Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Definitely, I was half asleep throughout a lot of it - some of them were so dry!
    John Cooper Clarke was good too though.

Did you go to Leicester for it, in a massive hall completely packed with about 5000 people?
    We went to Derby and it was totally packed too with other GCSE students.

I really wanted to see John Cooper Clarke too as he seemed pretty interesting and our teacher told us he was a good "performer" but he couldn't make it cos when we went there was like a massive snow storm, so that was a bit annoying. But that was when Agard did his encore, which was good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    We went to Derby and it was totally packed too with other GCSE students.

I really wanted to see John Cooper Clarke too as he seemed pretty interesting and our teacher told us he was a good "performer" but he couldn't make it cos when we went there was like a massive snow storm, so that was a bit annoying. But that was when Agard did his encore, which was good
    Nice. JCC is completely hilarious! He just looked drugged up, but was at least enthusiastic about the whole thing! Ah, that trip was quite fun come to think of it - it's not fair in the sixth form, I hardly go on any trips!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Nice. JCC is completely hilarious! He just looked drugged up, but was at least enthusiastic about the whole thing! Ah, that trip was quite fun come to think of it - it's not fair in the sixth form, I hardly go on any trips!
    Awww at least you have something to reminisce about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    What, to see incredible prejudice against not only the native Africans but also against women masquerading as some sort of social commentary? That said, the novel itself is fantastic if you ignore its somewhat dubious morals.
    the novel is incredibly racist, conrad was writing in incredibly racist times.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being racist. Anyone who says they arent is lying throught their teeth. Stop being whiny babies who feel they have to be PC to people when in fact you know you lie about a lot of things, not just being racist. Blacks are way more racist than whites, but its only "wrong" for whites to be racist, its ok for non-whites to be racist. This is the state of the union today and one day when you get out into the REAL world, you will most definately see things arent like you think you see them now.

In other words grow up, think for yourself and stop letting jewish propaganda influence you and how you think.

ReputationRep:
    In the Russian language it is not polite to use the term 'black' - чёрный. But the term Negro - негр, is accepted by everyone. Coloured would never be used at all! It is something that you call paper, not a person!
    In English it's all a bit different, so I guess the default term varies between countries.
    Personally, I would say 'black'. I also do not think that one is being racist when s/he personally does not intend the term they use to be taken with offense!
    Imagine a kid likes pigs as animals. So he tells his mum that she looks like a pig. He is not attatching any negative images to the word, in fact, to him, it is a compliment, but his mother would probably get upset. It's a two-way thing, really, so I agree with those who say that you should ask the person what their preferences are.
    Having said that, they might find the fact that you ask them a little weird, and possibly a little patronising. Therefore, I would be more likely to say 'black', without meaning anything negative at all behind that term.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just use the term "Blick"?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    me and some classmates once asked my english teaher for an oral what would be the correct term between black people, african american, coloured etc. where i got the answer african american. at first we thought that this sounded weird because if you call someone african american you don't see them as american, cause there is african before. isn't that more discriminating? on the other hand the terms black and white seems too offensive, but what are you going to use then? what terms are you supposed to use for different races without sounding discriminating?

The only time you would actually have to refer to a persons skin color is when that is the relevant theme of the conversation. When you do so, I doubt anyone will be offended. What offends people is when you put irrelevant significance to the color of their skin when it is in fact not important to the topic at hand. Try avoiding the terms which have been most ascociated with racistical and nazi ideologies though ( e.g. Negro, Colored etc ... ). I dont think its offensive to say that a person is black, or that he "has dark skin" if you are trying to describe his appearance. However, if you ask someone what a person is like and they answer "He is afro-american" I would suspect some racism could be involved. The general point is that you should treat people like people and not colors.

ReputationRep:
    Why are Native-Americans called Native-Americans? Since they were the original 'owners' of that country should they not be called just 'American'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    Why are Native-Americans called Native-Americans? Since they were the original 'owners' of that country should they not be called just 'American'?
    Or you could use their original names e.g. Cherokee etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    Why do we call this lump of land mass England during times when we weren't even called England back then? Such as in the times before and during Roman invasions when we were a great Celtic nation with druidry as the prevalent religion? There was no England, but small kingdoms like Iceni etc.

ReputationRep:
    I hate all these long, complicated words. It stands out a mile away that the person using them is trying to avoid the 'racist' label. To me, it proves that skin colour differences are always on their mind. Really, people shouldn't even think about it. Black, white, brown or purple, we're all people and that's all that matters. We should get rid of the labeling and stop monitoring people by their ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    I hate all these long, complicated words. It stands out a mile away that the person using them is trying to avoid the 'racist' label.
    I think its more a way to avoid causing offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    I hate all these long, complicated words. It stands out a mile away that the person using them is trying to avoid the 'racist' label. To me, it proves that skin colour differences are always on their mind. Really, people shouldn't even think about it. Black, white, brown or purple, we're all people and that's all that matters. We should get rid of the labeling and stop monitoring people by their ethnicity.
    It's human nature to label each other in such a manner, ethnicity is not alone in this respect. I would describe myself as 'colourblind', but it's just not 100% practical in today's world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Would anyone ever ask a 'white' person what term tehy'd prefer?

The PC / equal opps woman at work says that "black" can be used to refer to anyone of african/asian/oriental origin. She also says to ask. No-one has ever asked me what I prefer to be referred to as!
    She also says that certain words and terms should be avoided...
    "nitty-gritty"
    "black spot"
    "coloured"...

There are loads, but I think it's a bit stupid. I've never used these terms with mal-intent - how are we supposed to know what might/might not be offensive??

yes people would, and do ask, what term is prefferd. You may not have been asked, but on the other hand have you ever been offended by the word used to describe your colour?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.