Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VW Up! Clutch and Biting point Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I recently passed my test first time in a Vauxhall Corsa Diesel and had absolutely no trouble with the clutch and stalling. I didn't even need to use the gas with the clutch (except slightly on a hill).

However, I have just brought a VW up! 1.0 2013 reg and just keep stalling (been driving it for two days now). I am finding it really hard to not stall in this car (especially uphill) and it is so frustrating. It's actually making me hate driving. For example, I was at a roundabout and couldn't move for about 3-5 minutes because I keep stalling.

I was therefore wondering if anyone who has drove this car, or in general, had any advice regarding this. I really want to be able to drive comfortably, safely and not scared I will stall and have half the town beeping at me! (So embarrassing).

(I do have P plates on just so other drivers on the road are aware).

Thank you in advance, really appreciate any advice!

ReputationRep:
    That's because you learned in a diesel engine, which typically has more power than a gasoline engine. You're going to have to learn clutch control from first principles and start making more liberal use of your handbrake so you can press the gas down while you're bringing the clutch up.

edit: This video may be of use to you

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest taking a parent or someone with you (or go alone it doesn't matter) and go at like 10pm to an empty car park and practice driving round and making sure you get the bite right.

It'll just be a case of finding the bite (You'll know when this is, you just feel it in the car, then start applying the gas)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyHard.)
    I recently passed my test first time in a Vauxhall Corsa Diesel and had absolutely no trouble [...]
    However, I have just brought a VW up! 1.0 2013 reg and just keep stalling (been driving it for two days now). I am finding it really hard to not stall in this car (especially uphill) and it is so frustrating.
    I have the same year model and engine size as you. It's not because you learned in a diesel that you're having problems- I put my Up! into the garage today and the clutch has gone. The car has only done 10,000 miles, 9000 of which were the previous owner's doing.

I learned to drive in a fiat Punto and the day I bought the Up! I thought that something was wrong, but being a new driver and all in my first car, I assumed I was being ignorant and that I'd get used to the feel of it.

It's not your imagination, without a doubt the biting point is higher up in this car, and the cheap plastic pedals make it even more difficult to "feel" the clutch when you're using it. If you rest your foot on them gently I find they sink without pressure to a point, then you'll feel you need to actually press the pedal to begin disengaging the clutch. Pretty spongy too. Very juttery and jittery starting off, and I'm the master of hill starts- they were my favourite thing to do in the test and when I was learning, but I certainly dont enjoy them in this car.

I knew something wasn't quite right from the offset, and I'm now hoping I don't have to shoulder the financial burden of the previous drivers rubbish driving skills (their fault for knackering the clutch in the first place) despite me supposedly being covered under warranty.

That all said, perhaps it's a common issue with these cars? Hows yours now?

peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazzyzebra)
    I have the same year model and engine size as you. It's not because you learned in a diesel that you're having problems- I put my Up! into the garage today and the clutch has gone. The car has only done 10,000 miles, 9000 of which were the previous owner's doing.

I learned to drive in a fiat Punto and the day I bought the Up! I thought that something was wrong, but being a new driver and all in my first car, I assumed I was being ignorant and that I'd get used to the feel of it.

It's not your imagination, without a doubt the biting point is higher up in this car, and the cheap plastic pedals make it even more difficult to "feel" the clutch when you're using it. If you rest your foot on them gently I find they sink without pressure to a point, then you'll feel you need to actually press the pedal to begin disengaging the clutch. Pretty spongy too. Very juttery and jittery starting off, and I'm the master of hill starts- they were my favourite thing to do in the test and when I was learning, but I certainly dont enjoy them in this car.

I knew something wasn't quite right from the offset, and I'm now hoping I don't have to shoulder the financial burden of the previous drivers rubbish driving skills (their fault for knackering the clutch in the first place) despite me supposedly being covered under warranty.

peace
    That sounds like the hydraulics rather than the clutch plate itself, do you know what the dealers are actually going to replace? Another thing to check with the clutch is to put the handbrake on, or hold the footbrake and let the clutch in - the engine should stall almost immediately any slippage would indicate the car is needing a new clutch sooner than later.

I've not driven the UP! but I have driven it's sister car the Citigo a few times as courtesy cars and I can see why people might have an issue after coming from a diesel as the engine is pretty torque-free and the clutch has quite a small biting point.

Great fun to drive though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope... today I got a call and they're taking out the gear box and the clutch is completely worn too... biting point was ridiculously high and slipping, its going to be expensive
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazzyzebra)

peace
    Please don't bump old threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Please don't bump old threads.
    If you're going to say that, at least quote the person who did the actual bump.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    If you're going to say that, at least quote the person who did the actual bump.
    Perhaps you should scroll up and look again before being so condescending, mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.