Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want some more things to do. I've got a part time job at a study centre. What else can I do?!
    Ideas like volunteering, dofe etc. I'm 18 and live in London if this helps! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by SashaF)
    I want some more things to do. I've got a part time job at a study centre. What else can I do?!
    Ideas like volunteering, dofe etc. I'm 18 and live in London if this helps! Thanks
    I have moved this into Gap Years, maybe try Camp America or maybe a working visa abroad like Canada or Australia.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to do in that gap year. Do you want it to be relaxed and easy or something more academically accepted or valuable. Whats your budget?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Want to spend your summer working in America? Amazing experience, good for your CV and you get to travel! https://www.campamerica.co.uk/ Let us know if you have any Q's
    Pops CA

ReputationRep:
    I did Camp America. It was an awesome experience. Met tons of new people.
    • TSR Support Team

PGL is also a fairly good one, if you like working with children and meeting lots of new people.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What are you hoping to do after your gap year? If you're looking to start a degree/ apprenticeship/ job, you could also spend some time this year getting some relevant work experience - even if you already have a place confirmed, some work experience will really help you later on when applying for jobs/ internships etc. Do you have any long term career plans? If it's science related let me know, I can suggest some ideas

Once you've saved up some money from your part time job, you could consider spending some of it (don't go too crazy on the spending though...) travelling - you can go backpacking in a lot of Asian countries for ridiculously cheap prices, or perhaps go inter-railing around Europe while we're still in the EU

ReputationRep:
    ICS seems like a good idea if you can get the time off. I'm planning on going myself some day!

http://www.volunteerics.org/
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me about this organisation named WWOOF. You can sign up to go to another country for a period of time (between two weeks and six months). It is free! The only thing you need to pay is your airplane ticket. Once arrived, you will live with a host family and help them around their farm. I thought it is interesting so some of you may be interested

ReputationRep:
    Is Bunacamp still around?

ReputationRep:
    Look at camp america working in a summer camp. Then after camp people often go travelling with people they met from camp. Or they book a camp america trek which look really good.

ReputationRep:
    Are you only looking for ideas in the UK or abroad? There are lots of options but it really depends on your interests. Like people have said above you could work at a summer camp in the United States - this will give you something to look forward to during summer and a nice break from studying Or for something rewarding search volunteering programs abroad or apply to volunteer locally in the UK if you prefer to stay close to home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiser)
    Depends on what you want to do in that gap year. Do you want it to be relaxed and easy or something more academically accepted or valuable. Whats your budget?
    Im looking for anything and everything!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Im looking for anything and everything!
    Definitely check us out at www.campamerica.co.uk! We offer an all inclusive package and are also heading around the UK to do Info Sessions if you wish to find out more! Let us know if you have any questions: https://www.campamerica.co.uk/explore/events - Sophie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.