Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#NationalTriviaDay is trending - what trivia do you know? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    Actually they have 1 true stomach the Abomasum, the other 3 are forestomachs (extensions of the esophagus).
    I stand partially corrected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    I stand partially corrected!
    Elk also have the same digestive system along with a few other other animals.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Elk also have the same digestive system along with a few other other animals.
    How amusing! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    There's a national shortage of those orange plastic barriers - Hull has them all.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Although I was just told that the University of York have the most amount of ducks per sq meter of any uni. Thought that was a cute trivia fact :loveduck:
    I'm not sure this is still true since they expanded to Hes East, but it probably depends how many ducks are studying at the new campus. :holmes:

Also, duck quacks do echo, despite what people often say. Any sound wave will always echo, quacks included, but the nature of it means it can be hard to distinguish the quack's echo from the original sound.

ReputationRep:
    There is a city in Inner Mongolia (China) called Hulunbuir, which is slightly larger than the UK by land area.

ReputationRep:
    She sells seashells on the sea-shore, is that a trivia?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    FACT OF THE DAY: Crab sticks do not actually contain any crab and from 1993 manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them "Crab-flavoured sticks".

ReputationRep:
    24 people are killed by champagne corks every year

Cheery fact for y'all
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hummingbirds have the fastest metabolism of any animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -Some believe (not me) that removing Lead from Petroleum fuel, a process which the UK completed in 1998, resulted in drastically lower levels of crime and an improvement in the IQ of the population.

-The initial draft of the Terminator was purchased by James Cameron for 1 dollar.

-The amount of particulates breathed in during a 20 minute journey on the Northern Line in the late 90's was thought to be roughly equivalent to a cigarette. Source: http://bart150-113.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/web/ben/Tube.htm Many newspapers at the time reported this as a scare story, and disregarded the fact that particulates breathed in on the Northern Line were mostly composed of Iron Oxide, significantly less harmful than the concoction of toxins produced by a cigarette.

-Ocarina of Time was developed in 6 months using a heavily modified Super Mario 64 engine.

-In the original Legend of Zelda and MS-DOS release of Doom a swastika can be seen. In both games it forms part of the floor.

-The original VHS, and Laserdisc versions (and some DVD releases) of The Lion King contain an Easter egg. When Simba relaxes on top of a cliff, some dust blows out into the distance, the word SFX (an Easter egg by the animators for 'Special effects') is often mistaken for... Something else...

ReputationRep:
    RMS Queen Mary was originally meant to be named RMS Queen Victoria, who Cunard considered to be "Britain's greatest Queen". Unfortunately for Cunard, when they asked King George V for permission to name their ship after "Britain's greatest Queen", the King replied "My wife [Queen Mary] would be delighted". Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Orange the colour was named after the fruit - it used to be known as yellow-red.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Orange the colour was named after the fruit - it used to be known as yellow-red.
    really??? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... Russian Standard was founded in 1998.
    On the russian standard bottle, it mentions Mendeleev's name as the man who pioneered the distillation (triple if I remember correctly)

Needless to say, I think russian standard is like fosters in Australia, They dont sell it there I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    really??? :shock:
    Yup, in the early 16th century. The colour used to be called geoluhread by the English speaking world. Also "geel" means yellow in Dutch.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Yup, in the early 16th century. The colour used to be called geoluhread by the English speaking world. Also "geel" means yellow in Dutch.
    I never knew this!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Trivia....Trivia...

Hmm. Tom hanks is directly related to abraham lincoln.

ermm.. In york, it is still legal to shoot a scotsman with a bow and arrow from the city walls.

When you touch something that is hot or cold, as simple as it sounds the heat moves at the speed of light, your brain/nervous system just slows that perception down.

It takes seven seconds for oxygen (or anything else you inhale) to reach your brain.

The tyrannosaurus rex existed in time closer to humans than the tyrannosaurus rex existed in time to the stegosaurus.

Any metals in a vacuum (without a layer of oxidation) will fuse together instantaneously when touched together, regardless of which metals are used.

Look at a picture of tortuga from space....

Jesus' real name was Yeshua bin Josef. Or Joshua, son of joseph.

A man named Will Scully defended a hotel from a guerilla militia in sierra leone. a significant portion of it was fought on his own. The building he defended (with almost 200 civilians inside) received over 200 rpg blasts and 12.7mm gunfire. The battle was so sustained, he had to collect the pieces of belt for the ammunition from the floor of the roof, run downstairs, give them to the civilians to fit together again so he could still defend the building, and run back upstairs to resume the defence. This bit of trivia is strange, but it is an incredible story. He led an evacuation that led the civilians to safety. He wrote a book detailing the story called "once a pilgrim" it can be a bit of a dry read, but its very humbling and amazing to imagine!

The monkey from friends had to be fired... He kept on vomiting worms on set.

The first Nike shoes were made with a waffle iron.

erm... In the first Saw movie, both actors chained in the room were not aware of the twist. The scenes in that room were all filmed in one day. Both of their reactions to the twist were completely genuine.

and to finish..... I havent done enough studying today. That last bit of trivia was amazing right?! (I also like the fact that the punctuation marks ?! one after the other is called an "interrobang"! haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aerospengie)
    There's a national shortage of those orange plastic barriers - Hull has them all.
    I used to live in Leeds, there was always a street where a pile of them would be set on fire on bonfire night.

ReputationRep:
    98% of all atoms in a human body are replaced every year so you quite literally are a different person to last year.

All the heavy elements in the human body or on earth are made in stars.( Anything not hydrogen basically)

There is a high probability that every time you inhale,you inhale oxygen atoms from ceasars last breath.

A group of flamingos is a flamboyance of flamingos.A group of owls is called a parliament of owls.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.