Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BCam's Training Log Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR. I'm new here and returning to training after a year off. I have under eaten and lost all previously gained muscle and strength. I'm back to how I was when I started as a 15 year old, thin and weak.

I'm now 19 years old, 5'9'' and around 140lbs. I'm training full body 3 times a week focusing on progressive overload on compound movements, you know the score, basic stuff.

Diet isn't too strict, hitting around 3200 calories and roughly 160g protein, 400g carbs and 110g fats. Not that I'm too bothered about macros as long as I hit calories due to my tendency to under eat.

Today's training will be posted when I'm back from the gym later.

ReputationRep:
    Today's Training
    04/01/17

Very light session, hardly worth logging to be honest. Gym was closing early, didn't have much time at all so cut volume massively, missed out 2 compounds and all isolations, and didn't go nearly as heavy as planned either. Will train again properly tomorrow.

Bench Press
    20kg x 12
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Chest Supported Rows
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Deadlifts
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 8

ReputationRep:
    Today's Food
    04/01/17

Ergh, all I will say is... Kebab.

Was on track for 3205 kcal, 166g protein, 365g carbs and 113g fat if I stuck to the plan.

But I had a big greasy kebab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Hello TSR. I'm new here and returning to training after a year off. I have under eaten and lost all previously gained muscle and strength. I'm back to how I was when I started as a 15 year old, thin and weak.

I'm now 19 years old, 5'9'' and around 140lbs. I'm training full body 3 times a week focusing on progressive overload on compound movements, you know the score, basic stuff.

Diet isn't too strict, hitting around 3200 calories and roughly 160g protein, 400g carbs and 110g fats. Not that I'm too bothered about macros as long as I hit calories due to my tendency to under eat.

Today's training will be posted when I'm back from the gym later.
    Please share your secret, how can you undereat? My problem is the exact opposite lol.
    Do you always train alone or do you sometimes train with other people? I find it really helps to mix things up a bit every so often and go to classes, helps with the motivation :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    Please share your secret, how can you undereat? My problem is the exact opposite lol.
    Do you always train alone or do you sometimes train with other people? I find it really helps to mix things up a bit every so often and go to classes, helps with the motivation :'
    I get distracted and forget to eat. If I don't constantly remind myself to prepare the next meal I will not hit my calories for the day.
    I train with people sometimes, depends on the session. If it was like today where I'm using light weights then I can get away with chatting to mates etc but if I've got some hard sets to do then I prefer to just zone out with my music on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In, look forward to seeing sickening gains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    In, look forward to seeing sickening gains
    Cheers mate, looking forward to making some sickening gains haha. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back where I was, at least not as long as it originally took to get there!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Cheers mate, looking forward to making some sickening gains haha. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back where I was, at least not as long as it originally took to get there!
    How long had you been training before you stopped?

Muscle memory is the king here. Your muscles may have shrunk but the nuclei which divided have not decreased in number. So you still hve more nuclei than a non-lifter, therefore when they grow due to the stress applied you'll see much quicker progress than an untrained individual.

Also you technique should be better etc etc

ReputationRep:
    How long had you been training before you stopped?

Muscle memory is the king here. Your muscles may have shrunk but the nuclei which divided have not decreased in number. So you still hve more nuclei than a non-lifter, therefore when they grow due to the stress applied you'll see much quicker progress than an untrained individual.

Also you technique should be better etc etc
    Lifted for about 12 months, then haven't lifted properly for the past 12 months.

My technique is pretty solid on everything, except deadlifts which are *sometimes* a bit sloppy with some *possible* lower back rounding, but I am going a touch lighter and keeping it under control.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Lifted for about 12 months, then haven't lifted properly for the past 12 months.

My technique is pretty solid on everything, except deadlifts which are *sometimes* a bit sloppy with some *possible* lower back rounding, but I am going a touch lighter and keeping it under control.
    Same as me then! Although i've not been out all of the 8/9 months.

Chuck some videos up if you have any doubt, Angry Cucumber and the usual suspects will give you good advice re form

ReputationRep:
    Same as me then! Although i've not been out all of the 8/9 months.

Chuck some videos up if you have any doubt, Angry Cucumber and the usual suspects will give you good advice re form
    Yeah I will do if I start having any real issues.

ReputationRep:
    Today's Training
    05/01/17

Bench Press
    20kg x 20
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 4
    45kg x 8
    45kg x 8
    45kg x 8

Chest Supported Rows
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    60kg x 8

Dumbbell Overhead Press
    12.5kg x 8
    12.5kg x 8
    12.5kg x 8

Deadlifts
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 4
    70kg x 8
    70kg x 8

Leg Press
    80kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    120kg x 12

Dumbbell Curls (Superset with the Tricep Extensions)
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12

Overhead Tricep Extensions w/ Cable Rope
    "6" x 12
    "6" x 12
    "6" x 12

Notes
    Debating getting rid of rows and working on my pullup strength since I can't do 3x8 pullups yet.
    Really sick of struggling with lower back rounding on deadlifts. Going to replace them with rack pulls while I work on mobility for a proper deadlift.
    Dumbbell overhead press was originally seated but I prefer standing, debating just switching to military press to use more weight and probably be safer on the shoulders. If so I will do that first and bench third, I'd like to put more energy/effort into overhead strength.
    Not sure what weight the cable extensions are supposed to be, its the 6th plate down so I'll work with the number of the plate.

ReputationRep:
    Today's Diet
    04/01/17

Calories: 3208
    Protein: 146g
    Carbs: 330g
    Fats: 135g
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is causing the back rounding?

You're 5'9 so body proportions shouldn't be too bad...

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is causing the back rounding?

You're 5'9 so body proportions shouldn't be too bad...
    I think its a lack of hamstring mobility, I spend too much time sitting down at work so I wouldn't be surprised if my hamstrings are the issue.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I think its a lack of hamstring mobility, I spend too much time sitting down at work so I wouldn't be surprised if my hamstrings are the issue.
    So you start the lift with hips above shoulders?
    Or are you unable to lean back enough so you like tilt forward?

ReputationRep:
    So you start the lift with hips above shoulders?
    Or are you unable to lean back enough so you like tilt forward?
    I struggle to get my hips down with a neutral spine, once I break the weight off the floor my hips shoot up and my lower back rounds.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I struggle to get my hips down with a neutral spine, once I break the weight off the floor my hips shoot up and my lower back rounds.
    Angry cucumber Advice? I feel like you'll know what to say here

The only thing i will say is don't keep deadlifting. You know yourself if feels dodgy and at 70kg you'll be fine but once that weight goes up.... Snapcity is not somewhere you want to go bro

See implication's blog - we were talking about Limber 11. Look into that pre-lower body days. Mobility will be an issue for you i think (as it is for me), so i'd defo get to work on becoming more supple and less jammed up
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Foam roll, do some mobility stuff, get a vid of you deadlifting. Check out Alan Thrall and his deadlift videos

ReputationRep:
    Angry cucumber Advice? I feel like you'll know what to say here

The only thing i will say is don't keep deadlifting. You know yourself if feels dodgy and at 70kg you'll be fine but once that weight goes up.... Snapcity is not somewhere you want to go bro

See implication's blog - we were talking about Limber 11. Look into that pre-lower body days. Mobility will be an issue for you i think (as it is for me), so i'd defo get to work on becoming more supple and less jammed up
    Yeah I'm going to use rack pulls instead for while, if I can find a way of setting them up that is, since I don't have a proper rack to do them or squats etc from. I'll look at limber 11 and a few other things for mobility, thanks for the suggestion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.