Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i was researching careers in law when i came across ipapprenticeshs and the oppurtunity of becoming a lawyer without going to univeristy really struck out to me. i was strolling through the official government apprenticehsip webiste and i found an opening for an apprenticeship at Eversheds (oooh!) and they talked of a six year long apprenticeship that at the end would result in qualifying as a solicitor. i was just wondering if ayone had undergone this or something similar and if you could decribe what you studied/did and your experience
    how intense was it, was it "overbearing"
    what did u do to secure a place (what kind of stuff did u have on ur CV?)
    thnx please excuse all the typos and overall bad structure xx
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Here's an article talking about exactly what you are looking into, 6 year apprenticeships into the legal sector:
    http://advice.milkround.com/articled...-and-an-income
    Hopefully this can give you more of an incite into it!

Here's some more that might help you:

New apprenticeships qualifying candidates as solicitors:
    http://advice.milkround.com/a-return...rnt-on-the-job

Legal overview
    http://advice.milkround.com/sector/legal

Sector insight: Law
    http://advice.milkround.com/sector-insight-law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puglife09)
    so i was researching careers in law when i came across ipapprenticeshs and the oppurtunity of becoming a lawyer without going to univeristy really struck out to me. i was strolling through the official government apprenticehsip webiste and i found an opening for an apprenticeship at Eversheds (oooh!) and they talked of a six year long apprenticeship that at the end would result in qualifying as a solicitor. i was just wondering if ayone had undergone this or something similar and if you could decribe what you studied/did and your experience
    how intense was it, was it "overbearing"
    what did u do to secure a place (what kind of stuff did u have on ur CV?)
    thnx please excuse all the typos and overall bad structure xx
    I imagine you've looked into a bit more yourself by now and probably have some of the answers.

The solicitor apprenticeship has only been going for one year. I.e. last year (September 2016) was the first ever cohort of solicitor apprentices. So no one really has a full insight into what the programme is like and certainly not what the qualifying exams are like, as they haven't even been created yet!

To make a slight distinction between the solicitor apprenticeship and the "articled apprenticeship" mentioned by "Milkround" above - the solicitor apprenticeship doesn't require you to pay for the degree. In the example you talked about, Eversheds will pay for your law degree and other associated legal training. You get 1 day off per week to study (of which every 3 weeks is face to face study with tutors and other students at BPP University - close to Eversheds office in central Manchester). The other 4 days a week involve you working for Eversheds. They'll pay you £15,200 in the first year and it should rise "incrementally" each year. You get 26 days off per year plus bank holidays. There's a range of other benefits too.

Basically, you're paid a good wage (for a beginner) and you incur no debt/costs. You also get a lot of practical experience. The main downside is you miss out on Uni (and it's associated fun, life experience and extra curricular activities) and you're basically working a full time job (so no long holidays when it's not term time etc).

For reference, I've applied this year and was recently invited to the assessment day/interview. Have you applied as well or are you looking to in the future?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Corporate Lawyer)
    I imagine you've looked into a bit more yourself by now and probably have some of the answers.

The solicitor apprenticeship has only been going for one year. I.e. last year (September 2016) was the first ever cohort of solicitor apprentices. So no one really has a full insight into what the programme is like and certainly not what the qualifying exams are like, as they haven't even been created yet!

To make a slight distinction between the solicitor apprenticeship and the "articled apprenticeship" mentioned above - the solicitor apprenticeship doesn't require you to pay for the degree, in the example you talked about Eversheds will pay for your law degree and other associated legal training. You get 1 day off per week to study (of which every 3 weeks is face to face study with tutors and other students at BPP University - close to Eversheds office in central Manchester). The other 4 days a week involve you working for Eversheds. They'll pay you £15,200 in the first year and it should rise "incrementally" each year. You get 26 days off per year plus bank holidays. There's a range of other benefits too.

Basically, you're paid a good wage (for a beginner) and you incur no debt/costs. You also get a lot of practical experience. The main downside is you miss out on Uni (and it's associated fun, life experience and extra curricular activities) and you're basically working a full time job (so no long holidays when it's not term time etc).

For reference, I've applied this year and was recently invited to the assessment day/interview. Have you applied as well or are you looking to in the future?
    Are you a corporate lawyer? Confused by the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Are you a corporate lawyer? Confused by the name.
    Not yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corporate Lawyer)

To make a slight distinction between the solicitor apprenticeship and the "articled apprenticeship" mentioned by "Milkround" above - the solicitor apprenticeship doesn't require you to pay for the degree. In the example you talked about, Eversheds will pay for your law degree and other associated legal training. You get 1 day off per week to study (of which every 3 weeks is face to face study with tutors and other students at BPP University - close to Eversheds office in central Manchester). The other 4 days a week involve you working for Eversheds. They'll pay you £15,200 in the first year and it should rise "incrementally" each year. You get 26 days off per year plus bank holidays. There's a range of other benefits too.

Thank you for your reply and i also want to become a corporate lawyer! I haven't applied, i am in year eleven and hope to get an apprenticeship after i complete my A-levels. Just out of curiosity (if you know) when would be the ideal time to begin applying/when do law firms usually advertise openings for apprenticeships?
    Given that some sites state you would most likely start out with admin/paralegal tasks, do you have to have administration work experience?
    Or at least, do you?
    I honestly wish you the best of luck for your interview, I hope you get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puglife09)
    Thank you for your reply and i also want to become a corporate lawyer! I haven't applied, i am in year eleven and hope to get an apprenticeship after i complete my A-levels. Just out of curiosity (if you know) when would be the ideal time to begin applying/when do law firms usually advertise openings for apprenticeships?
    Given that some sites state you would most likely start out with admin/paralegal tasks, do you have to have administration work experience?
    Or at least, do you?
    I honestly wish you the best of luck for your interview, I hope you get it!
    Cheers. My experience/CV is a bit unique (you can PM me if you want) and I do actually have experience of doing admin, in a law firm no less but it's definitely not a requirement. The requirement is that you can do it not that you have done it. The firms are well aware that most applicants will still be in school/college and so will not have much, if any, work experience. Work experience would of course still be beneficial but you can demonstrate the necessary skills through extra curricular activities and "extra" things you've done at school. Also, admin work is what you'll start off doing but you'll hopefully end up doing trainee/solicitor level work - so the potential to be able to do that is what they're really looking for. By that I mean, they don't require you to have legal knowledge - they'll teach you all that - they just want to know if you're the kind of person that they and their clients can work well with (so they look for strong communication and teamworking skills etc).

Eversheds and a few firms in the North East started advertising around December, as for other firms I literally don't know and hope it's soon - otherwise it looks like there's not going to be many firms offering it all. There's still plenty of time before a September 2017 start though and I believe most firms last year did advertise around Easter time. As you can see it varies quite a lot and really you just have keep on the look out. Obviously there are also a lot more level 3 apprenticeships available, some of which (but not all) claim to offer the "potential" for progression to the level 7 apprenticeship (for a shorter 5 year duration but 7 years in total if you include the level 3) - so you have to be careful and weigh up your options. Also, it can be hard to tell how serious they are about progressing you to a solicitor role especially since it's in their interests to say they are. Having said that I imagine most of them just don't want to make a big 6 year commitment to an unproven 18 year old, so it is understandable although of course a minority might be unscrupulous and will just try to make you a "permanent paralegal".

As for the actual time to apply - as long as it's a few days before the deadline you'll be fine. If you leave it a bit later, they might think you're a little disorganised but that's a relatively minor point and they don't usually read too much into it, for example, it didn't stop me! Although my excuse is I've been rather late in turning to Law in general!

ReputationRep:
    Are the solicitor apprenticeships competitive?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.