Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for BSc Psychology at Aston and got an offer.
    Was considering as my main option for uni, but I've been discouraged by teachers who said that previous students of theirs who went there to do Psych said it was boring, especially the first year. (I know some of the stuff will be boring, as I looked at the modules and done most for A level Psych)
    I've read reviews that really praise it and now I'm conflicted.
    Can anyone give an honest opinion on the course?

ReputationRep:
    Follow your heart ! Nothing is boring if you are passionate about that thing. I think psychology is very interesting subject. I have not been psychology student but my friends have been and they told me every time its great course. But i want you dont follow me or any other person just follow your hear!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RonnieO)
    I've applied for BSc Psychology at Aston and got an offer.
    Was considering as my main option for uni, but I've been discouraged by teachers who said that previous students of theirs who went there to do Psych said it was boring, especially the first year. (I know some of the stuff will be boring, as I looked at the modules and done most for A level Psych)
    I've read reviews that really praise it and now I'm conflicted.
    Can anyone give an honest opinion on the course?
    Hi,

I might be a bit bias as i now work for the university, but i graduated from a joint honours Degree in Psychology and Sociology in 2014. I'm sure it has changed a little since then. However i'm more than happy to take any questions.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi,

I might be a bit bias as i now work for the university, but i graduated from a joint honours Degree in Psychology and Sociology in 2014. I'm sure it has changed a little since then. However i'm more than happy to take any questions.

Josh
    Hi!
    Would you say that the psychology lectures were interesting? Like I said, my teachers said that apparently they're not from what they've heard from past students, but I don't know how recent those opinions are. I know it's been a while since you graduated, but did you enjoy your psych part of the degree?

Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RonnieO)
    Hi!
    Would you say that the psychology lectures were interesting? Like I said, my teachers said that apparently they're not from what they've heard from past students, but I don't know how recent those opinions are. I know it's been a while since you graduated, but did you enjoy your psych part of the degree?

Thanks!
    I absolutely loved the Psychology side of my degree. With any degree the first year can get off to a slow start as everyone needs to be bought up to the same level, you will feel a sense of repetition whichever university you choose. Otherwise students who studied on another exam board, country or haven't touched on the subject before would struggle.

If you're coming directly from Psychology A Levels, this grace period will also be immensly useful to get used to academic writing. The step up from A Levels to University is similar to the step up from GCSE to A Level.

My first year had some very interesting topics in relation to memory, developmental psychology and social psychology.

The great thing about the course is it opens up in years two and three with the module selection. I had a passion for neuropsychology and the structure of the brain an made sure to take as many related modules as possible.

In addition to that the course has an inbuilt placement year, so you can go out and get hands on experience, friends of mine worked those with substance abuse cases, those with learning difficulties and the elderly.

Alternatively, if you don't want to work in a field directly related to Psychology it's a good opportunity to try an alternative career, i went into marketing a marketing role and found i had a real passion for it. Now i work with email integration services, the universities app, website and video output on a daily basis.

Hope that helps.

Any questions just give me a shout.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to Aston but I would say that every Psych course tends to start with basics and introductory modules as usually psychology A level isn't a requirement so they need to bring everyone up to the same page. So the first year is generally not as interesting as there will be a lot of repetition, a lot of it is getting you ready for the academic requirements of uni (which are different to A levels) in terms of essays etc. Once you get into 2nd and 3rd year you get a lot more choice in what you study and go into more depth.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the same course at Aston, Psychology courses are generally similar everywhere due it needing to be BPS accredited. I'm looking for a good honest review also aha

-Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently studying Psychology at Aston. I chose Aston as my firm choice from the start because they offered a 4 year course that included a placement year which is really invaluable for future careers within this particular subject field. I have completed my first and second year and am on a clinical psychology placement at the moment until June.

I don't know many people who have described the first term of first year as being "really interesting" if they have studied Psychology either at GCSE or A Level. That's the same for students at most universities. Like others have said, the first term has to start from the very basics, like pros and cons of different research methods and the different approaches/perspectives, due to the fact that you can study for the degree without studying Psychology beforehand (I had studied Psych for 4 years before starting the degree!). However the second term was definitely more interesting with modules like practicals and abnormal psychology.

I have found the modules that I have studied to be very interesting so far and they also cover a wide breadth of areas within Psychology which is useful. Cognitive neuropsychology in second year was pretty tough though! There are also many interesting modules to choose from to study in final year which I'm looking forward to selecting in the coming months.

One thing that I would say about studying Psychology at Aston is that there is a certain requirement for you to be independent in terms of your own studying and when researching topic areas. Most Psychology courses are the same elsewhere, but there does seem to be a particular emphasis on independence at Aston. Due to the nature of the subject, you can be taught theories however you need to go away and do your own reading around those theories. Each 10 credit module amounts to around 100 hours of studying (each year is made up of 120 credits). On most of the module specifications, it states that 10 hours out of 100 hours are spent in lectures. The other 90 hours are spent doing independent work. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but that's the reality of the degree!

You always have the option of contacting lecturers via email or booking appointments online to meet with them for 15 minutes or so if you need clarification on things that you are unsure of from the lectures.

I am thoroughly enjoying my degree. Aston was definitely the right university for me and offered the right course for me. Most of my friends who are studying Psych elsewhere wish that they had the opportunity to have a placement year. I know some other unis also offer placement years. It has given me a lot of insight into what I would like to do in the future. I wouldn't have been ready to go straight into final year and straight into applications for post-grad/masters courses at the end of second year. I'm definitely feeling more prepared now!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megan>)
    Hi,

I'm currently studying Psychology at Aston. I chose Aston as my firm choice from the start because they offered a 4 year course that included a placement year which is really invaluable for future careers within this particular subject field. I have completed my first and second year and am on a clinical psychology placement at the moment until June.

I don't know many people who have described the first term of first year as being "really interesting" if they have studied Psychology either at GCSE or A Level. That's the same for students at most universities. Like others have said, the first term has to start from the very basics, like pros and cons of different research methods and the different approaches/perspectives, due to the fact that you can study for the degree without studying Psychology beforehand (I had studied Psych for 4 years before starting the degree!). However the second term was definitely more interesting with modules like practicals and abnormal psychology.

I have found the modules that I have studied to be very interesting so far and they also cover a wide breadth of areas within Psychology which is useful. Cognitive neuropsychology in second year was pretty tough though! There are also many interesting modules to choose from to study in final year which I'm looking forward to selecting in the coming months.

One thing that I would say about studying Psychology at Aston is that there is a certain requirement for you to be independent in terms of your own studying and when researching topic areas. Most Psychology courses are the same elsewhere, but there does seem to be a particular emphasis on independence at Aston. Due to the nature of the subject, you can be taught theories however you need to go away and do your own reading around those theories. Each 10 credit module amounts to around 100 hours of studying (each year is made up of 120 credits). On most of the module specifications, it states that 10 hours out of 100 hours are spent in lectures. The other 90 hours are spent doing independent work. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but that's the reality of the degree!

You always have the option of contacting lecturers via email or booking appointments online to meet with them for 15 minutes or so if you need clarification on things that you are unsure of from the lectures.

I am thoroughly enjoying my degree. Aston was definitely the right university for me and offered the right course for me. Most of my friends who are studying Psych elsewhere wish that they had the opportunity to have a placement year. I know some other unis also offer placement years. It has given me a lot of insight into what I would like to do in the future. I wouldn't have been ready to go straight into final year and straight into applications for post-grad/masters courses at the end of second year. I'm definitely feeling more prepared now!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Hi, I am also indecisive when it comes to making the decision on which Uni i'd like to firm to study Psychology, as for me it is between Leciester or Aston, and I dont want it to be the case that I firm Aston and end up wishing I went to Leicester as it is higher on the league tables.
    Aston is offering BBB if I make it my firm, whereas Leciester is ABB
    (another reason why im decisive)
    Also, I applied to the 3 year course, am I able to still gain placement or it is only if i applied to the 4 year course

Does Aston have a good reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Yes Aston has a very good reputation and again offers the best placement years compared to any other university. Leicester and Aston have similar reputations but I think Aston just beats it as it has a very high graduate prospect of 82%. Also, Aston is in the City Centre of Birmingham and there are lots of things to do compared to Leicester which is not that big.

(Original post by Jokonkwo)
    Hi, I am also indecisive when it comes to making the decision on which Uni i'd like to firm to study Psychology, as for me it is between Leciester or Aston, and I dont want it to be the case that I firm Aston and end up wishing I went to Leicester as it is higher on the league tables.
    Aston is offering BBB if I make it my firm, whereas Leciester is ABB
    (another reason why im decisive)
    Also, I applied to the 3 year course, am I able to still gain placement or it is only if i applied to the 4 year course

Does Aston have a good reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Does Leicester or UEA have a better reputation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdearohdear)
    Does Leicester or UEA have a better reputation?
    UEA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.