Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 17 years old make and currently learning how to drive but haven't purchased the car yet. I'm going for something simple and easy and my mom told me to get something really cheap like £300-£700, although I'm afraid the car might break down wishing a week or so of purchasing it.
    I have some cars in mind to buy but I'm afraid of the insurance and want people to help me out, like could you explain to me which car is suitable for a 17 years old male? And the insurance charges? Please help.
    I have three cars in mind already which are; BMW 1 series m sport 2007, Vauxhall Astra 2007 or later, Peugeot 307 or corsa. I'm more interested on the insurance and that and that's why I want to know, please guys help me if you can.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imafidon)
    Hi, I'm a 17 years old make and currently learning how to drive but haven't purchased the car yet. I'm going for something simple and easy and my mom told me to get something really cheap like £300-£700, although I'm afraid the car might break down wishing a week or so of purchasing it.
    I have some cars in mind to buy but I'm afraid of the insurance and want people to help me out, like could you explain to me which car is suitable for a 17 years old male? And the insurance charges? Please help.
    I have three cars in mind already which are; BMW 1 series m sport 2007, Vauxhall Astra 2007 or later, Peugeot 307 or corsa. I'm more interested on the insurance and that and that's why I want to know, please guys help me if you can.
    Cheers
    If your going to buy your first car it doesnt have to be glissin if you catch my drift (get it?) nah but insurance is going to be very expensive for you because your'e a new driver, look around online and gl

ReputationRep:
    I'll look for some for you. Bare in mind the insurance will be quite high. It will be around £2k. If you don't mind me asking how much money have you got saved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_786)
    I'll look for some for you. Bare in mind the insurance will be quite high. It will be around £2k. If you don't mind me asking how much money have you got saved?
    Hi, I have about £1200 saved already

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have about £1200 saved already
    Diesel or Petrol. I recommend Diesel. Is your parent willing to give lend you some money?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-O...sAAOSw44BYa900

Have a look at this. Decent for a first car. Go for a Diesel with under 100k miles. If you get any family to lend you about 1k. You could get like a solid 59 plate Corsa with low mileage around 50k for less than 2k if you're lucky

ReputationRep:
    It can help to put your parents on the insurance with you as the main driver, that brings it down..I paid £850 for my first year of insurance, that's three people business insurance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    It can help to put your parents on the insurance with you as the main driver, that brings it down..I paid £850 for my first year of insurance, that's three people business insurance...

Hi, thanks for the reply. But my mom doesn't drive. I only have one parent

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-O...sAAOSw44BYa900

Have a look at this. Decent for a first car. Go for a Diesel with under 100k miles. If you get any family to lend you about 1k. You could get like a solid 59 plate Corsa with low mileage around 50k for less than 2k if you're lucky
    Ok I will have a look at it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well you're gonna get f*cked no matter how you do it because the moment insurance was made a legal requirement the insurance companies' beady little eyes lit up and their talons have been sunk into our wallets ever since

Take a Pass Plus course and look for a policy with a black box, can save you £££.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadVisionary)
    Well you're gonna get f*cked no matter how you do it because the moment insurance was made a legal requirement the insurance companies' beady little eyes lit up and their talons have been sunk into our wallets ever since

Take a Pass Plus course and look for a policy with a black box, can save you £££.
    Okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    Diesel or Petrol. I recommend Diesel. Is your parent willing to give lend you some money?
    I actually don't like diesel, I think I will go for diesel maybe but I'm not sure. Do you recommend any car or?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadVisionary)
    You REALLY don't like insurance companies, do you? :biggrin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    You REALLY don't like insurance companies, do you? :biggrin:
    What gave it away?

ReputationRep:
    I actually don't like diesel, I think I will go for diesel maybe but I'm not sure. Do you recommend any car or?
    A Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel is my first car and its great. Fast and big enough for me, I prefer the diesel because in the motorways it can develop speed much more quickly than the petrol equivalent, however off the line it does come slower.

BMW 1 series M Sport is a no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.