The Student Room Group

Is it a problem if my PS is a bit shorter than the limit?

It is 3488 characters out from 4000. But I found it (and others as well) pretty good and it is complete. Any other thing would not be relevant to the course and would feel unnecessary.
Original post by Akalamago
It is 3488 characters out from 4000. But I found it (and others as well) pretty good and it is complete. Any other thing would not be relevant to the course and would feel unnecessary.

If you feel you couldn't write more then stick with it as it is
Have you included like extra-curricular and why studying the subject at a further level interests you etc?
Reply 3
Original post by Hannaha124
Have you included like extra-curricular and why studying the subject at a further level interests you etc?

Yep, I wrote about why I'm interested in the subject, and I wrote about some extra-curricular activities which are relevant for the course. Of course I could write some more like sports but it is really not relevant for Politics and IR (and for the skills like determination, leadership etc.. stuff, they are there in the relevant activities).
Yep, I wrote about why I'm interested in the subject, and I wrote about some extra-curricular activities which are relevant for the course. Of course I could write some more like sports but it is really not relevant for Politics and IR (and for the skills like determination, leadership etc.. stuff, they are there in the relevant activities).

Fair enough, but you could also say alongside my studies I enjoy..... Just cos you have a lot of space.
I'm applying for Politics too, where are you applying ?

Hi,

We have a video on this page http://www.staffs.ac.uk/helping-hand/ called '5 things your statement needs' so you could double check that you have everything you need. If you do have everything covered then personally I wouldn't add more words for the sake of it as it may take away from the points you really want to get across.

If you want to get some more tailored advice from our experts you are more than welcome to use our personal statement checker tool which is also on the same page.

Hope that helps!

Sam :h:

With line breaks between paragraphs that must be pretty close to the 47 line limit anyway?

What does the UCAS Apply preview page say?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
With line breaks between paragraphs that must be pretty close to the 47 line limit anyway?

What does the UCAS Apply preview page say?

It says 40 lines and 3495 characters. Plus it deletes the extra lines added to make it look normal. Should I use the remaining lines to make it nicer or it doesn't matter (it would be 44 lines then)?
It says 40 lines and 3495 characters. Plus it deletes the extra lines added to make it look normal. Should I use the remaining lines to make it nicer or it doesn't matter (it would be 44 lines then)?

You should have a blank line between each of your paragraphs.

If you want to include a little bit more then do a bit of research into the topics covered by all of your degree choices and talk about which areas you're looking forward to studying in more detail.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
You should have a blank line between each of your paragraphs.

If you want to include a little bit more then do a bit of research into the topics covered by all of your degree choices and talk about which areas you're looking forward to studying in more detail.

I don't think that missing blank lines are a problem. My brother's statement was sent like that (all the paragraphs in one without blank lines) and he got offers from all the 5 unis (and I don't think it was an exceptional PS :biggrin: ).
I don't think that missing blank lines are a problem. My brother's statement was sent like that (all the paragraphs in one without blank lines) and he got offers from all the 5 unis (and I don't think it was an exceptional PS :biggrin: ).

It's rare for a PS to result in a rejection. It's rarer still for the formatting to cause that.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to format a PS as well as you can and make it easier for the admissions staff to read.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
It's rare for a PS to result in a rejection. It's rarer still for the formatting to cause that.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea to format a PS as well as you can and make it easier for the admissions staff to read.

What about the reference letter? My teacher wrote it a bit longer than he shoud have, and now the only way he can upload it is to delete the blank lines. Then, it's not a problem as well, right?
Reply 12
Original post by Hannaha124
Fair enough, but you could also say alongside my studies I enjoy..... Just cos you have a lot of space.
I'm applying for Politics too, where are you applying ?

Oh sorry for the late reply. I chose Queen Mary, Goldsmith, Reading, Sussex and City. They might not be the best for the subject but overall they are good unis. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending