in scrubs is easily her best role. essentially she is a clumsy pushover in 1-st 2 seasons. 3rd season she finally stands up for herself. 4-6 she is meh 7 ok 8 ends together with JD (main character)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denkata)
    Silicon Valley (Not comedy like Friends per se, but extremely satirical)
    Chicago Fire, P.D., Med (Great shows--PD is my favourite but Med is getting there as well)
    The Blacklist (James Spader makes it fantastic)
    Outlander (Think GoT but less misogynistic and less fantastical)
    Scream (It's quite cheesy at times but the characters and the score make it worth it)
    Sense8 (Very, very different from anything you've seen. Give it 5 episodes before you make any judgements.)
    Homeland (An intense thriller with great acting and story cough *Season 3 notwithstanding* cough)
    Billions (It's bloody great)
    Mr. Robot (A phenomenal show that might confuse you at times but it's one of the best. Plus, it portrays hacking almost perfectly unlike every other show where everyone just types with 670 words per second and crack any firewall in less than a minute)

There must be more, but this is off the top of my head.
    agreed with silicon valley and mr robot. billions i felt was boring minus damien lewis and paul giamatti. homeland I cant stand but the rest are good

ReputationRep:
    Hows scrubs? Would be weird seeing Stella (yes I know that's not her name) in a different character but if it's good why not
    Scrubs is the best!! Medical drama/comedy. Kind of makes you think but is also very funny
    Try an episode or two but give it time as season 1 was still finding itself haha

ReputationRep:
    If you want some bright happy sitcoms there's always:

Cheers & Frasier
    Seinfield
    Happy Days (it's a bit dated though)
    30 Rock
    Fresh Prince
    Parks and Recreation (takes you to a wonderful rural American town and is full of bright and charming characters - will definitely destress youl)
    The Office
    Golden Girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    agreed with silicon valley and mr robot. billions i felt was boring minus damien lewis and paul giamatti. homeland I cant stand but the rest are good
    Really, you found Billions boring? That's surprising. I keep replaying scenes from the season finale: the conversation between Chuck and Wendy when she kicks him out and the final showdown between Bobby and Chuck. I am eager for the next season!

I can understand why can't stand Homeland though. Still, I think this new season has a lot of potential judging from the premiere.

ReputationRep:
    I still miss HIMYM, watched lots of sitcoms since and some are really funny but I'm just not invested in what happens to the characters.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denkata)
    Really, you found Billions boring? That's surprising. I keep replaying scenes from the season finale: the conversation between Chuck and Wendy when she kicks him out and the final showdown between Bobby and Chuck. I am eager for the next season!

I can understand why can't stand Homeland though. Still, I think this new season has a lot of potential judging from the premiere.
    I havent seen the finale of billions, gave up after 5 episodes tbh. new season homeland ill see how it pans out (via online forums) before deciding to watch

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.