Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is he considered the greatest writer ever in English language?
    I do not understand his English?
    Anyone else?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Many literary writers are called the greatest in their time so naturally Shakespeare was seen as a literary genius during his time and is appreciated nowadays as it helped the development of the modern English language, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Upppppppp

ReputationRep:
    I think its based on the content of his plays and sonnets and his contribution to the development of the English language.

Im not ognna pretend I know a lot about Shakespeare but anyone that reads his work will say that Hamlet, Macbeth, Twelfth night, Much ado about nothing... and about 15 others are masterpieces because of their intracate plots, orginality, etc etc.

Before shakespeare classical theatre, i think was Greek formed, and it was either a tragedy or a comedy. Shakespeare broke this and created the stories we have today where you can have a joke even in a sad situation. its stuff like that. He always had a lot of interesting themes and could combine them seamlessly.

As far as language goes, he really developed the English language and made it more respectable at a time when latin was the respectable langauge. He invented hundreds of words which we use today every day (look them up) and managed to use the English language in such clever poetic ways. Look up the 50 most famous Shakespeare quotes and theyre pretty stunning. Also look up everyday expressions we use today that shakepseare created and youll see, there are a lot.

Btw I know everyone struggles to read his stuff sometimes.. but it could have been a lot worse. He actually modernised the english language replacing a lot of the "doth"s etc, the only one he only really kept was "Thou".

Compare him to some of his contemporaries or people around the time like Dekker, Jonson, Marlowe and he wrote a lot, of a great quality, set his plays in many different far away lands etc.

so yeah, he could command the english language like no other really and made it and its usage what it is today so thats what separates him from the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I hate this Guy!!

ReputationRep:
    I love Shakespeare. It's not just abut his writing but how they were performed on stage, how anyone could go and watch his plays regardless of their social standing or financial means. His work is still influential today, so many popular sayings were actually first coined in his plays.

It's never easy to read Shakespeare's work when you first start but keep at it and you'll soon begin to understand more, it'll flow easier and make a lot more sense. You can buy copies of his plays with modern day English translations for some of the more difficult words, I know Collins Classics do, and watching TV or film adaptations will definitely help you understand what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    cos he invented a bunch of words

ReputationRep:
    Heyy Shakespeare has used archaic language which does not longer exist ..He us one of the greatest writers due to his connection with the theatre company from 1587 to 1611. While being an actor Shakespeare was even an important shareholder. He has even written sonnets and lengthy narrative poems. He uses old English as at that time the Elizabethan era was on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.