Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To what extend should the UK Government prioritise GDP growth?

What types of things could I write about? This question is 10 marks and I have no clue how to answer it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    To what extend should the UK Government prioritise GDP growth?

What types of things could I write about? This question is 10 marks and I have no clue how to answer it!
    Firstly, it's "extent", not "extend.

Perhaps define the different metrics - i.e. GDP, inflation, wages, unemployment, then say why they are important and how prioritising GDP growth may (or may not) impact (negatively or positively) these other metrics. Then argue whether this negative impact (if one exists) is justified, and how this may manifest itself in the context of what the question is asking.

ReputationRep:
    Well, personally I'd define GDP, and state what the government currently does e.g reducing unemployment, closing the poverty gap, increasing wages. Then I'd say with the use of fiscal stimulus it can boost GDP and potentially fulfill its other targets like reducing unemployment and poverty at the same time. Then I'd argue inflation under government control proved inefficient and handing it to the monetary experts - the banks, helped give consistent inflation (maybe this model could work with GDP? Letting the free market create output through natural economic activity) . Arguably by boosting GDP they'd have to invest in the private sector creating an opportunity cost for services from the public sector. And the only way a government can boost GDP is by supply side policy or fiscal stimulus which will interfere with its current main aim of eliminating the budget deficit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.