marivic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can't get top marks in my econ essays cause I still don't understand the exam technique. Someone help please??
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Evaluation is as simple as pointing out flaws in your own argument. For example, if I were to say that the goverment should raise the minimum wage, with all the analysis as needed (not gonna go into the detail needed for this) i.e. higher incomes leading to higher spending leading to a shift in AD , an evaluative point is to say that this would raise costs for businesses, meaning to produce the same level of output they have to spend more, meaning increased prices for consumers, which could make the raise pointless or even make things worse if the increase in prices ends up reducing real purchasing power.
marivic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
Evaluation is as simple as pointing out flaws in your own argument. For example, if I were to say that the goverment should raise the minimum wage, with all the analysis as needed (not gonna go into the detail needed for this) i.e. higher incomes leading to higher spending leading to a shift in AD , an evaluative point is to say that this would raise costs for businesses, meaning to produce the same level of output they have to spend more, meaning increased prices for consumers, which could make the raise pointless or even make things worse if the increase in prices ends up reducing real purchasing power.

Ooh that makes sense thank you so much!!
azizadil1998
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Evaluation involves making up countless sentences of things which you would never say in real life, the biggest b.s. that you can think of in 1 hour 30 minutes. J.k., its basically breaking the ceterus paribus condition, and going out of the whole theoretical thing, so when you say a depreciated exchange rate may help, you can say in which cases it may not help. That's the easiest evaluation point, as well as short and long term implications which you can do in everything. Another one for some questions is 'more information required', the case study/extract they give will likely have not all the information you need to come to a definite conclusion but it should have enough, but you can evaluate and say you need more to blah blah blah
rajeevnairnv
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Evaluation is

for a question/argument follow this pattern
1. Writing positive points
2. Writing negative points
3. Balanced arguments
4. possible if conditions [this will happen only if these conditions are met]

this gives the examiner a clear picture of your thought process...balancing all angles and understanding the situations possible and not possible.
Aanyung-hello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
reaxing ceteris paribus seems to be the go-to evaluation point when you cant find any. cant go wrong and you sound cool af using latin
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by marivic)
I can't get top marks in my econ essays cause I still don't understand the exam technique. Someone help please??
hopeless' answer is excellent, but to bring it to a more broader and high level abstraction, evaluation is about critical thinking. It's how you show you haven't just memorised a textbook, but have actually understood and grasped the concepts you're learning. You basically extend the theory into considering other areas like viability (theory sounds good, but empirically? it may not hold), drawbacks (pointing out the disadvantages of a proposal as hopeless says) etc. so you're not just reciting the theory, but judging whether it is actually a good idea.
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Posters above are right. But it doesn't have to be a flaw or possible drawbacks to your arguments. You could, for example, also think about in what situations would your reasoning be exacerbated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads