Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I dated this boy about 2 years ago when I was in year 9. He was the typical bad guy, didn't care about school and was in the wrong crowd. I was the typical good and nice girl aiming for As and A*s We lasted about 6 months but then broke off because jealous girls and nasty people were getting in the way.

Since then we went our separate ways and all was peaceful... until last summer. He decided to tell all of his friends that we had sex despite the fact that we'd never ever done anything like that. Since it was in the summer and I didnt find out about that until October, I let it go.

Today however, a girl came up to me and asked if I had sex with him. He had this conversation with this girl only yesterday and so he is adamant on sticking to this lie, even now!

This is where I'm stuck. Im the type of person who struggles to let people say lies about me. I dont want to let him walk all over me and spread all of these lies! Despite my urges, Ive kept quiet and not said anything. Now the urge to make a perfectly snide comment about him lying about having sex is overwhelming but I'm scared to say anything in case it provokes him to spread more lies and rumours.

What shall I do?
    Stay quiet or say something to him (and only in front of him), just so I can have that one up against him.

Put yourself in my shoes.

Thanks xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing A levels? If so, you can look forward to going off to university and leaving people like them behind. Remember these people only want to talk about others because their lives are so incredibly dull. Also says a lot about the fact that this guy has to make up having sex, because he's probably got such an ugly personality, he can't get a girl any other way.

Edit: sorry, misread about the year 9 thing. I think all you can do is hope that they get a grip, and if it gets to the point of harassment, absolutely talk to a member of staff
    • Political Ambassador

I'm having the exact same problem, some guy has been spreading this rumor since summer and it's sad that people actually believe him, but I don't want to say anything to him because I know it will be like talking to a wall.

There's no point in trying to explain something to someone who lies about having sex. It's pathetic and he's the one making a fool of himself. When someone asks you about this, just tell them it's a stupid lie.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a somewhat similar experience, with an old friend. I never openly made it clear because I knew the truth and if people asked I would give them the truth. Quite frankly it is so pathetic late teenagers turning adults maintain that mentality.

If people ask just tell them the truth, because you know exactly what happened. I did this and everything more or less died out, I just hate how immature these situations make people.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell people the truth brah. They'll believe you and his **** will sag badly after that

ReputationRep:
    Say you were about to have sex but saw that he had a tiny **** and rejected him. Say the only reason hes saying he had sex is because hes deeply insecure about it and wants to hide as much as he can. That will work, he'll then say you two never did anything.

ReputationRep:
    By being upset and bothered by it you are feeding them and they enjoy spreading the rumours more. Your name is out there whether you like it or not, there's not much you can do about it. As long as your close friends know and believe the truth(If they don't then they are not your real friends). Why don't you surprise them by saying "yeah we did it"? It's really not going to change anything since they already believe that. It will just make the subject much less interesting as all they like to see is the drama and you being upset. If you say you did, there's no more drama. The trick is your response. JUST DON'T BE UPSET ABOUT IT. It makes it worse. At the end of the day what does it matter what people think. It does hurt, to see him "win" by making people believe him. But then on the other hand, did he truly win? Did he get sex from you? No! Then who's the winner now? Just don't be upset hun, it's really only hurting you! If they are so interested in who had sex with who then their lives must be pretty boring and miserable. When you get older you're gonna look back at this, still hate them a little bit inside, but at the same time realise how NOT worthy it was for you to be upset.

PS. Don't try anything like a comeback, because you're just falling to their level. My friend once told me "don't argue with the stupid, because they've been stupid they're entire life, they've got more experience in being stupid than you, and you're going to lose"

ReputationRep:
    I was a victim of so many rumors, not similar rumors but equally worse. I found the most efficient technique to be ignoring. Those people, you will never see for the rest of their life, just make sure your friends know the truth and let him know you are not happy about his actions, thats it. Rumors spread to see reaction of the victim. If there is no reaction, it will die off quick. Worse case, just go tell the teachers. And now you would think i dont understand this whole "snitching" thing and consequences in society if you do so, trust me, it shuts them up, works amazingly well and people you love will stay with u.. by year 11 most will mature up and the people who you never thought would become friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I always used to tell myself that rumours are just rumours until you address them - then they become a problem. They are just an assumption made by other people and it will torture them more not knowing whether the rumour is true or not.
    I think I may just maybe, possibly say something to him if I ever find him alone, but that's pretty unlikely. But for now, this rumour is none of my business I guess. It has nothing to do with me since it's only a lie and a rumour which is far from the truth.

Ive kinda calmed down since earlier and can see past the anger now ahhaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by emma_louise1)
    Thanks everyone. I always used to tell myself that rumours are just rumours until you address them - then they become a problem. They are just an assumption made by other people and it will torture them more not knowing whether the rumour is true or not.
    I think I may just maybe, possibly say something to him if I ever find him alone, but that's pretty unlikely. But for now, this rumour is none of my business I guess. It has nothing to do with me since it's only a lie and a rumour which is far from the truth.

Ive kinda calmed down since earlier and can see past the anger now ahhaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.