Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#NationalTriviaDay is trending - what trivia do you know? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    98% of all atoms in a human body are replaced every year so you quite literally are a different person to last year.

All the heavy elements in the human body or on earth are made in stars.( Anything not hydrogen basically)

There is a high probability that every time you inhale,you inhale oxygen atoms from ceasars last breath.

A group of flamingos is a flamboyance of flamingos.A group of owls is called a parliament of owls.
    In a book I have (will take far too long to find) the author runs calculations that show that this really is true! its incredible!

ReputationRep:
    All this trivia has got my brain working!

I was going to type this out, but I think the guys at Kurzgesagt will say it better ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNF3_30lUE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    On the russian standard bottle, it mentions Mendeleev's name as the man who pioneered the distillation (triple if I remember correctly)

Needless to say, I think russian standard is like fosters in Australia, They dont sell it there I think.
    Its a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    Its a lie.
    Mendeleev's apparent "pioneering" of distillation tech? Or the fosters thing? (or both? Probably both right? lol)

ReputationRep:
    A man named Will Scully defended a hotel from a guerilla militia in sierra leone. a significant portion of it was fought on his own. The building he defended (with almost 200 civilians inside) received over 200 rpg blasts and 12.7mm gunfire. The battle was so sustained, he had to collect the pieces of belt for the ammunition from the floor of the roof, run downstairs, give them to the civilians to fit together again so he could still defend the building, and run back upstairs to resume the defence. This bit of trivia is strange, but it is an incredible story. He led an evacuation that led the civilians to safety. He wrote a book detailing the story called "once a pilgrim" it can be a bit of a dry read, but its very humbling and amazing to imagine!
    Funny you should mention Will, I actually know him. Really nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Mendeleev's apparent "pioneering" of distillation tech? Or the fosters thing? (or both? Probably both right? lol)
    Mendeleev, he never wrote about vodka or distilation.

Don't know about Fosters, but I do know the UK version is made in Tadcaster, Yorkshire

ReputationRep:
    Funny you should mention Will, I actually know him. Really nice guy.
    You are kidding me... I've been reading that book since I was a wee lad. One of the most inspiring stories Ive read about! That's astonishing, I hope he's doing well!

He was one of the main driving factors for me applying for the paras. Ended up being rejected because of heart tremors, but I'm very thankful for his recounting of his experiences all the same. Great book, I always try to cajole my mates into reading it!

Edit: Feel duty bound to say he's made of greater stuff than most men. I always found it fascinating how he used his training to deal with such insurmountable odds. Truly harrowing and humbling.

ReputationRep:
    Mendeleev, he never wrote about vodka or distilation.

Don't know about Fosters, but I do know the UK version is made in Tadcaster, Yorkshire
    Well.. Thanks for that, Ill have to relay this info to my friend (who actually has Will's book right now!) for he is the wodka drinker! haha

ReputationRep:
    A sloth travels an average of 4 metres per day apparently

ReputationRep:
    You are kidding me... I've been reading that book since I was a wee lad. One of the most inspiring stories Ive read about! That's astonishing, I hope he's doing well!

He was one of the main driving factors for me applying for the paras. Ended up being rejected because of heart tremors, but I'm very thankful for his recounting of his experiences all the same. Great book, I always try to cajole my mates into reading it!
    Nope, I went to school with his son. Lovely guy, doesn't seem like the type to be a trained killer.

He went on to work for CNN as security in warzones. Best to say he isn't exactly poor now.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I went to school with his son. Lovely guy, doesn't seem like the type to be a trained killer.

He went on to work for CNN as security in warzones. Best to say he isn't exactly poor now.
    Yeah, strangely I got that vibe from his book. Other books I have read from military men have that detached vibe. While there were still some of those vibes (obviously from the training) there was still a relatable human perspective of the civilians and their plight. Probably one of the factors as to why the book stuck with me for so long.

That's truly really good to hear he's doing well. You've made my day mate. :-)

Thanks, now... I havent slept in two days... Im off to bed! hahah Thanks again!

Edit: P.S When are they going to finish that damn movie adaptation already!!!! "the englishman" I think it's called.

ReputationRep:
    All vector spaces have a such a subspace {0v}. This subspace is the trivial subspace.

ReputationRep:
    The longest recorded flight time of a chicken is 13 seconds
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Cats are believed to be the only mammals who don't taste sweetness

ReputationRep:
    The HeLa cell line is immortal in that it will divide forever. It comes from Henrietta Lacks' cervical cancer cells (who later died of it) and has thus far produced more cells than there were in all of Lacks' body.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    B&Q stands for Block & Quayle.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    B&Q stands for Block & Quayle.
    I didn't know this either!! :eek3:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of going along with an American product here but
    Kool-Aid was originally marketed as "Fruit Smack"..
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In some states of America it is (/was?) legal to carry a flick knife; so long as you only have one arm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Leading French presidential candidate Francois Fillon is married to a British (Welsh) woman, who will likely become France's first lady later this year. Much more interestingly, for me, his younger brother is married to her younger sister.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6654397.stm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.