Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi!

I've been going out with my boyfriend for just over 2 years now, and I really really want the relationship to work. Things were nearly perfect for the first year, but I just get the feeling he's bored of me.

Things to consider: Texting / phone calling seems a chore for him, I feel like I'm always the one organising if we want to meet up unless there's already an event happening, and that every time I bring it up with him he gets very upset and defensive.

I know for a fact he isn't cheating, so that card is ruled out.

It's just the lack of communication, I only really ever get one line responses from him and I feel that it's a chore for him to text me. He even says things like "well we don't have to text everyday". I'd be okay with that, if it made him happy, but I'd feel even more distanced from him than I already do.

Every time I try and bring this up with him he gets so defensive and upset, and goes on about how I'm now so difficult to please and he feels sorry for himself, and that really hurts because now I feel like I can't even discuss these things with him.

It kills me inside when this happens, and everything else about him is amazing, but I'm always gentle with it and I'm not one to accuse someone of anything. He used to be so excited to see me and now it's hard to get barely a decent text conversation everyday.

Is it too much to ask that you take more than a friendly / one-line text interest with your girlfriend / boyfriend?

Please help! He is honestly perfect despite this lack of communication. Thank you!

Update: I'm really not a naggy girlfriend, when we're not able to be together in person it seems like our relationship is more of a friendly one than a relationship one, and I'm not one to make someone spend 24/7 on me, everyone needs their own space.. Maybe we just think differently of how much space we both need in our lives from people..
    • Political Ambassador

Think about what brought the two of you together in the first place and then try doing some of those activities together. This might ignite a spark that had been gone for awhile and might help him remember why he enjoyed spending time with you.

Or you can do the opposite, try to get out of your comfort zone. When you feel bored in your relationship, maybe it is time to introduce something new, something that brings more life into your relationship. You'll have newfound conversation topics and you'll be happier together when you get a breath of fresh air. Get creative and try something exciting.

And acknowledge that boredom is normal after all, but with a little effort you can get the relationship thriving again.

(Original post by EC)
    Think about what brought the two of you together in the first place and then try doing some of those activities together. This might ignite a spark that had been gone for awhile and might help him remember why he enjoyed spending time with you.

Or you can do the opposite, try to get out of your comfort zone. When you feel bored in your relationship, maybe it is time to introduce something new, something that brings more life into your relationship. You'll have newfound conversation topics and you'll be happier together when you get a breath of fresh air. Get creative and try something exciting.

And acknowledge that boredom is normal after all, but with a little effort you can get the relationship thriving again.
    Hey EC! Thank you for the advice!

We met at dancing, and we took a break from it due to exams and stuff. We're back into it but it doesn't seem to have reignited any sparks - I really love dancing but again it seems emotionless with him sometimes there.

What kind of things would you recommend for new? When we are in person things work almost perfectly, but it's when we're apart that he suddenly looses interest
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey EC! Thank you for the advice!

We met at dancing, and we took a break from it due to exams and stuff. We're back into it but it doesn't seem to have reignited any sparks - I really love dancing but again it seems emotionless with him sometimes there.

What kind of things would you recommend for new? When we are in person things work almost perfectly, but it's when we're apart that he suddenly looses interest
    Emotionless? Are you sure there isn't something else going on? Or someone else?

I mean feelings can't just simply die after 2 years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.