Turn on thread page Beta

Mandarin Chinese learners/speakers! watch

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to seriously take up learning Mandarin alongside my studies!

Anyone currently learning or currently able to speak it that fancies a chat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    I've decided to seriously take up learning Mandarin alongside my studies!

Anyone currently learning or currently able to speak it that fancies a chat?
    I am from Hong Kong and speak Mandarin at a good level, not sure if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ho2901)
    I am from Hong Kong and speak Mandarin at a good level, not sure if that helps?
    Hey, thanks for your reply!

Im still a beginner at the moment, though after my exams these next few weeks, I'll be stepping up my studies! :-)

I could maybe send you a message sometime when I have a bit of a grasp of the lingo? I fear I may annoy the hell out of you if youre proficient in both english and chinese! haha

ReputationRep:
    If you're serious about Mandarin you're going to have to enrol in a class and learn from a teacher. It's incredibly hard to self-teach. Even if you are learning by yourself, you'll need to immerse yourself in it. Start with buying a good dictionary which has pinyin and some textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    If you're serious about Mandarin you're going to have to enrol in a class and learn from a teacher. It's incredibly hard to self-teach. Even if you are learning by yourself, you'll need to immerse yourself in it. Start with buying a good dictionary which has pinyin and some textbooks.

Yes I know. I have taught myself a language before. I appreciate the advice, the condescension, not so much.
    Im 27, not a bloody child mate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.