Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teeth Need Aid PLEASE HELP Watch

Hi, I'm a Fourteen year old boy who has bad teeth. My teeth are Yellow (Don't know why) and I can't seem to sort them out. I use Colgate Whitening toothpaste and they don't change at all. Furthermore my teeth also are quite wonky and I don't know if once I get braces, If they let me, if it will disallow me from getting the sorted out. I've been spending every ounce of my spare time searching on what could be wrong with them. I think i might need Enamel Rebuilding. Is that free with the NHS and can that be done at my age. My next dentist appointment is a couple of months away and I want to plan what things I'm going to ask him.
    Thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'm a Fourteen year old boy who has bad teeth. My teeth are Yellow (Don't know why) and I can't seem to sort them out. I use Colgate Whitening toothpaste and they don't change at all. Furthermore my teeth also are quite wonky and I don't know if once I get braces, If they let me, if it will disallow me from getting the sorted out. I've been spending every ounce of my spare time searching on what could be wrong with them. I think i might need Enamel Rebuilding. Is that free with the NHS and can that be done at my age. My next dentist appointment is a couple of months away and I want to plan what things I'm going to ask him.
    Thanks in advance
    Generally anything that falls into cosmetic dentistry isn't available on the NHS except from orthodontics like braces but your dentist is the only one that could give you a straight answer I m afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure to eat foods that don't stain you're teeth. You should use mouthwash too.

ReputationRep:
    The best solution is teeth whitening. costs like £350 and can get rid of shades of yellow. Unfortunately yellow is the natural colour of teeth and it happens because of thin enamel. There's not really a procedure to rebuild it, but some products do claim to do just that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance
    For adults each dental treatment on the NHS is put into a "band" which determines the cost. They range from around £15 for simple stuff to over £200 for complex things. I'm not sure how it works if you are a child though, I believe at least some things may be free. Whatever the case it will be cheaper for you now than in a few years so it's worth seeing what you can do now. You can google all of that though. I suggest googling "is NHS dental care free for 14 year olds" and "NHS dental price bands" or something along those lines.

There's not much point speculating about all of this until you know what's going on with your teeth though. Really what you need is to get your dentist to work out what's causing your issues and for them to advise you on the best treatment options. See if you can make a sooner dentist appointment and discuss all of your concerns with your dentist, including pricing.

(Original post by Kindred)
    For adults each dental treatment on the NHS is put into a "band" which determines the cost. They range from around £15 for simple stuff to over £200 for complex things. I'm not sure how it works if you are a child though, I believe at least some things may be free. Whatever the case it will be cheaper for you now than in a few years so it's worth seeing what you can do now. You can google all of that though. I suggest googling "is NHS dental care free for 14 year olds" and "NHS dental price bands" or something along those lines.

There's not much point speculating about all of this until you know what's going on with your teeth though. Really what you need is to get your dentist to work out what's causing your issues and for them to advise you on the best treatment options. See if you can make a sooner dentist appointment and discuss all of your concerns with your dentist, including pricing.
    Pricing is a huge problem to me as my family are struggling with both my parents hunting for a job. I hardly think they can spare much money...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Pricing is a huge problem to me as my family are struggling with both my parents hunting for a job. I hardly think they can spare much money...
    See what the situation is given your age. I believe there are also plans for low-income individuals so if it's not free for your age you can look into that. Best way to find out would probably be to call or visit wherever you are registered and ask them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.