Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between GCSE and A-Level Physics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading my younger siblings GCSE Physics books, P1, P2 and P3 seem practically the same as what I'm learning now at A-Level. What's the difference? Am I blind?

ReputationRep:
    Should be getting a bit less descriptive and a bit more mathematical - you do cover some of the same ground again... and you will do so yet again in a degree if you take it that far... but then you'll really be doing it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    I've been reading my younger siblings GCSE Physics books, P1, P2 and P3 seem practically the same as what I'm learning now at A-Level. What's the difference? Am I blind?
    At the end of GCSE's I was excited to start A level Physics because I thought it would have loads more maths...
    Then I realised it's still pretty much an essay subject
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    At the end of GCSE's I was excited to start A level Physics because I thought it would have loads more maths...
    Then I realised it's still pretty much an essay subject
    Really? I'm excited for A-Level Physics next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    I was just like you last year excited to start A levels but now they are just are dreadful nightmare. Physics is a very hard subject you better be prepared to revise hard or fail miserably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I was just like you last year excited to start A levels but now they are just are dreadful nightmare. Physics is a very hard subject you better be prepared to revise hard or fail miserably.

oh wow is it really that hard?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    Ohh. What other A-Levels are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Don't get me wrong physics is still very interesting at A level, but Physics at A level is so non-mathsy that it starts to get rather boring (in my opinion) since Physics is pretty much just applied maths...
    On the other hand, I can understand why they had to limit the amount of maths in the A level syllabus, as I guess they can't assume people taking Physics are also taking maths at A level and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Don't get me wrong physics is still very interesting at A level, but Physics at A level is so non-mathsy that it starts to get rather boring (in my opinion) since Physics is pretty much just applied maths...
    On the other hand, I can understand why they had to limit the amount of maths in the A level syllabus, as I guess they can't assume people taking Physics are also taking maths at A level and stuff
    If you want to get more mathsy, do M1, it is quite difficult in comparison to Mechanics in Physics.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Yeah. The new specification is out on my turn so I hope it does have more maths in it as typically that's what students expect too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Yeah. The new specification is out on my turn so I hope it does have more maths in it as typically that's what students expect too.
    I'm actually doing the new spec
    So far I haven't noticed too much of a difference with the amount of maths, but then again, according to the spec, 40% of our exams are supposed to have some maths involved, so hopefully they don't disappoint .

On a side note, practicals are a complete pain, and having a 2hr 30mins paper on them doesnt help lol
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    I'm actually doing the new spec
    So far I haven't noticed too much of a difference with the amount of maths, but then again, according to the spec, 40% of our exams are supposed to have some maths involved, so hopefully they don't disappoint .

On a side note, practicals are a complete pain, and having a 2hr 30mins paper on them doesnt help lol
    Ohh I never knew that you were doing the new one! Thats good to hear that there is a decent amount of maths.
    2h 30m?! That's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I loved physics in GCSE so taking it on to Alevel. I didn't do so well in my AS physics but it is interesting just the questions are more hard to understand but the content isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twentyone_exams)
    oh wow is it really that hard?
    No, easiest subject by far for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Ohh I never knew that you were doing the new one! Thats good to hear that there is a decent amount of maths.
    2h 30m?! That's crazy!
    Ikr, but then again STEP is 3 hours, so it's not the worst of the lot
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Ikr, but then again STEP is 3 hours, so it's not the worst of the lot
    Damn, are you going to be taking STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Damn, are you going to be taking STEP?
    Yeah, I'll definitely take STEP I as it's part of the offer for Warwick, and I'll probably end up taking II and III too.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Yeah, I'll definitely take STEP I as it's part of the offer for Warwick, and I'll probably end up taking II and III too.
    Nice. Where else have you applied to and where are you planning on going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Nice. Where else have you applied to and where are you planning on going to?
    Other places I applied to were Imperial, Bath, Cambridge and Nottingham. Assuming a rejection from Cambridge so Warwick is the top of the list at the moment
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Other places I applied to were Imperial, Bath, Cambridge and Nottingham. Assuming a rejection from Cambridge so Warwick is the top of the list at the moment
    Nice! Don't think like that, you do have a chance for Cambridge. What would you insure if Warwick were your firm?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.