Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay i think i have chosen the wrong a levels. When i left highschool i didnt know what i wanted to do.I initially wanted to do a level Economics but it was full so i had to something else so i chose bio, I am currently doing a level bio and i hate it , i really dont want to do it anymore.. I now know i want to do a law in at uni and i need to get an A in bio can you give me some revisions tips or is there a way i can drop bio and do economics a level at a different college?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your first year or second year of sixth form? it may be possible to change your subject if you are still in your first year but it will probably be very difficult and if you were to then join an economics class you would probably find it very hard to catch up and feel behind everyone else. I think you stick with biology for AS at least, you might have the option to drop it at the end of the year and pick up economics instead (i know the system changed slightly this year so I'm not sure about that). I'm in my second year of A level biology at the moment and i find it very boring but it is a lot of just remembering facts and recalling knowledge so if you revise and work hard it's not that impossible to get an A. My advise would be to stick to the decision you made, the course does get slightly better in my opinion, and just put effort into getting that A so you can study what you actually want to study at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tacita Ross)
    Are you in your first year or second year of sixth form? it may be possible to change your subject if you are still in your first year but it will probably be very difficult and if you were to then join an economics class you would probably find it very hard to catch up and feel behind everyone else. I think you stick with biology for AS at least, you might have the option to drop it at the end of the year and pick up economics instead (i know the system changed slightly this year so I'm not sure about that). I'm in my second year of A level biology at the moment and i find it very boring but it is a lot of just remembering facts and recalling knowledge so if you revise and work hard it's not that impossible to get an A. My advise would be to stick to the decision you made, the course does get slightly better in my opinion, and just put effort into getting that A so you can study what you actually want to study at uni.
    Thanks for the reply, im in first year could you give me good revision tips i feel like i revise a lot for bio and it just doesnt stick with me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mda2)
    Thanks for the reply, im in first year could you give me good revision tips i feel like i revise a lot for bio and it just doesnt stick with me..
    I usually just go through the text book, answer the questions in it and make flash cards. flash cards or making/ answering questions works well because you just have to memorise the knowledge so you could make flash cards now and just go over them anytime you have a spare minute.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do biology but for my French course I use flash cards, I also time myself and if I don't remember the answer after a minute then I focus on that topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YouTube is one of the best learning tools of our generation, if you don't understand a topic or concept type it into YouTube! Khan Academy, CrashCourse (these two are aimed at American high school/ first year college students so can go a little off topic/ to far for AS level) and MrBioTom1 I found were really great for biology - especially the last one, he summarises each topic super concisely and is pretty good at explaining things!

Past paper questions are your best friends: I found this website really helpful, as it has questions categorised by topic! (you don't need to sign up for the questions and answers!)

I know it sounds hard but try and do something everyday, even if it's just one question, reading a news article about genetic engineering or conservation etc. (will also help you stay interested by knowing what you learn in class is relevant to the real world), reviewing your notes from that day or making a flash card - the only way to strengthen your long term memory is to practice everyday!

Treat your mocks and in-class topic tests just the same as you would the real exam - revise hard and respond to the feedback given!

(Also, if you are still interested in A Level Economics there is no harm in doing a little bit of studying your self. Don't go crazy, after all you still have three A levels to complete, but Khan Academy and CrashCourse both have Economics playlists and reading a book or two could help when writing your personal statement!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.