Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in Year 12 and i'm looking to go university after sixth form but i have no idea about the whole application process.
    Can anyone tell me about it or link me to any websites that explain it?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your school or college should explain it to you, but if in doubt, check out the UCAS website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Your school or college should explain it to you, but if in doubt, check out the UCAS website
    ok thanks my college hasnt said anything yet but i will check out the ucas website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyUnicorn)
    Hi I'm in Year 12 and i'm looking to go university after sixth form but i have no idea about the whole application process.
    Can anyone tell me about it or link me to any websites that explain it?
    Thanks
    I'm in year 13 and I sent my application off last month so if you have any question feel free to ask

I started off thinking about what course I wanted to do and then started to look around on different university websites to see which courses I liked the sound of/which ones suited what I wanted to do best and made a list of my top 7/8.
    Also I used the university league tables to make comparisons of courses:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings
    but league tables don't always define the performance of a university, its always good to talk to several students about it to get an idea of what lectures are like and the whole atmosphere of the uni.

Then around April/May time I started booking open days for the unis I liked the look of for June/July/September time which helped me to narrow done which ones I wanted to apply to in the end as you'll get a much more in depth view of what the course you want to study will be like and the sort of people you'll be surrounded with.

In about July my school gave out the buzzword and details needed to log into UCAS to make an undergraduate application account (you'll probably get this around the same time with a step by step guide of how to do it so I won't explain this to you, it'll probably be on the UCAS website anyway) and this was around the time I started to plan out what I wanted to write in my personal statement.

My school gave us all a guide of how to structure a personal statement and the sort of things to write in every paragraph so I'm sure you'll get a lot of support too but there are always guides online to help you with that.
    I worked on the first draft of my personal statement over the summer holidays so that I could start giving it to my subject teachers when I got back so that they could have a look at it and help me make any adjustments or tips to make improvements, in the end I think I had about 3/4 drafts before I'd finally finished it mid November.

Once I'd finished my statement I uploaded it to my UCAS account and filled in all the details required (this includes things like personal details, contact details GCSE grades, AS grades, current A levels you're doing) and sent my application off. When you press send you'll have to pay a fee of £12 if you apply to only one uni or £24 if you apply to 2-5, also your application doesn't get sent to UCAS once you press send but it'll be sent to your referee instead so this will either be your form tutor or head of 6th form (whoevers in charge of UCAS monitoring at your school). They will have to fill in their part of your application so they'll write you a reference and add on your predicted A level grades.
    I'm pretty sure your UCAS application can be sent off any time between late September and the second week of January, but its always good to get it sent off earlier than the January deadline as it'll mean universities will get your application sooner and therefore you may get some offers earlier.

My form tutor wrote my reference and let me read it to see if I wanted him to add anything on to it. When that was finished he sent it to the UCAS referee at my school (the head of 6th form) who reviewed it along with my application that I'd sent in to make sure all details were correct/ to see if there was anything I wanted to change. Luckily for me I didn't have anything I needed to change so she printed it out for me so I could read my final application with all of my details, personal statement and reference to make sure I was ready for it to be sent off.
    Once I'd read it through for the final time I told her everything was fine so that same afternoon she sent my application off for me.

Once its sent off UCAS will send you an e-mail when they've received and processed your application and then it'll be sent off to your universities' admissions teams who usually also email you to acknowledge that they have received your application.

Universities can give you offers any time from when you send your application off to the end of May, although you may get some offers shortly after you send your application off other universities may take longer (I sent my application off on the 12th of December and had two offers within 2 weeks but now I'm still waiting on three more offers) and it will always depend on how competitive the course you've applied to is. Also before you receive an offer, depending on your course, some universities will ask you to come to an interview before they make you an offer.

Once you've had decisions from all of your unis you'll be able to accept the university offer you want as your firm choice and another one will be your insurance choice for safety in case you don't meet the requirements of your firm choice once you get your a-level results. If you wanna know more about this I think this is a good website to look at:
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...versity-offers

Sorry this is so long, application writing can be a lengthy process but it'll all be worth it in the end

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, I hope this helps you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.