Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I put as my firm & insurance ? Cannot decide, advice ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,
    I have 5/5 offers to study geography at the following institutions - Southampton(AAA), UEA(ABB), Reading(ABB), Sussex (AAB) and Portsmouth (BBB).
    The above represents the order in which university I would like to attend.
    Realistically speaking, despite AAA predictions, I will most likely come out with ABB/BBB, which is alright considering at the start of year 12 I was predicted EDD. I achieved Distinction*(dropped) ,A(geography), B,B in year 12.

Despite me wanting to go to Southampton the most, AAA is unlikely so if I put that down as firm and UEA as insurance, there is a relatively high chance that I will not be accepted to either. On the other hand, what would happen if I put UEA as firm and Portsmouth as insurance then I do actually receive the grades for Southampton. I really am so confused as to what I should put as firm and insurance that it is distracting most of my time from directed study's and revision time at home, does anyone please have any advice as to how to decide firm/insurance and what I should do ? The problem is that I have chosen high unis and low unis and my most likely grades are in between these, so there is risk of not being accepted at all or attending a lower uni than the one preferred.

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry if this does not make sense or is posted in wrong forum.

Have a nice evening,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hate to do this : Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Imo, you never know what could happen and if you want to go to Southampton the most you might aswell firm it. This could motivate you to work hard aswell. If you feel you'll get ABB then just go for UEA. Picking unis with high grades can make you work harder. Plus how peak would it be if you end up getting AAA and you didn't apply, it's unlikely and highly risky to rely on getting into a RG through clearing.
    Just go for what you want, however if you are certain you won't be able to achieve AAA within the next 5/6 months (which I think is doable, as I'm trying to get that also) then just apply for the next two unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hi TSR,
    I have 5/5 offers to study geography at the following institutions - Southampton(AAA), UEA(ABB), Reading(ABB), Sussex (AAB) and Portsmouth (BBB).
    Realistically speaking, despite AAA predictions, I will most likely come out with ABB/BBB, which is alright considering at the start of year 12 I was predicted EDD. I achieved Distinction*(dropped) ,A(geography), B,B in year 12.

Despite me wanting to go to Southampton the most, AAA is unlikely so if I put that down as firm and UEA as insurance, there is a relatively high chance that I will not be accepted to either. On the other hand, what would happen if I put UEA as firm and Portsmouth as insurance then I do actually receive the grades for Southampton. I really am so confused as to what I should put as firm and insurance that it is distracting most of my time from directed study's and revision time at home, does anyone please have any advice as to how to decide firm/insurance and what I should do ? The problem is that I have chosen high unis and low unis and my most likely grades are in between these, so there is risk of not being accepted at all or attending a lower uni than the one preferred.

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry if this does not make sense or is posted in wrong forum.

Have a nice evening,
    Lee
    There is no need to make decisions about this now - you have at least until early May to do this. See Firm and insurance choices for more information. You might have a very different view about what grades you are likely to achieve, let alone which uni/s you really like, by April, so don't rush in when there's no need to.

ReputationRep:
    Firm Southampton, insure UEA. UEA would probably let you in with BBB.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'd be surprised if Southampton didn't let you in with ABB tbh.

You've got lots of time. Research the accommodation guarantees of your choices for insurance students before deciding. If there's a high chance you'll miss your firm offer conditions then having a good insurance that you're happy with and without lots of stress finding somewhere to live is a good plan.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You need to look at more than grades. Are the courses exactly the same? Same course title doesn't mean the modules are exactly the same. Where do you really want to live for the next 3-4 years? Does one degree / uni offer opportunities that another doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to go to Southhampton, firm it and then work your arse off.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-f800-69803
    Most popular subjects students studied before attending
    Geography (65% got an A)
    Maths (29% got a B)
    Biology (32% got a B)

If you can get an A in Geography A level then your chances of getting in are very high.

ReputationRep:
    TSR info & advice about making these choices here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...urance-choices

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all, your responses were very useful.
    It is greatly appreciated
    Have a good weekend

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all, your responses were very useful.
    It is greatly appreciated
    Have a good weekend
    Tell us what you decide to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Tell us what you decide to do!
    I will, need to do some more research first as PQ said. As soon I make a decision, I'll let you know !
    Thanks again
    Hope you have a good weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

Have a nice evening,
    Lee
    Put Southampton down as your firm it's a great city for student life (I know I lived there for Uni) Don't put down Portsmouth I was there for a term and really wasn't happy ( went down for a gig a while ago compared to Southampton it's a bit scum now) and as it's your bottom choice it's wouldn't be a good thing for you.

You usually put down your two favroute places so we can forget Sussex and Reading and Portsmouth if your predictions are correct you'll have a great time at UEA and if not you could end up living here

or here

or if you in UEA you could end up here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.