Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    viking-british?! scandinavian ancestor or relatives?
    hehe. I'm allowed to! The Welsh and Cornish don't shut up about their Celtic origins (don't hurt me...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    hehe. I'm allowed to! The Welsh and Cornish don't shut up about their Celtic origins (don't hurt me...)
    oh, i'm certainly not saying that it's wrong!
    swedish myself

ReputationRep:
    These days you can't say anything to anyone without offending some leftie doogooder so I just say what I want, I thoroughly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    These days you can't say anything to anyone without offending some leftie doogooder so I just say what I want, I thoroughly recommend it.
    Too true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    that's true.

I once really shocked someone by saying i'd done something for 'crip-pride'.

Strange how so many terms can be acceptable within a group not not acceptable if someone outside the group uses the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    you could always ask someone what term they prefer.
    Would anyone ever ask a 'white' person what term tehy'd prefer?

The PC / equal opps woman at work says that "black" can be used to refer to anyone of african/asian/oriental origin. She also says to ask. No-one has ever asked me what I prefer to be referred to as!
    She also says that certain words and terms should be avoided...
    "nitty-gritty"
    "black spot"
    "coloured"...

There are loads, but I think it's a bit stupid. I've never used these terms with mal-intent - how are we supposed to know what might/might not be offensive??

Apparently ‘negro’ is bad but ‘caucasian’ is acceptable – even though they are parallel terms. I’ll drop ‘negro’ when ‘caucasian’ is also dropped.

(Original post by Amb1)
    Would anyone ever ask a 'white' person what term tehy'd prefer?

The PC / equal opps woman at work says that "black" can be used to refer to anyone of african/asian/oriental origin. She also says to ask. No-one has ever asked me what I prefer to be referred to as!
    She also says that certain words and terms should be avoided...
    "nitty-gritty"
    "black spot"
    "coloured"...

There are loads, but I think it's a bit stupid. I've never used these terms with mal-intent - how are we supposed to know what might/might not be offensive??
    Yes, apparently even half-cast is not PC anymore. But I don’t give a damn – that’s the term I use to describe half-casts and no little PC **** is going to stop me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    african american, coloured etc. where i got the answer african american.
    Doesn't everyone say White American too?

ReputationRep:
    you lot should read conrad's heart of darkness.

(Original post by happysunshine)
    Doesn't everyone say White American too?
    The default definition of American is white, just as the default definition of Englishman is white.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Biggles)
    the default definition of Englishman is white.
    I thought it would have been "male"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherbert)
    you lot should read conrad's heart of darkness.
    What, to see incredible prejudice against not only the native Africans but also against women masquerading as some sort of social commentary? That said, the novel itself is fantastic if you ignore its somewhat dubious morals.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, apparently even half-cast is not PC anymore. But I don’t give a damn – that’s the term I use to describe half-casts and no little PC **** is going to stop me.
    :rolleyes: You mean half CASTE, this is offensive as it refers to the horrendous caste system. This is a social class system in which people are separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank, profession or wealth.

(Original post by Dajo123)
    :rolleyes: You mean half CASTE, this is offensive as it refers to the horrendous caste system. This is a social class system in which people are separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank, profession or wealth.
    I always thought that it was half-cast as in the weather...

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that it was half-cast as in the weather...
    well in dat case
    england weather
    nearly always half-caste
    in fact some o dem cloud
    half-caste till dem overcast
    so spiteful dem dont want de sun pass
    ah rass/

John Agard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    well in dat case
    england weather
    nearly always half-caste
    in fact some o dem cloud
    half-caste till dem overcast
    so spiteful dem dont want de sun pass
    ah rass/

John Agard
    Hehe John Agard is class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Hehe John Agard is class
    He is indeed! Did you go to a poetry day for English GCSE?

I did, and Agard was amazing! Much better than the butch GI by the name of Carol Ann Duffy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    He is indeed! Did you go to a poetry day for English GCSE?

I did, and Agard was amazing! Much better than the butch GI by the name of Carol Ann Duffy.
    Yeah he was amazing! The best poet there by far and he got a great reaction off everybody! Most of the other poets were a great disappointment and really boring like Carol Ann Duffy! Anyway Agard was class and even did an encore when another poet didn't turn up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Yeah he was amazing! The best poet there by far and he got a great reaction off everybody! Most of the other poets were a great disappointment and really boring like Carol Ann Duffy! Anyway Agard was class
    Definitely, I was half asleep throughout a lot of it - some of them were so dry!
    John Cooper Clarke was good too though.

Did you go to Leicester for it, in a massive hall completely packed with about 5000 people?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.