Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BCam's Training Log Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Foam roll, do some mobility stuff, get a vid of you deadlifting. Check out Alan Thrall and his deadlift videos
    Yeah cheers I'll pick up a foam roller and try that with some other mobility stuff. Allan Thrall's channel looks really good I'll give it a watch over the weekend.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Yeah I'm going to use rack pulls instead for while, if I can find a way of setting them up that is, since I don't have a proper rack to do them or squats etc from. I'll look at limber 11 and a few other things for mobility, thanks for the suggestion.
    Yeah, do what Cucumber suggested.
    Get a vid up.

Hmmm i see. Do what you can i suppose.

Yeah, it's a good one and i think you'll quickly notice the exercises that you really struggle with which will indicate what your issues are. Abductors for me have been neglected so anything to do with them i struggle with or 'put extra emphasis on' is maybe a better phrase
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As well as Alan Thrall...
    Watch this:

https://youtu.be/rFoaFBNH_4s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    As well as Alan Thrall...
    Watch this:

https://youtu.be/rFoaFBNH_4s
    Great video, thanks. When I feel like my mobility has improved I'll start at 60kg again and make sure any weak links are addressed. Maybe my posterior chain is strong enough to lift heavier but my core/lower back isn't and that's why it is losing tightness. I'll warm up first with more mobility type stuff instead of just the barbell or whatever.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Great video, thanks. When I feel like my mobility has improved I'll start at 60kg again and make sure any weak links are addressed. Maybe my posterior chain is strong enough to lift heavier but my core/lower back isn't and that's why it is losing tightness. I'll warm up first with more mobility type stuff instead of just the barbell or whatever.
    No worries

Probably not bracing enough, not tight.

A good cue i use (i struggle with the leg engagement one) is before you lift triceps flared right out (if you do it double overhand grip it's easiest to feel) then you try and bend the bar. Your triceps will go from fully flared to where your biceps are almost pointing straight ahead. That gets you tight.

Will find supporting vid...

Also mobility. Bar might be too far away, you might not be sitting back enough.

Just work at it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/cehjj6dmNIo

(Just another way of getting 'tight' and i like it personally)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Debating getting rid of rows and working on my pullup strength since I can't do 3x8 pullups yet.
    Why is it one or the other? I'd say you should do both a vertical and horizontal row to hit your back fully and it helps keep your push to pull volume ration more even

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Why is it one or the other? I'd say you should do both a vertical and horizontal row to hit your back fully and it helps keep your push to pull volume ration more even
    I could do both I suppose. It was just because I'm doing a Deadlift (now a low rack pull) as well so it would be 3 pulling movements a session, 9 sets for back each session, 27 sets a week. Compared to 3 sets a session, 9 sets a week for say chest or shoulders or legs.
    I know it's not as simple as that there is carry over between lifts but it seems overkill for the back.
    If you think it's a good idea though I'd be happy to try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I could do both I suppose. It was just because I'm doing a Deadlift (now a low rack pull) as well so it would be 3 pulling movements a session, 9 sets for back each session, 27 sets a week. Compared to 3 sets a session, 9 sets a week for say chest or shoulders or legs.
    I know it's not as simple as that there is carry over between lifts but it seems overkill for the back.
    If you think it's a good idea though I'd be happy to try it.
    I don't really count deadlift as an upper back movement. I know it's involved but I never feel like I've trained it after deadlift. Maybe other people do but there's no overkill to me. If it feels over kill then I'd suggest it's because (I think you) are doing the same session three times a week which is an usual way of training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I don't really count deadlift as an upper back movement. I know it's involved but I never feel like I've trained it after deadlift. Maybe other people do but there's no overkill to me. If it feels over kill then I'd suggest it's because (I think you) are doing the same session three times a week which is an usual way of training
    I am currently doing the same session 3 times a week while I'm building up to some reasonable weights again. Once things get heavy I'll not be doing a heavy rack pull every session, I'll probably also alternate between heavy bench and lighter dumbbell ohp one session and heavy ohp with lighter dumbbell bench the next session.

In my head that makes sense but I'm not the most experienced of lifters on here so if any of you have suggestions as to a better way I could be training I'm always willing to learn.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I am currently doing the same session 3 times a week while I'm building up to some reasonable weights again. Once things get heavy I'll not be doing a heavy rack pull every session, I'll probably also alternate between heavy bench and lighter dumbbell ohp one session and heavy ohp with lighter dumbbell bench the next session.

In my head that makes sense but I'm not the most experienced of lifters on here so if any of you have suggestions as to a better way I could be training I'm always willing to learn.
    Deadlift should not be upper back (well i have never really felt it there - not in a taxing sense anyway)

The not going hard every session thing is something i'd be interested in hearing responses to, i know some people have a heavy day(s) and then higher volume days however other people will know more than me on that.

Lastly, do heavy rack pulls by all means but i think you should be lightly deadlifting to improve form and see if you can sort the back rounding you're reporting

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift should not be upper back (well i have never really felt it there - not in a taxing sense anyway)

The not going hard every session thing is something i'd be interested in hearing responses to, i know some people have a heavy day(s) and then higher volume days however other people will know more than me on that.

Lastly, do heavy rack pulls by all means but i think you should be lightly deadlifting to improve form and see if you can sort the back rounding you're reporting
    I've been doing a lot of reading this morning, I'm weighing up a few options and might change to a different program. I'll post later what I find and see what you guys think.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    I've been doing a lot of reading this morning, I'm weighing up a few options and might change to a different program. I'll post later what I find and see what you guys think.
    Cool cool.

What are your (longer-term) goals? More hypertrophy based or more strength based?

Tbh, just getting on a routine and sticking to it while eating enough will give you great progress. Your 10 stone at 5'9 so just lift (exact same goes for me)

ReputationRep:
    Cool cool.

What are your (longer-term) goals? More hypertrophy based or more strength based?

Tbh, just getting on a routine and sticking to it while eating enough will give you great progress. Your 10 stone at 5'9 so just lift (exact same goes for me)
    Hypertrophy is more of a priority for me but I will be achieving it through increasing strength.
    I'm looking at going to a different gym where I can squat., why limit my progress because of a few quid a month membership fee.
    The rack pull idea isn't great now I think about it. I am just masking my weak lower back and possible mobility issues. I should really just drop the weight down to 60kg again and work on it. I need to let my core develop to be able to hold it's self straight, instead of neglecting it just because the rest of my body can handle more weight.
    I need to start weighing myself every day and posting it here to keep myself accountable, no point eating 3200 calories a day as an arbitrary number if I'm not gaining enough or gaining too much while doing so.
    I've found a program that I like the look of, but there are other ideas I have found so will look further into each and if I can't decide I'll ask here which you would prefer to run.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCam.)
    Hypertrophy is more of a priority for me but I will be achieving it through increasing strength.
    I'm looking at going to a different gym where I can squat., why limit my progress because of a few quid a month membership fee.
    The rack pull idea isn't great now I think about it. I am just masking my weak lower back and possible mobility issues. I should really just drop the weight down to 60kg again and work on it. I need to let my core develop to be able to hold it's self straight, instead of neglecting it just because the rest of my body can handle more weight.
    I need to start weighing myself every day and posting it here to keep myself accountable, no point eating 3200 calories a day as an arbitrary number if I'm not gaining enough or gaining too much while doing so.
    I've found a program that I like the look of, but there are other ideas I have found so will look further into each and if I can't decide I'll ask here which you would prefer to run.
    Nothing to disagree with. Great points.

Yeah tag the usual suspects like BKS, Cucumber, Gone Revising, Implication etc (and others) and they'll give you great advice.

WoodyMKC knows all about Dorian Yates training and more hypertrophy.

However for now, just lift basically.

And yeah, don't avoid a weak point. I didn't squat much because it was difficult basically. That was 'weak' but it's what many do.

Not a flexible man either, I can change that but for ages i would avoid.

Nobody cares what you're deadlifting, just make sure you don't send yourself to snapcity. 60kg will be fine. Another plate or two and you'd start to encounter real issues.
    Send a vid in if unsure. Follow Omar Isuf and Supertraining on Youtube.

Watch Ed Coan's video at supertraining on Youtube.

Educate, research and then do. Then video as guarantee you'll think you're nailing it but probably aren't

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to disagree with. Great points.

Yeah tag the usual suspects like BKS, Cucumber, Gone Revising, Implication etc (and others) and they'll give you great advice.

WoodyMKC knows all about Dorian Yates training and more hypertrophy.

However for now, just lift basically.

And yeah, don't avoid a weak point. I didn't squat much because it was difficult basically. That was 'weak' but it's what many do.

Not a flexible man either, I can change that but for ages i would avoid.

Nobody cares what you're deadlifting, just make sure you don't send yourself to snapcity. 60kg will be fine. Another plate or two and you'd start to encounter real issues.
    Send a vid in if unsure. Follow Omar Isuf and Supertraining on Youtube.

Watch Ed Coan's video at supertraining on Youtube.

Educate, research and then do. Then video as guarantee you'll think you're nailing it but probably aren't
    Will do mate, thanks

ReputationRep:
    How many times per week would you like to lift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising II)
    How many times per week would you like to lift?
    I'm set on training full body either 3 times a week or every other day which would mean 3 times one week 4 times the next.

ReputationRep:
    Time for a new program. Hoping to ride this out for a long while, see what gains I can make in both size and strength.

I will be training every other day alternating between workout A and workout B.

Workout A
    Squat 4x6
    Overhead Press 4x6
    Neutral Grip Chin-Ups 4x6
    Overhead Tricep Extensions 3x10
    Rear Delt Fly 3x10

Workout B
    Deadlift 2x6
    Bench Press 4x6
    Dumbbell Rows 4x8
    Dumbbell Curls 3x10
    Rear Delt Fly 3x10

Weight will be added when all sets/reps are completed with good form and no real grinders.

ReputationRep:
    7th January 2017

Squat
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 6 / 6 / 6 / 6

Overhead Press
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 6
    30kg x 6 / 6 / 6 / 6

Neutral Grip Chin-Ups
    BW x 6 / 5 / 4 / 3

Overhead Tricep Extensions
    10kg x 10 / 10 / 10

Rear Delt Fly
    3.5kg x 10 / 10 / 10

Notes
    Started light on squats as I haven't done them in a while, form feels solid, I just felt a bit shakey because I've become weak after neglecting this movement.
    Overhead pressing gives me a pins and needles sort of sensation in my left elbow mid way through each rep, puts me off a little but doesn't hurt.
    Chin-ups are a tough one, hopefully I will get to the point where they are easy and I can do them weighted.
    Overhead extensions seem really easy for most of the reps then I suddenly hit a brick wall when I can't get another rep out.
    Rear delt flyes feel amazing on my upper back and rear delts, hopefully they help prevent any imbalances from pressing movements.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.