The Student Room Group

Should I do DofE

Should I do DofE silver in 1st year of 6th form?
Yes its never too late. If you feel like you haven't much experience then go for it. Some students actually join NCS whilst in the second year of sixth form

Remember the more experience you have the better for uni
Reply 2
Original post by sudent

Do it if you enjoy it. But not for the sake of filling in some space on your personal statement.
Naa mate not worth it
Original post by Hajra Momoniat
Yes its never too late. If you feel like you haven't much experience then go for it. Some students actually join NCS whilst in the second year of sixth form

Remember the more experience you have the better for uni

So are you saying my chances of being accepted into university are low just because I haven't done DofE or NCS?
As above I would say do it if you want to enjoy the experience and not just because it "looks good". DoFE is is also very time consuming so you may want to consider if you can manage your time effectively etc
Original post by TheYearNiner
So are you saying my chances of being accepted into university are low just because I haven't done DofE or NCS?

No that not what Im saying hence why I said that if you feel that you don't have enough experience but yes, do it also for enjoyment
No. Don't do it, DofE was the worst thing I've ever done in my life, and I did only do it so it would look good on my ucas etc. Unless you don't have too much work for 6th form, and you go out for hikes everyday, I definitely wouldn't do it. You've got to volunteer, do a skill and a physical activity, one for 6 months the other 2 for 3 months. That's not too bad, but it could be if you're doing harder a levels.

All I'm saying is, I'd rather cut off both my legs, or gouge out my eyeballs with a spoon, than progress any further with the DofE :smile:
Original post by sudent

If it is something you think would enjoy, or you want to challenge yourself, go for it! I was doing most of the sections anyway and they're quite flexible about what you can do for each section, so if you already do some sort of volunteering/physical activity/skill in your free time, it doesn't take up much extra time and basically gives you a sort of recognition/award for what you're already doing. If you don't currently do any of these things, then you need to think a bit more- If you want to learn a new skill, do a new physical activity and do some volunteering, go for it, otherwise, don't bother. I had a good experience of DofE, so would definitely recommend it! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by chloecrazy
No. Don't do it, DofE was the worst thing I've ever done in my life, and I did only do it so it would look good on my ucas etc. Unless you don't have too much work for 6th form, and you go out for hikes everyday, I definitely wouldn't do it. You've got to volunteer, do a skill and a physical activity, one for 6 months the other 2 for 3 months. That's not too bad, but it could be if you're doing harder a levels.

All I'm saying is, I'd rather cut off both my legs, or gouge out my eyeballs with a spoon, than progress any further with the DofE :smile:

So im guessing the ucas isnt worth the headache..
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Do it if you enjoy it. But not for the sake of filling in some space on your personal statement.

Well thats my idea bc i dont do sports/music or anything much extracurricular (only volunteering)
Reply 11
Original post by sudent
Well thats my idea bc i dont do sports/music or anything much extracurricular (only volunteering)

You don't need any extra-curriculars.

Which university course are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
You don't need any extra-curriculars.

Which university course are you thinking of applying for?

Dentistry, so I pretty much need any points I can get *sigh*
Reply 13
Original post by sudent

You would do better asking about ECs in the Dentistry forum. But I guarantee that DoE will not be the top of the list.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194
Original post by sudent
So im guessing the ucas isnt worth the headache..

Aha no, I definitely don't think so, unless you think you'd enjoy it (which you'd have to be mad to think that) I wouldn't bother. Something like EPQ into a subject around dentistry would be much more beneficial if you're not already doing that
Reply 15
Do it if you really want to but as a LOT of people do dofe it sometimes just seems repetitive and not very different!
I'd say do it. If you want, that is the thing...
It does take a lot of work and there will be some weeks where you will have to go on your expeditions and are expected to catch up on work too,

Personally I did Silver in Year 11 and Gold last July and September when AS exams had been done, so I might not be sure how it will fully affect you.
Original post by sudent

DofE and most extra curriculars are of zero use for dentistry.

Finding something you enjoy doing that demonstrates manual dexterity is useful but other than that your focus should be on relevant work experience, shadowing and visiting dentists.

Something like https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/discover-dentistry and keeping track of http://www.dentistry.co.uk/undergraduate-dental-news/ wouldn't hurt either.
Reply 18

Thanks so much!! x and yh I was a bit skeptical abt DofE as well.
Original post by sudent
Thanks so much!! x and yh I was a bit skeptical abt DofE as well.

https://bdaconnect.bda.org/blog/student-blog/ is another one to keep an eye on

Quick Reply

Latest